Chippings on the road between Voe and Brae

I wish people would understand that when they exceed the 20 mph speed limit, the chances of their car throwing up a stone chip and cracking some one elses windscreen increases, twice today a stone has hit my windscreen and both times it was by someone going faster than they should of been!! Please think on, the limits there for a reason, please think of others!!

I assume the road has been surface dressed. The speed advice is to prevent stones flying but also to allow the surface to be compacted further with the weight of traffic. An emergency stop at high speeds on a newly dressed road just rips the dressing. There will probably be no road markings as well.

The downside with surface dressing is the loose chips end up in the gulleys.

You wait till they start to slurry seal, if they have not already.

I wish people would understand that when they exceed the 20 mph speed limit, the chances of their car throwing up a stone chip and cracking some one elses windscreen increases, twice today a stone has hit my windscreen and both times it was by someone going faster than they should of been!! Please think on, the limits there for a reason, please think of others!!

just a refection on society

This is one of the least effective road repair / resurface methods and is just outright lazy and dangerous for all road users.

other road users driving quicker than the nonsense 20mph is unhelpful but not the pure evil at noted above.

most modern cars don't have mud flaps ( as standard ) and most owners are to tight to put them on also ( due to mad dealer / stealer prices )

this taken into account then a car/van doing 20mph will still throw up chips that can damage other and their own cars.

the best thing to do it try to keep to the well traveled line ( drivers weaving all over the road do more harm ) and there is lots of you about.

second use the indicator well in advance, this warns the driver behind you will be kicking up more chips as you cross the road and they can stay well back.

and my final tip don't drive up the rear of the person in front, you are much more likely to get a broken screen and or damaged paint work.

if you do get damage complain like mad to the council and roads departments and demand compensation as this is poor surfacing policy and

does little to improve our roads.

we pay some of the highest road tax levels in the world and deserve better.

rant over.

:evil:

Surface dressing is perfect for Shetland. There are many single track roads that lead to populated areas. This type of repair takes a far shorter time then a road closure, scarifying and the expense of calling out airborne rescue for any emergency. It is not just about the car driver getting a few chips on their colour coded body parts. A sensible driver will keep well back.

The speed limit is advisory normally, unless it is backed by the Highways/Roads guys and galls. The fact that motorists will do such speed in such conditions could come under driving with undue care and attention. If a car does do this, and your car suffers damage, them you can claim from their insurance. Take the Reg number or follow the vehicle to exchange details.

The only alternative is Slurry Seal for the time scale. Apart from that, shut the road for a few days/weeks and resurface.

You do not pay enough tax to resurface the road. Perhaps get a very small car? Tax will be freee then.

What do you propose as an alternative then Leevoe?[/quote

To be fair pete has a mute point, single track roads pose problems ( granted )

but two lane A type there no excuse, Shetland is not that busy ! a set of lights and get the job done right is a fair ask.

Now what is a fair job ?

Well a road needs a skilled eye not some planner out of uni with letters after their name etc etc oh and yes roads cost lots of money keep the bean counters away please.

A few factors:

what are you building it on ?

in the case of single track ( would it be much more expensive to just add a bit more on ? )

what sort of environment year in year out ?

sort of use ?

once you have really got a good idea of all then its fair to assume you will plan out a nice road, bear in mind 1000 meters down the road you may have a whole new list of answers.

this is were councils, planners, engineers around the world mess up. They take for granted the ground !

in shetland I would seriously look at the ground water and drainage ( lots of roads here have sunk and have become dangerous! yet you play for the pleasure to drive on them.

so here goes a typical section from Voe south

deep dig ( this could be meters ) I am looking for a consistent ground, if I am not getting it I am going a bit deeper. now looking at heavy quarry scree this is quite cheap and quick to lay per mtr. once a sound layer is installed ( this could be 1 meter deep ) this will allow water to flow well below the road surface, filter drains are no use in peat so thats false logic learnt over time not in a classroom. now geo tec matting then a build up in sized stone ie 150 - 100 until you get to within the engineered layers. if the roads side are much lower I would consider recycled building rubble as an edging ( for the engineered layers only ) this can be covered in a layer of soil/peat to allow the edge fauna grow back.

this type of build would be done from eye and a basic engineered road layered drawing to follow for the final road, its not cheap but it Wont sink, it Wont break down from ground heave ( frozen water layers close to road engineered layers ). It will last the test of time.

top layers is a close run debate and this is where this started, the crap they are doing between Voe - Brae is not on.

a standard asphalt topping would be fine, even concrete is a great road surface ( a little noisy to drive on ) but that would keep the dozy drivers awake.

I have laid both with mixed results.

I would strongly think about a concrete version ( possibly look at insulation in known cold spots ) here as the traffic is light but in winter the road can remain under ice / snow for days this is were a concrete ( hybrid type mix ) road would last a long time ( cost more to lay ) but much less wear long term.

also to keep pete in his box as a concrete road can be laid quickly resulting in minimum closer and disruption.

those who are remotely interested look up ( White-topping ) another great idea that would work here.

there is loads more detail ( gained by working around the world and left school at 16 )

I love my craft but it too often dictated by clowns in suits who won,t understand a soft spot to a road gully.

if you managed to get through that lot well-done, now I am off to the pub.

Thanks

Leevoe

Why when there is a 20mph speed limit do some people think it doesn't apply to them. I was overtaken today in the 20 zone by a white crew minibus with a local builders firm who has their name on the side who went so fast it sprayed my car in stones. I hope the driver is proud of himself didn't get his regisration number as he was going too fast. I hope his boss is reading this and tells him to obey the rules of the road.

@ Leevoe.

I think I got the gist or is it jist of what your getting at but I feel the urge to mention that most of what you suggest is already done up here and has been for the last 20 - 30 years hence why on roads within that time you wont find the issues you talk about other than possibly where the engineers have experimented with new technologies at the time such as terram. You speak of concrete as well, from my understanding and i stand to be corrected but as far as i know concrete is very rarely used now a days in the uk due to as you say sound issues but also the maintence nightmare it has come with.

The area you speak of south of voe I know very well and know if the money had ever been there to do a full reconstruction it would of been but part of the engineers job is to balance the work that can be done for the money available at the time to improve what they can when it comes to maintenance and similarly with new builds.

Anyway this is digressing away from the reason surface dressing is done, it is not to try and take out slumps in the road or ride deformaties, the primary reason is to give the road surface a texture again to enhance the skid resistance value of the carriageway, ( yes i appreciate this is not the case for the first couple of weeks after it has been laid ) as over time with traffic the road surface becomes polished and looses its skid resitance, mainly in rain and cold conditions. The Secondry reason is to help seal any hair line cracks that may appear over time which is standard considering DBM is a felxible material by nature, this helps prevent severe maintenance issues during heavy frosts and icey conditions. ( this also occurs with concrete carriageways )

Yours truely, general dogs body since the age of 15

They have been getting rid of concrete roads for years. Due to the accidents in the wet, the cost to repair and th need for cheaper alternatives. Concrete roads do wear out. You can drive on a dressed road quite quickly after it has been done. Concrete will take longer to go off. The heat generated by setting concrete may be a problem. Slurry sealing and dressing means mant roads can be made safe in a short period of time. It suits the needs and costs.