I have never been to Scotland nor Shetland Islands...

Guest Anonymous
dinna be fooled. Shetland can indeed rally roond noo and again, but dinna assume dat dat maks it a friendly place.

Jist as dey can "rally roond wan o their own", they can equally all turn on those dey dinna like.

lik most places, dere's da good and da bad.

But shetland is not a warm and nice place, unfortunately

Do really is a poisonous peerie sh*te. I hiv never hated a real human being in my life. bit do is getting damn near.

pilticks lik de dat poison folk against Shetland should be taen tae Sumburgh heid and balled ower.

I suppose du will come back wi da argument dat I dunna lik dee.

Weel top marks dere. Du is effin spot on.

If du wants tae live in a place, learn da simple rule;

"Dunna Sh*te In Your Ain Nest"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dinna be fooled. Shetland can indeed rally roond noo and again, but dinna assume dat dat maks it a friendly place.

Jist as dey can "rally roond wan o their own", they can equally all turn on those dey dinna like.

lik most places, dere's da good and da bad.

Do really is a poisonous peerie sharn. I hiv never hated a real human being in my life. bit do is getting damn near.

pilticks lik de dat poison folk against Shetland should be taen tae Sumburgh heid and balled ower.

I suppose du will come back wi da argument dat I dunna lik dee.

Weel top marks dere. Du is effin spot on.

If du wants tae live in a place, learn da simple rule;

"Dunna sharn In Your Ain Nest"

and yet dis pretty much sums up my point. if folk here dinna agree wi u, or u dinna agree wi dem, dey turn on u wi absolute venom, as in auld rasmie's post.

if u could read, u wid see dat i pointed oot dat dis is common in a number of places, however, it hits me harder when it's in my own home (ie my birthplace, shetland).

i couldn't care if u liked me or not, i dinna want tae be liked by vicious morons such as yersel.

as for "If du wants tae live in a place, learn da simple rule;

"Dunna sharn In Your Ain Nest"", and how exactly is this an example of friendly shetland???

also, "These idiots are not representative of Shetland. They are just trolls who are against everybody, especially Shetlanders.", first of all, why would i be against shetlanders, as i am wan mesel. also, with da pure vitriol spewed oot o Auld Rasmies head wi his post, Delmontebanana, you have unfortunately been presented wi an example o da bad side o shetland.

paranoid notions dat you are either wi dem or against dem. there is nae such idea of a difference of opinion tae folk lik dem. there's either their opinion, or da wrong opinion.

read intae dat as u will.

as i said originally "Jist as dey can "rally roond wan o their own", they can equally all turn on those dey dinna like.

lik most places, dere's da good and da bad."

I have hardly exactly bin proved wrang on dat count now, have I?

Guest Anonymous

Sorry Trout,

But I just can't stand Shetlanders who make statements such as:

"But shetland is not a warm and nice place, unfortunately."

If I felt like that I wouldn't stay here, but thankfully 99.9% of Shetlanders including myself, know that it is a warm and nice place.

but den i never said it wis a bad place. it's a case of being realistic. shetland is as good and as bad as onywhaar else. but da idea of shetland being dis warm friendly place creates a notion of some idyllic oasis in da north sea. it's not, it's just a place dat has its good and bad points.

Tho, considering da overwhelming amount o shetlanders dat leave on da first opportunity dat comes der way, some never coming back, da 99.9% claim is most likely wide of da mark

I think you're wrong on this one (as you regularly point out, everyone has an opinion, and this is mine). I've lived in many palces throughout the UK, and on balance, Shetland is an exceptionally "warm and nice place". My job often involves talking with "incomers" who have settled here. The most common reason for their move to Shetland is how warm, friendly and welcoming the Shetland people are.

As you state, their are good and bad people here, just like anywhere else. I think most people are well aware that this is common to any community. To constantly bring it up is quite pointless. No one is arguing against that.

Maybe there are reasons why people turn against others. Maybe "Shetlanders" don't like some people for valid reasons.

To anyone who doesn't like living in Shetland - click here :wink:

I think you're wrong on this one (as you regularly point out, everyone has an opinion, and this is mine). I've lived in many palces throughout the UK, and on balance, Shetland is an exceptionally "warm and nice place". My job often involves talking with "incomers" who have settled here. The most common reason for their move to Shetland is how warm, friendly and welcoming the Shetland people are.

As you state, their are good and bad people here, just like anywhere else. I think most people are well aware that this is common to any community. To constantly bring it up is quite pointless. No one is arguing against that.

Maybe there are reasons why people turn against others. Maybe "Shetlanders" don't like some people for valid reasons.

To anyone who doesn't like living in Shetland - click here :wink:

dat is indeed ur opinion, and dat's fine.

i dinna agree, but i widdna say u wir wrong. der is nae right or wrong in opinion, as naeboady can prove an opinion tae be true or false.

i would still recommend folk dat want to visit shetland tae come and look around, it is a beautiful place, but come wi realistic expectations.

shetland can be a warm and nice place, but dat is not inherently true o da place. it has it's moments, but its nae lik its aaways lik dat.

The most common reason for their move to Shetland is how warm, friendly and welcoming the Shetland people are.

I would have to agree. I can't think of anybody who I have spoken to (tourists/incomers/contractors) that don't say something along the lines of, "The people here are really friendly and helpful". Some have commented on how miserable some of the shop assistants look but all in all the general consensus is that we aren't a bad bunch of folk.

No, not everybody is smily smily happy and helpful but I reckon that the majority of the people in Shetland are relatively nice compared to other places. It could be down to the fact that in a lot of other places people just don't speak to each other for fear of what could happen to them.

but den dere are an awful lot of folk dat have moved tae shetland having never bin here afore and jist because dey assumed it wid meet der romanticised notions of whit island life wid be lik.

everywan is gonna hae differewnt experiences etc of ony place, depending on wha dey are, wha dey meet, whit circles dey move in and aa dat.

i simply put forward my personal experience which is, despite being fae here, i have been treated as an ootsider ever since returning having spent a few years awaa as a bairn.

by all means, ither folks experiences will be different, but unfortunately my experience has been less rosey dan ithers, and i'm no da only wan dat has had less dan friendly experiences on dese islands.

and actually, i have worked during da summer at da tourist office, being all pleasant and light tae da tourists telling dem whaar dey can go for things tae dae etc.

and an awful lot of dem come back tae complain aboot poor manners, lack of friendliness, unhelpfulness etc dat dey have met while oot and aboot.

but likewise, der are those dat'll thank us fir a wonderful and maist enjoyable holiday.

it depends entirely upon wha u come across

Guest Anonymous

Peeriesooky,

Firstly, sorry for flying aff da handle. Bit du got my bile up.

I ken da point du wis trying ta mak. Bit I wis du coulda been a bit mair diplomatic aboot it.

I lived sooth fur years an I ken whit du means aboot never fitting in again,, you kinda miss oot on da development o your ain generation.

Bit i've always pitten dat aside whin hit cam tae my singular love fur wir Isles.

I just widna lik ta hae onythin said dat could pit fok aff comin here.

Truce :wink:

peeriesooky wrote

and actually, i have worked during da summer at da tourist office, being all pleasant and light tae da tourists telling dem whaar dey can go for things tae dae etc.

and an awful lot of dem come back tae complain aboot poor manners, lack of friendliness, unhelpfulness etc dat dey have met while oot and aboot.

Other side to that is rude tourists.......by way of example the American lady that was stood in the gateway at Sletts, watched me approaching and showed no sign of moving out of my way so I could get through the gate. Must have been in a bad mood that day as I was quite prepared to walk into her. I am happy to say that one of her party pulled her ought the way.

More recently during the double mega cruise ship visit (that surely must not happen again) assorted tourists seemed happy to wander along South Commercial Street making no effort at all to get out of the way of the traffic.

So yes, there are genuine cases of people being nasty to tourists but sometimes that is just what the tourists deserve.