Blueprint for Education Update - Closures Again - Aith

The Cheesemaker

its strange that us country folks complain about schools being shut roads not gritted or ferries cuts we are wingers. But its not winging if lerwick gets a cut. in fact what cuts are effecting lerwick lets see. not schools your getting a nice shiny new one. can't see your roads not being gritted.

maybe the merging of the lerwick council and zetland county council was a bad idea. Lerwick has a third of the population but gets way over that level of service.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its strange that us country folks complain about schools being shut roads not gritted or ferries cuts we are wingers. But its not winging if lerwick gets a cut. in fact what cuts are effecting lerwick lets see. not schools your getting a nice shiny new one. can't see your roads not being gritted.

maybe the merging of the lerwick council and zetland county council was a bad idea. Lerwick has a third of the population but gets way over that level of service.

I didn't see anyone accusing 'country folk' of whingeing but it doesn't surprise me you decide to invent that as a device to allow another weird pop at the town. Grow up. Town folk are putting up with their share of issues and are getting a bit sick of this spite. If you live in an urban area, services are more economic, end of. I object to you claiming to speak for 'us country folk'. You are not a spokesperson for anyone but yourself.

• 2 months later...

Well, it seems spending hours on a bus every day might not be good for childrens health, although there are

both negative & positive
impacts on health.

Out of curiosity, I added up the scores in the report and found

20 Negative

8 No effect

13 Positive

6 N/A

This is a rapid impact assessment – we would recommend the use of the full integrated impact assessment which would include economic, equality & diversity, health when it comes to making final decisions. There is the potential for both negative & positive health impacts and we have tried to suggest ways of mitigating some of these.

Really a health impact assessment should be conducted at an earlier stage of the process to help in drawing up the profiles.

There are clear health and equality impacts – some of these will be potentially positive & some of these will be potentially negative, but we should work in partnership with Parent Councils, Community Councils and others to ensure mitigation of negative health impacts as far as possible.

References

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/news-advice/documents/BlueprintforEducationRapidHealthImpactAssessmentSep12.pdf

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting proposal from some of the parents. It is good to see that they have taken the trouble to offer a counter proposal rather than just pleepsing about school closures. You can read it here

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/images/stories/1301/130123_parent_council_alternative_blueprint_for_jhs.pdf

The proposals that were originally put forward do not have much effect on my family. However on reading the document I was alarmed to find this glib statement:

Compare ASN spending with other local authorities. Set reasonable targets compared with these authorities. Consider ASN as part of the restructuring of schools as a whole – it is not a separate issue. Savings of £1.5 million would still leave Shetland as a very high spender in this area.

I do not know what experience of ASN education the authors of the report have. One of my children has been in ASN education education all their life. In the years they have been there I have been delighted with their progress

ASN has already been asked to find savings of £500,000 and they are worroied that will cause the quality of provision here will suffer. Any more cuts will just mean ASN becomes a baby sitting service with no advancement for the bairns.

The authors have been a bit selective in there selection of costs, citing Orkney as costing £551 per pupil, as against Shetland costing £1,952. However the Western Isles spend £1,331 per ASN pupil.

From

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/05/11134917/12

Western Isles like Shetland educate all ASN pupils within the isles, unlike Orkney who send 13% of ASN pupils south for education. Are we to send our ASN pupils to live away from home so Aith secondary pupils do not have to commute to the AHS?

See page 92, Appendix 2

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/89188/0021334.pdf