Deportation of Sakchai Makao (Mark II) - ** News Thread **

trout

Just written a letter to Alexandra Bartrope, Sakchai's lawyer. Perhaps not the best written letter, but putting across the sentiments of all Shetlanders (and beyond). Probably not the best written letter but says what I was feeling at the time.

This is brilliant to be honest and just the kind of thing to make people sit up and take notice. Sakchai's lawyer assures us that every one wil count.

Cheers and thanks again

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letter to Alexandra Bartrope on it's way south. Copy can be provided for the team if needed. Will spend the next hour or so sending e-mails to those still to sign the EDM. Still waiting for Mr Reid to reply to my e-mails, even though I pointed out that failure to send at least an acknowledgment was at best discourteous and at worst down right rude....

It does take time to get down to all this e-mailing, but it so important that we keep up the pressure. Best wishes to Sakchai and the team

Cheers to you Cali and as always unbelievable work and support Polar Bear - will speak again soon

Just to confirm that the "Good Luck Rally" for Sakchai will be held IN the Clickimin Centre on TUESDAY 4TH JULY AT 7.30PM.

This is an informal event just to show our and your support for Sakchai before he leaves Shetland the next day for his Immigration Tribunal. He will need all the support he can get so if you can spare an hour of your time then it will be much appreciated.

He will of course be there too of course

Posters are going out tomorrow and if you guys could also pass the word around that will be brilliant and much appreciated.

FINALLY CAN YOU ALL DO WHAT YOU CAN TO INCREASE THE MP SIGNATURE COUNT ON ALISTAIR CARMICHAELS EDM AS SO BRILLIANTLY SET OUT ON POLAR BEARS POSTS

The team see this, along with letters to the lawyer (address on pages 28 and 29) as being top priority at the moment.

Also remeber there is a fund raising gig in Brae tomorrow night so it would be great if any of you can get along to that too.

Thanks again to everyone for all your ongoing help and as BITM says lets see if we can make the 4th of July a special day in Shetland too and make people power count too.

Cheers

Davie and the Shetland for Sakchai Team

Just written a letter to Alexandra Bartrope, Sakchai's lawyer. Perhaps not the best written letter, but putting across the sentiments of all Shetlanders (and beyond). Probably not the best written letter but says what I was feeling at the time.

This is brilliant to be honest and just the kind of thing to make people sit up and take notice. Sakchai's lawyer assures us that every one wil count.

Cheers and thanks again

Be cairfull when using the quotes ALL Shetlanders - only 1 out of 3 is the figures - that means 2 out of 3 have not come forward, not that i want to put a damper on it, but its the kind of thing the press will pick up on if they see a weekness.

it is good to see a community standing up for something, not seen in Shetland for years. It is true everyone has an opinion which is rare that one subject does touch a community so much

Just had e mail from David Laws saying he had signed EDM. :lol:

Still struggling on through the list. Group 3 done, group 2 done, half way through group 3. Problem with Alex Salmond - e-mail came back with address as undeliverable. Can anyone help on this one?

In order to assist with the overall co-ordination of the "Shetland for Sakchai" campaign's fund raising, can you please e-mail the fund raising co-ordinator with the details of any fund raising events that you have planned, or are hoping to plan.

Please forward details such as venue, date, time and the nature of the event to: -

carolinebulter@btinternet.com

Please also e-mail Caroline if you have any ideas or suggestions for raising funds.

We will then post details of the events in this thread.

How much money has been colected so far? How much do we need?

remind me what we are actualy collecting for, is in what does satch need?

Still struggling on through the list. Group 3 done, group 2 done, half way through group 3. Problem with Alex Salmond - e-mail came back with address as undeliverable. Can anyone help on this one?

when does this petitions have to be handed in? who are we seding it to- i persume it has to go with stach when he is up on the 7th?

no point doing all this if we are not acutaly going to give the names to someone

i think we need to state a closing date then people who still want to sign then know they have to do it now! and not leave it untill its too late?

Excellent news re Mr Laws. Every vote counts!

So I don't get 'out of synch', I'll update my 'EDM report' daily when the official Commons database has formally recorded the new votes (The road to Hell being paved with good intentions, and all that...!)

Meantime I'll knock him off the posted list on the Forum so that he doesn't get hassled needlessly by our cohorts of intrepid campaigners.

NB our ever-more-flexible friends at Shetlink have agreed the groups can stay where they are to maximise their visibility, with a link to them from the Campaign front page. I have edit privileges so will update them daily.

when does this petitions have to be handed in? who are we seding it to- i persume it has to go with stach when he is up on the 7th?

no point doing all this if we are not acutaly going to give the names to someone

i think we need to state a closing date then people who still want to sign then know they have to do it now! and not leave it untill its too late?

davie do you know that answers?

Not Davie but...the EDM is a separate issue from the Petitions and the letters of support, Sam. (Davie has already posted deadlines for the latter, as I recall...) The business of the House will trundle on regardless of this case. EDM's do not close (because technically they are motions for debates for which a date has not yet been set) and so Sakchai's lawyer can refer to the latest number of MP's supporting this EDM on the actual day of the hearing. Clearly though, the sooner that MP's can be persuaded to register their support the better, in order that the numbers of them who have supported AC's motion to date can be submitted in tandem with the other documents referred to above.

So in short, for EDM there is a point in doing all this. Hope that helps...

I just got a .pdf document from Tobias Saltonstall on behalf of Jack McConnell.

It is similar to the the usual response:

"Recognise the strenght of feeling in Mr. Makao'1 local community and in scotland."

"Inappropriate for Scottish ministers to intervene in individual cases, particularly when there is an agreed process involving local MPs and UK ministers."

"will always raise general concerns [with home office] when appropriate"

The Email Address for Mr. Saltonstall is: Tobias.saltonsall@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

I'll send a copy up to DavieG

Pete

[/img]

Dear Gentlemen,

Thank you for your recent response to my letter. I look forward to hearing more about the First minister's opinion on this case.

I understand the need for Government officials not to comment on individual cases. It may present a conflict of interest.

I believe that this case is one of many though, that represent the unfair treatment of some foriegn nationals in our country. Sakchai is lucky in some aspects; that many people know, respect and trust him. How many people are not in Sakchai's position of having so much support, and still don't deserve to be treated in the same manner he was?

Most of the people I have spoken to in the last few weeks believe that, this case in particular, but also in other cases, there is an overreaction to foriegn nationals in the uk as a result of recent mistakes by the government. I would not like to say this blindly, I am well aware of the need to remove dangerous people from society.

However, when people who are not dangerous, and are not considered dangerous by a significant part of their community, are being removed, this indicates that there may be serious problems with the current methods of identifying and detaining "dangerous" people.

There is also the unacceptable way that Sakchai was treated. He was taken from his home in a blitzkreig style operation, and bustled to a maximum security prison, many beleive in a manner that infringes on his human rights. If his case had been properly investigated by whoever ordered his arrest then it would have been apparent that he is an honest and responsible man who would not try to run.

How many other cases are there where the government is getting it wrong? there is a developing lack of trust in the current government because of cases like this. Although there can be no comment on an individual case, surely there must be a realisation that the system is not working properly.

Best regards,

Peter

I sent this in reply