Best Broadband in Shetland?

eenoo

What is the best broadband in Shetland?

We currently have BT on option 2 but coming close to our monthly useage each month. I was thinking of upgrading but what is the best value for unlimited broadband in Lerwick?

We have sky but appently they cant provide us a better deal.

What is the best broadband in Shetland?

We currently have BT on option 2 but coming close to our monthly useage each month. I was thinking of upgrading but what is the best value for unlimited broadband in Lerwick?

We have sky but appently they cant provide us a better deal.

Sky can only do unlimited on their own network, which they don't have in Shetland.

The only outfit that can realisticly and affordbaly do unlimited on BT network is BT

The rule of thumb is : Cheap / Fast / Reliable - pick any two.

Yep, but it's still BT that handle any faults, so you end up feeling like you're banging your head against a brickwall, had a friend who's phoneline stopped working after the council did some work in her block of flats, she couldn't get anyone to agree to deal with the problem so ended up getting Talktalk to stick in a free fibre-optic line instead (unfortunately not an option in shetland, not that I'd advise anyone to use talktalk)

The Post Office are offering phone and unlimited broadband for £26.05/month at the moment, all in.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/home-phone-broadband/home-phone-broadband-extra/details

Would that be line rental included?

Yes.

But note Post Offce have a very clear Fair Use Policy that points out that 'unlimited' accounts will penalised if 100 GB a month is exceeded.

The Post Office are offering phone and unlimited broadband for £26.05/month at the moment, all in.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/home-phone-broadband/home-phone-broadband-extra/details

Would that be line rental included?

Yes.

But note Post Offce have a very clear Fair Use Policy that points out that 'unlimited' accounts will penalised if 100 GB a month is exceeded.

I've been looking for an alternative broadband supplier recently, and all the unlimited packages I've looked at have a similar fair-use policy with a 100Gb/month limit.

It seems to be pretty standard across the industry.

• 3 weeks later...

I note the topic here was "best" broadband. I would expect that would cover up/download speeds, availability, customer service etc. Value for money may well be an included factor but there is an old adage you get what you pay for !

The current prices on offer from many providers are totally unsustainable.

If we rely on BT we wil never get good broadband(relatively speaking) the best option is to support the Shetland Telecoms guys to get us a full fibre network, it may well cost more but it will be a LOT better than we can get from current setup with BT.

But what about HIE i hear you say, and their promise of 30MB by 2020. By then it will be the equivalent of using bean tins and string....

For the longer term it is not about doing current things faster so much as being able to do new things and offer new services and for that we need fibre !!!!!!!