Schools telephone system failure.

I am just wondering why in this day & age the SIC'S supposed "resiliant" network failed.

On Friday 4th February there was was a power failure at my daughters school due to a transformer being on fire. They were all sent home early.

On reading the school news letter last night I was horrified at the fact the Headteacher had to stand in one specific part of the school in order to get a mobile signal to contact all parents to let them know the school had to close. I believe it to be a member of staffs own mobile phone.

The power failure caused all communications to fail at the school.

I find this to be a very serious safety issue for all our children attending all schools throughout Shetland. I think the council need to spend money where it is quite obviously needed.

So can anyone give me an answer to this question.

How can this network be allowed to be in place with no back up in our School?

While you're at it you could enquire how many schools have adequate emergency lighting and heating, plus a food supply that doesn't require power to stop it going bad or to be cooked, in case of power failure as a result of snow which has also blocked the roads preventing the pupils from getting home.

In a place like Lerwick its virtually a non-issue, as if nothing else the power is underground and almost never goes off. In country areas its a very real issue, given the appropriate conditions power can be down for days, and roads impassable for at least 24 hours. Such events granted are once in every 10-25 year things, and usually relatively localised, which is fine until one comes along and is most intense in an area where a school is located.

Luckily in the past when a school has been so affected its been a secondary, and 12+ year olds can more or less look after themselves. With the current and ongoing trend of closing primary schools more and more young bairns are being bussed further and further, its only a matter of time before some school somewhere ends up with the power off, because of a sudden snowfall, which has also either prevented the buses getting to the school, or if they had made it there, by the time the bairns are boarded, conditions are deteriorating so rapidly drivers refuse to set out, as they do not believe they can get everyone home safely.

We're overdue one as it is, its over 30 years since it last happened that I can remember. Does every school have adequate emergency gas or similar heaters, emergency lighting, tinned etc food stored ready to heat, light and feed the entire school roll for at least 24 hours? Last time round 30 years ago, there wasn't one damn thing stored in preparation for such an event.

^^

I'm not sure why you are so concerned. The available back-up system of using a mobile phone worked. What back-up system do you suggest would you have wanted?

Maybe an old fashioned hard wired landline phone left installed and functional in every school would be a sensible. They takes what power they need from the phone network, and that can usually hold up for at least 48 hours in to a power cut.

I see the OPs point, its hardly what folk expect in the 21st Century, when the only ability a school has of contacting parents, is the good luck that one of the staff just happened to have a mobile on them that the school could borrow, and the good luck that there was somewhere in or around the school the mobile signal was strong enough to be used, and that somebody managed to find it. Its hardly what most folk would consider an adequate Plan B.

^^

I'm not sure why you are so concerned. The available back-up system of using a mobile phone worked. What back-up system do you suggest you would have wanted?

Edited to correct word order.

I am concerned. What if there is an incident at the school that requires the emergency services??

If there had been a major power failure throughout shetland there would of been no mobile phone signal.

I think that an analogue phone plugged into the phone line as I have at home, this would work at all times as the exchanges have back up generators.

I am concerned. What if there is an incident at the school that requires the emergency services??

If there had been a major power failure throughout shetland there would of been no mobile phone signal.

The likelihood of both happening at the same time is vanishingly low, not zero admittedly, but so unlikely that I believe the current set-up is adequate.

However, if you feel that it is dangerous, you can take the issue up with the school and/or the Schools Service. (You may have already done this).