BT Vision

Does anyone have BT Vision? I am considering cancelling my Sky package and changing to BT Vision. Just wondering what it's like.

Do you get many channels? I contacted BT and they said I'd only get 21 channels in our area (instead of 72) and I wouldn't be able to get Sky Sports.

Can anybody advise me?

Guest CyprusPluto

I have it and it's very good. I get all the normal freeview channels and I also pay for the Sports package, which is much cheaper than Sky and includes Sky Sports 1 and 2 and ESPN.

Access channels will depend upon the transmitter. Mine is Bressay, so I get all the Freeview channels. The link below should tell you what you can get.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/availability/

There is also TV on demand, but that is dependent upon your broadband speed. Minimum of 2Mb required.

You can also use you existing Sky dish for FreeSat, which is similar to Freeview. Again the sp orts channels will not be available.

On a similar note, Virgin do not cover Shetland

I recently looked into doing this but a quick browse through the BT options showed it to be much more expensive then Sky for the most similar package.

Do be very wary of BT Visions "hidden charges" (not really hidden, they just charge for things you don't expect) which soon add up.

Thanks for that.

We get our signal from Bressay too so hopefully I should be able to get all the Channels with BT Vision then. I tried the checker and it said I should be able to receive all the Freeview channels.

Currently on the TVs in the house we don't get some Freeview channels (such as VIVA) but maybe we just need a new/better aerial?

Guest CyprusPluto
Thanks for that.

We get our signal from Bressay too so hopefully I should be able to get all the Channels with BT Vision then. I tried the checker and it said I should be able to receive all the Freeview channels.

Currently on the TVs in the house we don't get some Freeview channels (such as VIVA) but maybe we just need a new/better aerial?

You should get VIVA from Bressay. It's not likely to be the aerial (unless it's a very weak old one). Perhaps your TVs need to to have their channels updated. It should do this automatically overnight, hence having to leave your TV on standby these days. Just go into each menu and re-install, it shouldn't take more than 2-3minutes per TV

Thanks for that.

As already said you can get the majority of freeview channels inc Viva via your old sky box for free when you cancel your subscription. Seems a waste paying for BT vision when you already have the equipment, which is more reliable than a broadband connection. Unless there is something you want to subscribe to?

Cancelled sky so now only got the free channels, but really miss having sky+ as Söd's law says that the only programmes I want to watch will be on at the same time.

One thing with the dish is continuity of signal, something that seems to be an issue with freeview if you're not in an ideal location (scalloway comes to mind). Plus, I really don't want to get involved with BT and their legendary Customer "support" :?

I guess I am lucky in not having a "need" for sports coverage. That seems to be the biggest factor for deciding which of the sky/BT/virgin packages have most value.

You can pay sky £10 a month for the recording feature to be enabled if you dont have an existing contract with sky.

You could buy a dedicated freesat box that has a recording feature, but then you are getting a slightly different set of channels from the above set up with an old sky box, ie freesat from sky.

You'd have to weigh up the list of channels and the cost of a recordable box as opposed to paying sky £10 a month to enable record on the old box.

You can of course get the on demand channels through your pc which you could connect to your tv, its not as slick granted but its free.

^ Didn't know about the + payment option, cheers. It's a small thing, but I do like the simplicity of Sky's menu, having seen the frustration a friend still has with BTvison.

Broadband on-demand isn't an option on a sub 1Mb connection - can't even watch youtube "live" :evil: Location is definitely a key element for modern living!

• 5 months later...

When British Telecom (BT) was privatised in 1984, it was barred from providing television broadcasts over its telecommunication network, which meant that it was not possible for BT to provide a cable television service. The ban was designed to protect the new smaller telecommunications companies and the small cable television networks in the United Kingdom as it was felt that BT had an unfair advantage because its pre-privatisation monopoly meant that its equipment was already installed in virtually every home and business in the country. In January 2001, the ban was lifted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOALV

• 2 months later...

I have just cancelled my subscription after 6 month.

The system continually reboots itself and can be a real pain especially when trying to record.

I was issued a new box in January. Same issue occurred but less frequently.

I called again, and by now I had bypassed all foreign call centres and was using their resolution team and being given a four digit code to get hrough each time.

Next advice was to put the ethernet cable into Port 4 as they were aware of software issues. No good.

I called again, and this time the admission was interesting. The system has inherant flaws and won't be updated until the next software pacth release, scheduled in April. I was offered the new Youview box, but this came without ESPN which is one of the reasons I had the system. I was told this was because BT were negotiating a sports deal and wanted ESPN off the new system so it could be bundled into a sports package to be released in the future. Lo and behold the news last week about he new deal.

I put it to them that they were not, and could not provide the service they promised as advertsied and that we had explored every other option. They agreed and so the contract was teminated on this basis at not future costs.

A returns box/bag should have bene sent by now, but it hasn't. The system was canceled for a week now and it still gives me channels and the option to record, but still reboots. The on demand features have all reverted to pay-as-you-go. I querried this as I wanted to make sure the D.D had been amended. As far as they are concerned I DO NOT receive TV from them and I am not paying anything for a TV provision. So, they can't even cancel their own system with botching it up.

Do not let them fob you off. I have a suspiscion that they have issues with provisions to more remote spots, but they won't admit that. Above all, get the resolutuion team number as soon as humanly possible and double check all calls are logged against your account.

Right, what do we think of sky....can't live on freeview any longer.