Washing Machine Plumbing

Neon Lights

I recently bought a second hand washing machine. It has however not been working properly. It is approximately 15 months old and looks to be in great condition. I therefore think I may have plumbed it in incorrectly.

Should newer washing machines be plumbed into the cold water supply or the hot water supply? Can anyone offer assistance/guidance? I look forward to hearing from you.

Download the manufacturer's instruction manual off the internet. Other posters are giving good advice; most machines these days are cold fill only and if the waste filter is blocked, the pump won't work properly and the computer chip will tell it not to fill with water ... or summat like that!

Newer washing machines will normally have a single inlet coloured blue, this is connected to the cold water supply. If there is a red inlet as well, this is then connected to the hot water supply. Modern washing machines are far more efficient at heating the small amount of water they now use, they will only use cold water, hence a single inlet.

If you have used a self cutting tap to get the supply of water you may need to check that it had worked.