Shetland Telecom....

SwanNeck

:shock:

Just thought anyone (ST or SB) might have had an inkling, but was keeping it under their hats was all...

IF they did, if parties agree something is not for public release then they'd have to respect that. I sure as hell wouldn't release something on here one of my clients had asked to be kept confidential, would you?

This might help... shows what you have got now vs what you might get with ADSL2+

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#319

hairyian did you know anything about the content of the announcements?

Also do you have any idea of the confirmation date of the exchanges to be upgraded?

BT, when they work, do so in mysterious ways.

I was not party to any of their announcemnets. But being in the trade, none it it was any surprise to me.

Apart from the ADSL2 in Lerwick which BT are upgrading entirely out their funds, anywhere else will be part of the HIE awarded contract.

So, you need to put pressure on HIE to find excactly whatt they have contracted BT to do. However, reading between the lines, I don't there there is a contract in place yet?

What has ADSL2 have to do with Shetland Telecom?Do you not think Dick from BT threw a scrap their way just to save face for Marv!

ADSL2+ is an exchange based technology deliving broadband over copper telephone wires.

With any broadband service it NEEDS backhaul to connect to the rest of the world.

I think what you will find is that BT wanted two circuits to increase reliability.

So, rather that lay a second cable themselves, at some expense, they have found it cheaper to rent space on existing infrastructure and it just happens the only other cable suitable is the Shetland Telecom cable.

:shock:

Just thought anyone (ST or SB) might have had an inkling, but was keeping it under their hats was all...

BT have announced ADSL2+for Lerwick many times over the last few years. :-) This time it looks like it is happening.

I'm not going to go in to details but the first we knew about this particular paragraph of the story was last Friday. We did not know any details though. I wasn't aware of the press release until the end of the meeting when Mike Grundon told me about it.

I have no idea how they get to £8m when no actual fibre is being deployed but that's for them to know and for me not to bother asking.

^^ I too was surprised at the £8M cost quoted. But looking at their press release, it is for a lot more than just Shetland.

Quote from BT press release “The new link will deliver ………….. service to Kirkwall and Lerwick, …..(and)….. along the route at Dingwall, Tain and Thurso ….(and also)….. Alness and Invergordon.â€

That makes the cost look a bit better, and if this is a sign of improved joined up thinking by BT then great. But I also believe that Shetland Telecom driving ahead with fibre was a factor that helped persuade BT that they had to get their act together, otherwise we may have had much longer to wait for the improvement they have now announced.

So lets now give credit to BT, if they achieve what they propose and remove the variability and unreliability of the microwave link, that will be a significant benefit for everyone in Shetland, even to those that don’t actually get any better speed.

• 11 years later...

Just back here after a circa 11 year hiatus. Somewhat eye opening reading some of the things posted on this thread. Thank heavens a few people had a bit of vision, but it could have been so much more. Just to note nearing xmas 2023 I still don't have access to even ADSL2 from our exchange !