Shetland Telecom....

SwanNeck

There isn't really a simple answer to that I'm afraid.

What Shetland Telecom is doing is basically putting in network, not services as such...(so far anyway).

What we would like to see is the private sector or communities jumping onboard and taking the fibre to the home. It is happening in other places. http://b4rn.org.uk/

At the moment Shetland Broadband use the bandwidth to supply services to local businesses/homes and the community broadband schemes in Vidlin and Fetlar. They tend to use wireless rather than fibre due to the cheaper capital cost.

We are also connecting up as many Council premises as possible.

That said, we will be looking in to FTTP and seeing if we can find a service provider. Personally, I wish that a local contractor would consider doing it.

The network we are deploying is a great chance for local entrepreneurs.

'Home' Is in toon... The ditch witch went straight past me hoose, a long long time ago...

In that case you are probably waiting for HIE / BDUK to get BT to do fibre to the local BT cabinet and then use the existing copper on the last mile.

The cost of providing FTTC is between £35,000 and £50,000 per cabinet.

To do what extactly? I hear a lot about how this superfast internet will be so great but why should it be better than the 6 m/s I get at the moment which is more that enough for my needs.

There is no plan to force folk to buy a faster connection. If your current connection is fine for your needs then you will not be in the market for any local entrepreneur.

To do what extactly? I hear a lot about how this superfast internet will be so great but why should it be better than the 6 m/s I get at the moment which is more that enough for my needs.

There is no plan to force folk to buy a faster connection. If your current connection is fine for your needs then you will not be in the market for any local entrepreneur.

Yes - my point exactly, suppose if most folk are in my position then there would be no need of this cable and the SIC could have saved their (our) money.

This is all about "empire building" trying to be one up on BT

This network will only be of benefit to a very few & at what cost .

Watch what happens as the roads & verges deteriorate & this cable starts to give problems.

This will happen ,how can a few strands of glass be supported in a pothole.

Another waste of money & I would like to know how much this is costing the council .

Iknow there is outside funding but this would have been better spent keeping rural schools open !