I have never been to Scotland nor Shetland Islands...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peeriesooky wrote

So yes, there are genuine cases of people being nasty to tourists but sometimes that is just what the tourists deserve.

no sure if dis counts but last week me n a work colleague were stopped by a u.s citizen and asked of our red overalls "WHAT DOES THE RED SIGNIFY"? (yes, he spoke yun loud). i proceeded to inform him of our allegiance to an unpronouncable norse god and our war of generations with those wearing blue overalls. i half expected it but yes, he believed me :lol:

It's the people that make a place what it is to live in, so of coure different people will have different views depending on who they know. It is impossable to make generalisations about any population.

Shetland is a small place so in Sakchai's case he was lucky because the right people made alot of noise and attracted attention to his plight which would have been harder in a big city for example.

• 2 weeks later...

If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.

I forget who actually stated this, but it leads on, I believe, to R. Mertons paper "The self-fulfilling prophecy" in 1948.

Where he went with this was to go as far as to say that false beliefs lead to their own fulfillment! He proposed self-fulfilling prophecies have the potential to produce "profound social problems, unfair labour practices, discriminatory policies", along with other factors etc. etc.

The majority of research, inlcuding follow up analysis done by Rosenthal et al through various papers at varying times bearing on Merton's prior investigations clearly supports the existence of self-fulfilling prophecies!

J. Copeland followed this in a 1994 paper that subtle interpersonal process have the potential for shaping social reality.

All of their research demonstrates that the prior beliefs and expectations we hold about a person and or people / situations can lead us to influence people / situations, such that they behave / situations conform in ways that confirm our initial expectations about them.

To cut it short ... people can create the stereotypical environment they believe they exist in purely through their own actions and belief of a stereotyped environment - transjecting that onto the very people who they believe are stereotypical who will conform back unto them their expected stereotypes - ad nauseum ...

.... and it goes round and round ...

You reap what you sow!

I agree with your points trout, but I think the point to be made is that shetland probably, isnt a fluffy place all of the time, apart from the sheep that make it fluffy, wasnt really expecting your reply - good as it is. Shetlland is a place is the same as anywhere, much like the people, most of the time.