Who killed our cat.

Tryop

oh i agree they need to be informed. it could well save a kids life.

there is also the issue of young kids riding into the street without looking. i guess they really need extra supervision and training. country roads could be more dangerous. the daughter has been forced into ditches with her shetland pony a number of times because of speeding agressive driving.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, my daughter saw the car that killed her cat as she was in the garden with our dog at the time. We know who it was with the silver car as he is always speeding through the road and it is only a matter of time before he has a very serious accident.

He works for a local car hire company and is always driving like a lunatic in their cars as well as his own.

So basically you do know who killed your cat. At the risk of sounding callous, you are drawing attention to the fact that you allege an employee of a local car hire company (100s of those up here eh?) drives around (allegedly) like a lunatic - Whilst having a degree of sympathy re your original posting, I now can't help but wonder if you had previously reported said (alleged) driving to the Police and/or telephoned his employer to express your concerns regarding his (alleged) bad driving before an accident occurred.

Perhaps the title of this thread is somewhat misleading?

And as for not seeing or hearing an animal being hit. I imagine this is possible in a large vehicle, such as a lorry, but in a car? I heard the tiny bird hit the front of my car and when my back near side wheel clipped a rabbit. If you're concentrating on driving and not just the destiny of your journey you will see and hear such things.

Rubbish. Every single car's suspension is different - there is a huge difference, for example, between the vision/suspension set-up in a mini compared to a small MPV (still a car). Oops, so you would know if you were looking in your rear-view mirror at precisely the same time a small bird/creature was in the road and would be 100% sure that you had not run over a coke can/drain cover/cardboard box in the road?

Yeah, of course you would.

Where I live I frequently see cars going above the speed limit and children playing in the street. The little ones sometimes ride their bikes straight into the road without looking - just a matter of time. I hope not!..

Do you not think that parents have a degree of responsibility to make sure their children are safe whilst out playing, a majority of these children on bikes DONT have lights or any knowledge of the highway code. I drive very slowly in places where i think children may be playing, but have had to slam on the brakes a couple of times because a child has shot out between parked cars without looking, and the other week whilst going round a roundabout a kid suddenly shot across the front of me without looking and without lights on a push bike. I would agree tho,that it is common courtesy to stop if you hit a cat and at least move the cat to the side of the road if its dead, and maybe try to find the owner if the cat is alive, however being a cat owner i also know how far cats travel and sometimes trying to find the owner is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I was in a car that hit a cat many years ago, it was alive and i carried him to a couple of nearby houses knocking the occupants up,as it was in the early hours of the morning,they were not amused at getting out of bed for a cat that wasnt theirs, sadly the cat died in my arms and all i could do was to lay him on the verge.

why does an innocent forum like this have to have a debate. does any1 know how to delete an account? ive looked everywhere on this site lol maybe its right in my face but i cant see it .

It's a forum Shetland_boys, loads of different people = loads of different opinions.

It's doesn't matter if you're posting to thank an anonymous person for handing your lost wallet intact into the police, or, if you're posting regarding your cat being run over, someone will say something that will spark debate.

If you don't want something debated then don't post on a forum, simples :wink:

Guest CyprusPluto

And as for not seeing or hearing an animal being hit. I imagine this is possible in a large vehicle, such as a lorry, but in a car? I heard the tiny bird hit the front of my car and when my back near side wheel clipped a rabbit. If you're concentrating on driving and not just the destiny of your journey you will see and hear such things.

Rubbish. Every single car's suspension is different - there is a huge difference, for example, between the vision/suspension set-up in a mini compared to a small MPV (still a car). Oops, so you would know if you were looking in your rear-view mirror at precisely the same time a small bird/creature was in the road and would be 100% sure that you had not run over a coke can/drain cover/cardboard box in the road?

I can only suggest you pay little attention to the road when you're driving

Guest CyprusPluto
Where I live I frequently see cars going above the speed limit and children playing in the street. The little ones sometimes ride their bikes straight into the road without looking - just a matter of time. I hope not!..

Do you not think that parents have a degree of responsibility to make sure their children are safe whilst out playing, a majority of these children on bikes DONT have lights or any knowledge of the highway code. I drive very slowly in places where i think children may be playing, but have had to slam on the brakes a couple of times because a child has shot out between parked cars without looking, and the other week whilst going round a roundabout a kid suddenly shot across the front of me without looking and without lights on a push bike. I would agree tho,that it is common courtesy to stop if you hit a cat and at least move the cat to the side of the road if its dead, and maybe try to find the owner if the cat is alive, however being a cat owner i also know how far cats travel and sometimes trying to find the owner is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I was in a car that hit a cat many years ago, it was alive and i carried him to a couple of nearby houses knocking the occupants up,as it was in the early hours of the morning,they were not amused at getting out of bed for a cat that wasnt theirs, sadly the cat died in my arms and all i could do was to lay him on the verge.

I agree with you about responsibilty of parents etc. But if the speed limit of a road is 30 and cars are doing 40, then any child hit (whoever has ultimate responsibilty) is less likely to be badly hurt or killed. We've all seen the advert about "Kill your speed"

You mention a child on his bike shooting out in front of you and you braked hard and avoided a serious situation. I can feel and agree with your 'anger' that you were put in a that situation in the first place. But the fact you were able to stop indicates you were driving within the speed limit and you say you drive more slowly in places where you believe children would be playing. You indicate that you concentrate on the drive and not just the destination. If you hadn't, what would have happened. It is those instances that drivers must individually address

You can suggest all you like but both my motorbike and car licences are clean with no points on them. Animals can dart out very quickly giving a driver little or no time to take appropriate action, even when driving at low speeds - but then you'd know that, wouldn't you? We don't know how busy the road was in question. Was it raining? Silly me, all cars have the same braking distance regardless of weather conditions, etc. Would it have been safe to stop if another vehicle was too close to the rear, for example? IF the driver was aware he had hit said cat then yes, stop when safe to do so. However, we don't know the full circumstances. Unlike you, however, I do not possess eyes in the back of my head and unfortunately, my third eye has yet to be developed sufficiently to see through blind spots in my vehicle! :twisted:

Guest CyprusPluto

You can suggest all you like but both my motorbike and car licences are clean with no points on them. Animals can dart out very quickly giving a driver little or no time to take appropriate action, even when driving at low speeds - but then you'd know that, wouldn't you? We don't know how busy the road was in question. Was it raining? Silly me, all cars have the same braking distance regardless of weather conditions, etc. Would it have been safe to stop if another vehicle was too close to the rear, for example? IF the driver was aware he had hit said cat then yes, stop when safe to do so. However, we don't know the full circumstances. Unlike you, however, I do not possess eyes in the back of my head and unfortunately, my third eye has yet to be developed sufficiently to see through blind spots in my vehicle! :twisted:

The venom of your response tells me all I need to know about your personality and how little you care about other people and their animals. And if you do feel the need to respond with a further pathetically childish and venomous attack, take a short while to read your initial response to my post and you will see that it is you that felt the need to be sarcastically critical of both my first post and my personal opinions and have totally ignored the heartbreak in the origin of this post.

And just to see you and raise your self-righteous quote of "I never had a speeding ticket". In over 20 years, neither have I and also never had a parking ticket either.

I'm sorry your bitter about me being a better driver than you, but there is nothing to be gained by getting angry with me. Your time would be far better spent undertaking a driving courses to improve the inadequacies your have identified in your driving to everyone on Shetlink.

^ Sometimes words on screen can appear harsher than they are intended to be. My very first post referred to my feelings to the original poster and how I too have lost animals in the past.

Perhaps there is the possibility that you mistook my post for another - I never mentioned speeding ticket. Likewise, I did not state that I thought you were a better driver than I. ALL of us, regardless of training, learn (IMHO) something new each day and I doubt that any of us can say that we are the world's best driver - I do believe we learn from each other and none of us knows everything. A motorcyclist will read and see hazards that a car driver doesn't see; likewise, a lorry driver will, no doubt, read the road in a different manner to say, a cyclist.

So I'm sorry if you feel I have deliberately set out armed with venom; I haven't. Of course I care about people and animals but I do try to see things from both sides of the argument/look at the entire discourse.

Hey, we all have bad days, don't we?

Guest CyprusPluto
^ Sometimes words on screen can appear harsher than they are intended to be. My very first post referred to my feelings to the original poster and how I too have lost animals in the past.

Perhaps there is the possibility that you mistook my post for another - I never mentioned speeding ticket. Likewise, I did not state that I thought you were a better driver than I. ALL of us, regardless of training, learn (IMHO) something new each day and I doubt that any of us can say that we are the world's best driver - I do believe we learn from each other and none of us knows everything. A motorcyclist will read and see hazards that a car driver doesn't see; likewise, a lorry driver will, no doubt, read the road in a different manner to say, a cyclist.

So I'm sorry if you feel I have deliberately set out armed with venom; I haven't. Of course I care about people and animals but I do try to see things from both sides of the argument/look at the entire discourse.

Hey, we all have bad days, don't we?

:thmbsup