Deportation of Sakchai Makao (Mark II) - ** News Thread **

trout

Eine Kleine Nachtanalysis

The evidence submitted on 7 Jul will include the EDM as a small but important part of it. It also helps raise the profile NOW. If our law-makers (in Parliament) can collectively show as much disquiet as Judge Aitken did individually over the actions of the law enforcers (IND et al) in this case by supporting the EDM then it can only help Sakchai's cause. On that basis...

Early Day Motion support - update / suggested prioritisation for lobbying those yet to support it....

1. Latest signatories, to whom thanks are due, are:

Holmes, Paul

Burstow, Paul

Dobbin, Jim

Doran, Frank

George, Andrew

Hancock, Mike

Williams, Mark

Rennie, Willie

There are 644 MP's at Westminster. Less the Speaker and his Deputies = 640. 39 have signed so far = only 601 to go!

3. Strike rates as of today (this is NOT political, but for the record):

2 of 195 Conservatives

0 of 1 Independent

0 of 9 Democratic Unionists

12 of 353 Labour

22 of 63 Liberal Democrats

1 of 3 Plaid Cymru

0 of 1 Respect

2 of 6 SNP

0 of 5 Sinn Fein

0 of 3 SDP

0 of 1 Ulster Unionist

4. I've set up a spreadsheet to monitor progress which I'll update off the official EDM website and post daily.

5. Prioritisation of those still to support EDM 2373 (Some of whom may be disinclined, but many more probably just unaware of it, away or ill)

Of those still to support the bill, I would suggest (but feel free to differ!) that in order to get the numbers up most quickly we all pursue politely but firmly the following groups of MP's in the order of likely success: (A sweeping and overly-simplistic generalisation, but bear with me - you have to 'segment your market' somehow! - my 'logic' is that those more liberal and/or with greater understanding of the special nature of Shetland / Scottish communities will be more likely to militate towards Sakchai's cause)]

1. Scottish Lib-Dems MP's

2. Other Lib-Dem MP's

3. SNP MP's

4. All other MP's with Scottish Constituencies (except (7))

5. All other non-Labour MPs

6. Labour MP's with Constituencies outwith Scotland who are not members of the Government

7. Labour MP's who are members of the Goverment

Notes:

i) The more difficult the support to attract, the greater the PR success, of course! But first of all we need volume!

Realities: Cabinet ministers have collective responsibility, as do other members of the Government to a slightly lesser extent. So they are unlikely to come onboard when John Reid is already in the dwang. They also have a lot more on their plates, to be blunt.

Party whips tend to send out texts to their MP's telling them which EDM's to ignore. [Gilbert & Sullivan: "They always voted at their parties' call, and never thought of thinking for themselves at all!"]

ii) Any of us can ask any MP to support EDM 2373, but of course we have theoretical extra leverage (our mandate!) over our own MP.

iii) Those already supporting the motion represent constituencies all over the UK - so there are more than a few more politicians besides Alistair Carmichael willing to risk giving politicians a good name! So we are appealing to their personal sense of justice in writing to them.

iv) (almost) all their e-mails are via www.theyworkforyou.com/mps or the Guardian's politics pages.

Group 1 is a short list, thanks to AC!!:

Alan Beith, Berwick-upon-Tweed

Sir Menzies Campbell, Fife North-East

Charles Kennedy, Ross, Skye & Lochaber

Group 2:

John Hemming

Roger Williams

Sarah Teather

Stephen Williams

David Howarth

Jennifer Willott

Tom Brake

Martin Horwood

Bob Russell

Christopher Huhne

Julia Goldsworthy

Phil Willis

Andrew Stunell

Paul Keetch

Edward Davey

Greh Mulholland

Norman Baker

John Leech

Annette Brooke

Lembit Opik

Daniel Rogerson

Nick Harvey

Steve Webb

Evan Harris

Susan Kramer

Sandra Gidley

Nicholas Clegg

Lorely Burt

Colin Breed

John Pugh

Jeremy Browne

Richard Younger-Ross

Adrain Sanders

Matthew Taylor

Vincent Cable

Tim Farron

Mark Oaten

David Laws

Group 3:

Michael Weir, Angus

Alex Salmond, Banff & Buchan

Angus Robertson, Moray

Pete Wishart, Perth & Perthshire North

Group 4:

David Mundell, Dumfrieshire, Clydesdale & Tweedale

Anne Begg, Aberdeen South

Sandra Osborne, Ayr Carrick & Cumnock

Brian Donohoe, Ayrshire Central

Katy Clark, Ayrshire North & Arran

Tom Clarke, Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill

Rosemary McKenna, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth & Kirkintilloch East

Russell Brown, Dumfries & Galloway

James McGovern, Dundee West

Anne Moffat, East Lothian

Gavin Strang, Edinburgh East

Mark Lazarowicz, Edinburgh North & Leith

Eric Joyce, Falkirk

Mohammed Sarwar, Glasgow Central

David Marshall, Glasgow East

Ann McKechin, Glasgow North

John Robertson, Glasgow North West

Tom Harris, Glasgow South

Ian Davidson, Glasgow South West

John MacDougall, Glenrothes

Jimmy Hood, Lanark & Hamilton East

David Hamilton, Midlothian

Gordon Banks, Ochil & Perthshire South

Jim Sheridan, Paisley & Renfrewshire North

John McFall, West Dunbartonshire

Group 5/6 - suggest I e-mail to Bryan as a downloadable Word file.

Group 7:

The usual suspects - see list at www.number10.gov.uk/ouput/page2988.asp

(Those with Scottish Constituencies are:

John Reid, Airdrie & Shotts

Adam Ingram, East Kilbride

Nigel Griffiths, Edinburgh South

Alistair Darling, Edinburgh South West

David Cairns, Inverclyde

Des Browne, Kilmarnock & Loudoun

Gordon Brown, Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeath

Frank Roy, Motherwell & Wishaw

Douglas Alexander, Paisley & Renfrewshire South

Jim Murphy, Renfrewshire East

Thomas McAvoy, Rutherglen & Hamilton West

Anne McGuire, Stirling

These can be printed out and used as tick-lists for lobbying activity.

I hope these are of help to some. I know the EDM is only part of the big picture, and the local community's support is more important by far, but if some of us can focus on some aspects in more detail then it will help. More guidance I know will emerge in early course, which I too await...

Best Wishes,

and GREAT to see that big smile and hear that voice back HOME!!!

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr Bear

Re your posting on Alistair's EDM 2373.

I am happy to lobby any and all MPs to achieve support for Alistair's EDM. As you are probably aware there is a "similar" EDM at the moment for the Case of Ernesto Leal EDM 2169. (At least it seems similar to the lay person such as I.) Cross referencing the signatures for the two EDMs there are a number of differences. Support for each EDM would be increased if those that have signed one would sign the other. Is there a quick route to alerting the signatories of this?

In particular I like to think Diane Abbott will sign Alistair's EDM as Ernesto is one of her constituents and she purports to be fighting on his behalf. I shall of course suggest to Alistair that he reciprocate.

Xie xie

S

Statement by Diane Abbott on Ernesto Leal's release

Submitted by tony on Wed, 2006-06-07 10:25.

Diane Abbott, MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington, today welcomed the decision to grant Ernesto Leal bail. She said: "I am relieved at the decision to grant Ernesto bail. I know it means the world to his family and friends to have him back home. However, Ernesto's case is ongoing and the fight to keep him here is far from over."

Diane added: "I have already requested a meeting with the new Minister for Immigration, Liam Byrne, to get the opportunity to discuss Ernesto's case with him in detail. I want to make sure he understands fully the circumstances of this case. I also hope to get the opportunity to meet Ernesto personally to discuss how best to proceed. I will continue to do everything I can to ensure that this case is resolved as quickly as possible and that Ernesto gets to remain here in Britain with his family and friends." Diane said: "It seems to me that Ernesto was caught up in the Home Office's frantic round-up of foreign criminals, and that he was made an example of. However, I want to make sure that his case is carefully considered on its own merits and that no generalised or rash decisions are made."

I help to edit our monthly community newsletter in Kemnay, near Inverurie, and I am planning on putting an article re: Sakchai on the front page of the July issue, with the web addresses for the petition and Shetlink forum. Here is what I've put together. I'd really like feedback to be sure it has the right angle and impact. The newsletter reaches around 2000 households in and around Kemnay/Inverurie. Hopefully we'll get a few more e-petitions.

Many of you will have heard of the Shetlander from Thailand who was seized in an early morning raid on his home in Lerwick on 6 June, part of the government’s effort to crack down on foreign criminals who have been released from prison but not deported. He was to have been deported within five days, and probably would have been, except for one thing. He lives in a close community that has rallied around and has worked hard as a team to stop that action. They alerted his MP, who has exerted a great deal of time and energy on Sakchai’s behalf.

There was a time, during a very low period in his life, when he got into serious trouble with the law. He served his time in prison and was reinstated into the community and into his old job as a lifeguard at the community swimming pool in Lerwick.

He has proved himself worthy of the trust the community placed on him, becoming known as a well liked and well respected athlete who has represented the Shetland Islands in several competitions, including the Inter-Island games last year that saw people coming to the Shetlands from all over the world, as well as playing on one of the local football teams. He has repaid their confidence in him many times over, becoming an important part of the community.

The efforts of the campaign to bring Sakchai Makau back to Shetland have been successful to date in that he has been granted bail to return to Shetland. The next and much greater step is to have the deportation order rescinded. That hearing is just a month after he was first seized—7 July. The home office has promised that they will look at various circumstances—length of residence, community support, and the seriousness of the crime are among the things they will consider as they make their decision.

I happen to know him because we were next door neighbours for a number of years, and our children got to know Sakchai and his sister well. I came to know him as a cheerful, trustworthy, energetic, caring boy. Our families grew up together. Often I would come home from work, the house was quiet—the children were all over at Sakchai’s. Or everyone would descend on us and the rooms suddenly became very cramped. When I saw what had happened on 6 June I was saddened and outraged. My wife read his account with tears streaming down her cheeks. When I told my daughter about his seizure she was “guttedâ€. My son’s response was “What can I do to help?â€. Those are typical of the responses that can be seen in the Shetlink Forum discussion about Sakchai. A link to this discussion forum can be found at http://www.shetlink.com//index.php. There is also a link to the online petition to keep Sakchai in Shetland which you can sign if you wish.

There are some who don’t know him or Shetland who say that the law is the law and he should be deported. He committed a crime, but he is not a criminal and the Shetland community has come together behind him in a tremendous way.

Our whole family has been supporting this effort from our various locations in our various ways, but what is truly amazing is how an entire community has come together to support someone who has earned his position among them.

I can't make it any longer--I have @1/2-2/3 of an A5 page to get this all into. Thanks for any input you can give.

Brilliant work polarbear.

Your contribution to the campaign is so much appreciated.

Will try to contact as many MPs as possible by e-mail.

Will also keep up the regular e-mails to the usual Government Ministers and MSPs.

John Reid (and his constituant workers) must be becoming very familiar with Sakchai's name by now!

Great to see the continuing publicity on GMTV this morning.

The 50p Race To Sakchai will begin on the Athletics Track at 2pm on Saturday 1st July.

The aim is to get together enough 50p pieces to lay end to end as fast as possible down the 100m straight to where Sakchai will be waiting.

To give us a head start, collections will be gathered this weekend in Whalsay, Sandwick and Lerwick. All the money collected will be changed into 50p pieces and used to start the race.

We are inviting everyone, young and old, to come to the Athletics Track between 2pm and 4pm on the day of the race and lay down a 50p (or 2!) to help us reach Sakchai.

All the money raised will go directly into the fund , so start gathering those 50 pences and we'll see you on the 1st!

I am happy to lobby any and all MPs to achieve support for Alistair's EDM. As you are probably aware there is a "similar" EDM at the moment for the Case of Ernesto Leal EDM 2169. (At least it seems similar to the lay person such as I.) Cross referencing the signatures for the two EDMs there are a number of differences. Support for each EDM would be increased if those that have signed one would sign the other. Is there a quick route to alerting the signatories of this?

In particular I like to think Diane Abbott will sign Alistair's EDM as Ernesto is one of her constituents and she purports to be fighting on his behalf. I shall of course suggest to Alistair that he reciprocate.

Thanks.

I'm aware of the other case due to a few postings on this site, including the campaign URL. The extent to which the campaigns co-operate is naturally a matter for those running them, as there are risks as well as opportunities in doing so. The cases are not identical (e.g. the initial offence was different in gravity) but the cases do have several common issues. Given the very short timescales, understandably many on this Forum may wish to concentrate on Sakchai's case for now* I became involved because I was outraged - and indeed upset to the point of insomnia - by the manifest injustice of his particular case, perhaps especially as a Highlander. I am not a professional lobbyist. Like others, I just do my best...with limited skill and still more limited time (Luckily, I'm not a massive footie fan [sorry, Sakchai, its true!] as I am the world's slowest typist (QED))

I do know that several on the Forum have expressed sympathy for the Leal case, and that more have spoken of how "our" case has alerted them to what is sometimes being done in their name around the country.

No doubt many will become more involved over time in other cases.

BTW, I have tried to interest Andrew Neill in Sakchai's case for his late-night politics show (so far to no avail ) and Diane of course is one half of his standing pair of side-kicks, along with Michael Portillo) so there may be some mileage in Alistair talking to her.

*( tho' I also cross-referenced the EDM's to find fresh names to target!)

Best wishes,

Exit stage left pursued by a ...

Very good article Black Eagle. I think you've got the tone right.

This might seem a bit pedantic, but the 4th paragraph speaks about the campaign being successful to date in that he has been granted bail.

If anyone was reading half interested they might switch of at this point thinking that it's all sorted now. I'd perhaps drop the word successful and say something like 'the campaign to date has helped secure his release on bail, but..........' , that might portray better that the fight is still very much to be won.

But that small opinion aside, I think it's a great article, well written, fair and informative.

Shetland For Sakchai Online Donation

We have set up a 'Paypal' Shetland For Sakchai Online Donation function. You can use your 'Paypal' account or most credit/debit cards to securely transfer funds into a campaign bank account. Davie Gardner has described how these funds will be used in more detail elsewhere in this thread

A totally legally and fully constituted campaign fund has been set up via the Bank of Scotland....and is currently being managed by the Shetland Recreational Trust.

How the money can or cannot be used is set out in this document signed by 6 responsible members of the community.

The funds will be used for legal fees and expenses, over and above that already offered by SRT and no other.

If for any reason they are not needed then an equally worthy cause will be identified, agreed and managed officially

The fund will be used to cover....

• Additional legal fees and expenses, outwith that already promised by SRT

• Any family expenses directly relating to this case

• Ongoing legal fees of any kind relating to the case either during or following its resolution, successful or otherwise

• Any crucial campaign fees not offered by ‘in kind’ or voluntary contribution. These will all be accounted for by receipt etc.

Please click this link to access the donation page

Shetland For Sakchai Online Donation

Sorting posters this afternoon

Brilliant Davie! :D Would it be possible to email me a copy poster and I can get it printed off at my work before close of play on Friday?

Will do all being well. Will also get it on this site for download. It looks pretty good I think.

Thanks once again to Brian, Stuart and Jonathan at the Shetland Times

Eine Kleine Nachtanalysis

The evidence submitted on 7 Jul will include the EDM as a small but important part of it. It also helps raise the profile NOW. If our law-makers (in Parliament) can collectively show as much disquiet as Judge Aitken did individually over the actions of the law enforcers (IND et al) in this case by supporting the EDM then it can only help Sakchai's cause. On that basis...

Early Day Motion support - update / suggested prioritisation for lobbying those yet to support it....

1. Latest signatories, to whom thanks are due, are:

Holmes, Paul

Burstow, Paul

Dobbin, Jim

Doran, Frank

George, Andrew

Hancock, Mike

Williams, Mark

Rennie, Willie

There are 644 MP's at Westminster. Less the Speaker and his Deputies = 640. 39 have signed so far = only 601 to go!

3. Strike rates as of today (this is NOT political, but for the record):

2 of 195 Conservatives

0 of 1 Independent

0 of 9 Democratic Unionists

12 of 353 Labour

22 of 63 Liberal Democrats

1 of 3 Plaid Cymru

0 of 1 Respect

2 of 6 SNP

0 of 5 Sinn Fein

0 of 3 SDP

0 of 1 Ulster Unionist

4. I've set up a spreadsheet to monitor progress which I'll update off the official EDM website and post daily.

5. Prioritisation of those still to support EDM 2373 (Some of whom may be disinclined, but many more probably just unaware of it, away or ill)

Of those still to support the bill, I would suggest (but feel free to differ!) that in order to get the numbers up most quickly we all pursue politely but firmly the following groups of MP's in the order of likely success: (A sweeping and overly-simplistic generalisation, but bear with me - you have to 'segment your market' somehow! - my 'logic' is that those more liberal and/or with greater understanding of the special nature of Shetland / Scottish communities will be more likely to militate towards Sakchai's cause)]

1. Scottish Lib-Dems MP's

2. Other Lib-Dem MP's

3. SNP MP's

4. All other MP's with Scottish Constituencies (except (7))

5. All other non-Labour MPs

6. Labour MP's with Constituencies outwith Scotland who are not members of the Government

7. Labour MP's who are members of the Goverment

Notes:

i) The more difficult the support to attract, the greater the PR success, of course! But first of all we need volume!

Realities: Cabinet ministers have collective responsibility, as do other members of the Government to a slightly lesser extent. So they are unlikely to come onboard when John Reid is already in the dwang. They also have a lot more on their plates, to be blunt.

Party whips tend to send out texts to their MP's telling them which EDM's to ignore. [Gilbert & Sullivan: "They always voted at their parties' call, and never thought of thinking for themselves at all!"]

ii) Any of us can ask any MP to support EDM 2373, but of course we have theoretical extra leverage (our mandate!) over our own MP.

iii) Those already supporting the motion represent constituencies all over the UK - so there are more than a few more politicians besides Alistair Carmichael willing to risk giving politicians a good name! So we are appealing to their personal sense of justice in writing to them.

iv) (almost) all their e-mails are via www.theyworkforyou.com/mps or the Guardian's politics pages.

Group 1 is a short list, thanks to AC!!:

Alan Beith, Berwick-upon-Tweed

Sir Menzies Campbell, Fife North-East

Charles Kennedy, Ross, Skye & Lochaber

Group 2:

John Hemming

Roger Williams

Sarah Teather

Stephen Williams

David Howarth

Jennifer Willott

Tom Brake

Martin Horwood

Bob Russell

Christopher Huhne

Julia Goldsworthy

Phil Willis

Andrew Stunell

Paul Keetch

Edward Davey

Greh Mulholland

Norman Baker

John Leech

Annette Brooke

Lembit Opik

Daniel Rogerson

Nick Harvey

Steve Webb

Evan Harris

Susan Kramer

Sandra Gidley

Nicholas Clegg

Lorely Burt

Colin Breed

John Pugh

Jeremy Browne

Richard Younger-Ross

Adrain Sanders

Matthew Taylor

Vincent Cable

Tim Farron

Mark Oaten

David Laws

Group 3:

Michael Weir, Angus

Alex Salmond, Banff & Buchan

Angus Robertson, Moray

Pete Wishart, Perth & Perthshire North

Group 4:

David Mundell, Dumfrieshire, Clydesdale & Tweedale

Anne Begg, Aberdeen South

Sandra Osborne, Ayr Carrick & Cumnock

Brian Donohoe, Ayrshire Central

Katy Clark, Ayrshire North & Arran

Tom Clarke, Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill

Rosemary McKenna, Cumbernauld, Kilsyth & Kirkintilloch East

Russell Brown, Dumfries & Galloway

James McGovern, Dundee West

Adam Ingram, East Kilbride

Gavin Strang, Edinburgh East

Mark Lazarowicz, Edinburgh North & Leith

Eric Joyce, Falkirk

Mohammed Sarwar, Glasgow Central

David Marshall, Glasgow East

Ann McKechin, Glasgow North

John Robertson, Glasgow North West

Tom Harris, Glasgow South

Ian Davidson, Glasgow South West

John MacDougall, Glenrothes

Jimmy Hood, Lanark & Hamilton East

David Hamilton, Midlothian

Gordon Banks, Ochil & Perthshire South

Jim Sheridan, Paisley & Renfrewshire North

Jim Murphy, Renfrewshire East

John McFall, West Dunbartonshire

Group 5/6 - suggest I e-mail to Bryan as a downloadable Word file.

Group 7:

The usual suspects - see list at www.number10.gov.uk/ouput/page2988.asp

(Those with Scottish Constituencies are:

John Reid, Airdrie & Shotts

Nigel Griffiths, Edinburgh South

Alistair Darling, Edinburgh South West

David Cairns, Inverclyde

Des Browne, Kilmarnock & Loudoun

Gordon Brown, Kirkcaldy & Cowdenebeath

Douglas Alexander, Paisley & Renfrewshire South

Anne McGuire, Stirling)

These can be printed out and used as tick-lists for lobbying activity.

I hope these are of help to some. I know the EDM is only part of the big picture, and the local community's support is more important by far, but if some of us can focus on some aspects in more detail then it will help. More guidance I know will emerge in early course, which I too await...

Best Wishes,

and GREAT to see that big smile and hear that voice back HOME!!!

This is amazing work again PB so can we once again offer a million thanks for all your committed efforts on this.

We at SfS would srongly recommend that all working for this capmaign give this a high level of priroity and see if we can move some big wheels. If you can also find the time to do the USUAL e-mailing etc too that would of course be great too, but this seems like a great new way forward.

Thanks again for this and lets all get on the case.

I help to edit our monthly community newsletter in Kemnay, near Inverurie, and I am planning on putting an article re: Sakchai on the front page of the July issue, with the web addresses for the petition and Shetlink forum. Here is what I've put together. I'd really like feedback to be sure it has the right angle and impact. The newsletter reaches around 2000 households in and around Kemnay/Inverurie. Hopefully we'll get a few more e-petitions.

Thanks also to BlackEagle for this. Much appreciated and go for it!!!