Recording Fiddle

Jordan

Hi,

Can anyone give me any tips for recording a fiddle? I have a condenser mic and a Shure SM58. I'm also wondering about where we should aim the fiddle and what kind of room we should record in (I'm doing it at home). Any suggestions for EQ and reverb would be good too. The songs are just acoustic guitar, vocal and fiddle.

thanks!

By all means try the 58 Jordan, there's nowt wrong with experimenting, but I would imagine you would have a lot more success with the condenser.

I've never recorded a fiddle but there's a man around these parts who has..........PB where are you?

Keep in mind that, as with any good recording, the key is taking your time and experimenting with room set up and mic positioning.

I would say avoid the SM58, or any other dynamic mic. It won't pick up enough of the high end. The recording will sound pretty dull, with no top end presence. Any reasonable capacitor mic should get a good sound

If you have a spare recording channel, you may aswell record the 58 in tandem with a capacitor mic as an experiment (i.e. psuedo stereo) however, that can introduce phasing problems between the mics, which will make the fiddle sound very thin.

The best thing to do is get a set of headphones on, listen to the mic and move it around the fiddle till you hear something you like. In my experience, its best to avoid close miking, as it picks up too much bowing noise. A boom stand over the player's right shoulder worked quite well for me

You shouldn't need to use EQ if your recording was a good 'un. However, a hi pass filter can clean things up a good bit (i.e. get rid off everything below 100hz, there's nothing but rumble below that, and a fiddle range is way above) Garnish with reverb to taste. I've found a peerie bit of short slap back delay, followed by reverb, can thicken up the sound of a fiddle no end

haha McFly has 666 posts on the 6/6/06! :twisted: :twisted:

Well spotted Andy!

I did in fact open a portal to hell on the Shetlink forums yesterday.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of opening it in the "Shetland Acommodation" section, so there was nobody around to fall in :cry:

Well the last few times that Vicky and I have recorded in the studio has been with a decent condensor mic (neuman) but you can achieve a great sound with cheaper versions too. Berhinger make a good mic for pretty cheap. It can also be done with proper fiddle mics which stick onto the body of the fiddle and catch the vibrations. (Vicky has her one one. I presume it is with her you will be recording).

Cheers. Jack.