Why is my PING speed so high?

CHUCK NORR1S

Hi Shetlinkers

Over the last 4/5 weeks my ping speed has rocketed.

For the past year i've had no issues and it normally sits around 64? At the moment it ranges anywhere between 90 - 200+. I do a lot of online gaming on PS3 in the evenings but it's impossible now.

I'm with PlusNet and they've done all the regular checks and the line seems to be working fine, I can watch youtube, iplayer etc but the gaming is a no go. Plusnet say the ping can be afffected by the weather(high pressure?) but as I said it's been fine for the last 12 months and this problem has been constant for the 4/5 weeks.

The only thing I have noticed is that it's fine through the day but as soon as 8pm comes then it all goes tits up.

I've replaced all filters and also replaced the ethernet cable going from the router to the PS3, the router is also fairly new.

Is there any kind of solution? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Shetlinkers

For the past year i've had no issues and it normally sits around 64? At the moment it ranges anywhere between 90 - 200+. I do a lot of online gaming on PS3 in the evenings but it's impossible now.

I'm with PlusNet and they've done all the regular checks and the line seems to be working fine, I can watch youtube, iplayer etc but the gaming is a no go. Plusnet say the ping can be afffected by the weather(high pressure?) but as I said it's been fine for the last 12 months and this problem has been constant for the 4/5 weeks.

The only thing I have noticed is that it's fine through the day but as soon as 8pm comes then it all goes tits up.

I've replaced all filters and also replaced the ethernet cable going from the router to the PS3, the router is also fairly new.

Ping time is also dependent on distance. So, for some locations 90 ms would be faster than light and others it is unbeleivably slow. You need to say where you are testing to !

But, it sounds like normal network congestion?

If you do a trace is there a point where it makes a sudden jump ?

Hi Shetlinkers

Ping time is also dependent on distance. So, for some locations 90 ms would be faster than light and others it is unbeleivably slow. You need to say where you are testing to !

Thanks hairyian, when you say 'dependant on distance' do you mean from me to the exchange? if so then I'm about half a mile away, I live in central Lerwick. And again, sorry, but not sure what you mean by trace. I'm completely useless with the techincal side of things :cry:

You can game between 1 and 180 without any problems, I don't seem to get them.

Sorry peat but there is no way you can play a first person shooter with a ping from anywhere around 80 - 180 and not become frustrated, you are at minimum 1second behind the players you are trying to shoot. Not sure what games you are playing?

Hi Shetlinkers

Thanks hairyian, when you say 'dependant on distance' do you mean from me to the exchange? if so then I'm about half a mile away, I live in central Lerwick. And again, sorry, but not sure what you mean by trace. I'm completely useless with the techincal side of things :cry:

In short a 'PING' sends a packet of data to the remote destination requesting it be sent back to the sender. The 'ping time' is the time this takes. So, like most things, the further it has to go, the longer it takes.

Then you have to add on delays in routers and switches. Then you have network congestion. If the data pipe is 'full' the packets get queued and delayed.

Tracing the route the packet takes to the destination will give an indication of how well the various bits of the net are performing. If using a microsoft based OS, open a dos/command box. Type in 'tracert' followed by the address of the destination and sit back and watch.

My PING has been utterly shocking of late:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70350960.png

I live in Lerwick within 50m of the exchange but the internet has become very, very poor from ~ 6pm-midnight.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2223646821.png

Yip! I just don't understand how my ping's been fine for nearly 12 months then the last 4/5 wks it's been utter pish.

Plusnet say it could be down to the weather??? Absolute bullsh*t!!!

If it had been for a few days then possibly but not 4 weeks. Plusnet have run all the tests possible, I pestered them for a week, they even ran the tests at night and said all was fine.

I'm completely at a loss at what to do :cry:

I need to get my CoD fix every other night :cry:

How do you post up the picture of your Speedtest?

My PING has been utterly shocking of late:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/70350960.png

I live in Lerwick within 50m of the exchange but the internet has become very, very poor from ~ 6pm-midnight.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2223646821.png

Yip! I just don't understand how my ping's been fine for nearly 12 months then the last 4/5 wks it's been utter pish.

Plusnet say it could be down to the weather??? Absolute bullsh*t!!!

If it had been for a few days then possibly but not 4 weeks. Plusnet have run all the tests possible, I pestered them for a week, they even ran the tests at night and said all was fine.

I'm completely at a loss at what to do :cry:

I need to get my CoD fix every other night :cry:

How do you post up the picture of your Speedtest?

For now, forget about the PING. Find out why you have such a poor throughput.

Step one, using a wired connection, what does the BT Speedtester say ? - all these other ones you arer using are useless for this diagnosis.