Hurtigruten Service Live Broadcasting

That's odd because when I came across it on Sunday it had been on the go for about 2 days and the headline was that the viewing figures were amazing with many people watching it in other countries.

They had stats for it all but I can't find it now.

From what I saw they certainly got big turnouts of both people and boats(which might not be the norm!) when they arrived in the various ports.

Mind you, maybe some of it was the waving and "I'm on tv factor"!.

Really enjoyed watching this over the last few days. Had it on in the background.

If you missed it you can watch it back again, clicking where ever you want on the route to see that part of the journey.

Around 2.5 million, so just over half of Norway's population tuned in at some point over the last 5 days!

mabye its just me lol having sailed into norways fjords, ports etc ive seen enough haha!

its still a good idea but some place names would be nice on the tv i didnt see any but then i didnt watch any great length.

nice to see how many small boats norweigns have!! they were everywhere!

its still a good idea but some place names would be nice on the tv i didnt see any but then i didnt watch any great length.

The place names came up at every port. And in the top right hand side it always said what leg of the journey they were on. Plus if the Nordnorge passed another ship, or went under a bridge, or passed something with interest, the name and some information would come up on screen.

There was also archive footage being played on screen in less interesting areas.

In most of the bigger ports there would be a reporter come off the ship and interview people of interest. Plus there was someone going around at times interviewing passengers and crew on board. Most of it was in Norwegian however.

nice to see how many small boats norweigns have!! they were everywhere!

The ships officers were trying to encourage small boat owners not to sail directly in front of the ship as if there was an engine failure on one of these small boats then it could be very dangerous, but even on the last day small boats were still all over the place, clearly you don't need much of an education to sail one of these things!

It was a fantastic thing to do one off! Great advertisement for Norway and the Hurtigruten, and something only a state funded tv company could ever do. It's something that sets it apart from the commercial outfits and something the BBC could take a few lessons from (instead of more dancing on ice programmes).

I can't remember the exact figure of how much it cost, but when you consider it filled 5 days of tv, it was a relatively cheap operation to carry out.

They have put the front facing camera available for download in HD as a torrent as well as all the ships GPS data with a 1000 euro prize for the person for the person who does the most interesting or unsual output with it.

i can honestly say i never saw any place names norweigen or not (as i can understand alot of it lol) even had the bosun telling us where the ship was in a fjord where a large part of it is falling away (one hell of a wave will come from thisn when it goes, name evades me tho)

did it not get a record for longest continous tv show? 5.5 days?

i think there would be an uproar in the uk if bbc1 was to show a ship sailing round the uk for 5 days!!

but i aggree it mite be more interesting that the rubbish that is on!

• 7 months later...

I couldn't find my old thread but does anybody remember this from last year?. [*** Mod edit - fixed that for you ;) ***]

http://nrk.no/hurtigruten/

The link is a full recording of last year's Hurtigruten live broadcast.

Maybe it will be an idea for someone's holiday this year.

I admit that Norway is/can be expensive but with a little thought and planning(ie. stock up from the supermarkets etc) it can be done for a more reasonable price.

So, so beautiful.......