I agree MuckleJoannie but I've reached a point where I pay no attention to these so-called awards.

They're meaningless but nevertheless to see someone who will amass more in 10 years than I'll earn in 50 get an "award" shows just how corrupt society is.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether its a case the nation has such a serious lack of exceptional or remarkable individuals any more worthy of some special recognition, or whether the process of identifying and recommending them is useless, but it largely amounts to the same thing. Just about anybody can get on the list these days, if they make the right noises in the right company, making the exercise nothing but a pointless and obsolete ritual.

Perhaps the greatest evidence of just how outdated the whole thing is, is the reference to "empire" in many of the awards - Britain has not had an empire for over 65 years. Not a lot of people still alive can recall Britain having an empire. Its a relic of days long gone and a different world which only belongs in history.

I've never understood or agreed with people getting awards for doing the job they are paid to do. Unless if course they were to do something exceptional. Why should one person get an award for doing a job for a long period when there are hundreds of workers in the same boat.

Did he do a good job ? yes more than likely, but that's why he was paid a good wage. did he do anything exceptional ? Well I wasn't aware of anything.

I once heard a woman say that her aim in life was to get one of these awards and as she was a nurse I thought I'm sure her aims could be more towards helping those in her care. I've no doubt she will end up getting an award as I know she has asked people to nominate her. Which is why in my opinion these awards have now lost their appeal.

I once heard a woman say that her aim in life was to get one of these awards and as she was a nurse I thought I'm sure her aims could be more towards helping those in her care. I've no doubt she will end up getting an award as I know she has asked people to nominate her. Which is why in my opinion these awards have now lost their appeal.

A very good point. If someone's motivation is to gain an award, rather than do what they do exceptionally well because they believe in the benefits and value of doing it, especially if they are known to be engineering themselves in to a position with those who matter to make getting that award more likely, they should be automatically disqualified from being considered.