Alternatives to MySpace

Hambone

Just thought I'd throw up some sites that I've come across when looking for music to put podcasts together on. Although on MySpace some of the bands allow a download of a track does that mean I can play it on a podcast or not I don't know ?

This site http://music.podshow.com/ lists music that bands have uploaded and podcasters can use without having to worry about permissions, includes signed bands to major labels.

http://garageband.com/ came across this site this week but haven't got to grips with it yet but again it is on the musicians side helping to promote their music and distribute it to an anudience.

http://iacmusic.com/about.htm again just discovered this one and will need to investigte further but again its another outlet on the web to get your music heard.

I would recommend the podshow site as it removes a hassle for podcasters trying to track the bands down and getting permissions to play music and there a lot of podcasts using podsafe music plus you as the musician will be notified when your tracks are played by a podcaster.

there is www.tagworld.com too, but I don't know how good it is.

At Myspace, if you register as an artist, then you can upload 4 of your podcasts which can be downloaded. Myspace is probably the best one because then I'll put it in the thread at the top :wink:

MySpace is all well and good for discovering music but as a podcaster I still have to contact the band/management/publisher to get permissions to pla the music.

Just pointing out other growing resources for bands, especially in the States, for a band to get there music out there.

For example there is a Blues festival podcast released this week which another podcaster in the States will play the trailer for but will also play two tracks from as well. When the local bands podcast is out next week I was going to ask him to do the same after he had listened to the podcast. But again as its me that has got the permissions I will have to ask everybody again if it is okay for my friend in the States to play the tracks he wants.

His podcast is called Murphys Saloon and is based in Chicago, I've asked another four blues podcasts to play the trailer and if they do and pick up on the music being played then its an instant worldwide audience which they wouldn't necessarily have using just MySpace. Plus the demographic of MySpace is completely different from that of a podcast.

There is another thread that asked about using the internet to spread Shetland music and I'm just posting up three alternatives.

Since the rise of The Arctic Monkeys, mySpace seems to have become clogged with bands hoping to become the "next big thing"...despite 90% of them sounding like bad Green Day tribute bands.

Its too true. I do like Arctic Monkeys but myspace takes the blame for the rise of the worlds worst band: Fall Out Boy.

Here are some other websites that may be useful. They aren't homepage sites like myspace, but it's good for getting hold of decent music.

http://hype.non-standard.net/ - This site collectes all the music/mp3 posted by music blogsites and has them all in a simple list that you can click on. A lot of good (and very diverse) music is on this site.

www.pandora.com - This site is like lastfm.com in that is essentially an online radio station where you can mould what you listen to. Simply enter a name of a Band (e.g. - Oasis) and it will then play tracks that have simlar music/ lyric styles form it's online database. Note, that it asks you to sign up after a few plays (it is US only) but simply copy & paste in any ZIP Code address.