Papa Stour

Jonners

.....a hugely expensive prison sentence with .... adult selected by the education authority,

I always found this to be a quite accurate description of any and all schools.

where's the crack, where's the laughs, where's the devilment?

Quite often ending up in....

..... he ended up a scoundrel and .... in jail.....

Or at least in a few visits to see the old Sheriff.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

folks I was at school with that used the hostel from first year tended to do better than most at their education and handled going to college a lot better than most so why would a parent deny their child this head start in life except through a selfish need to keep their kids to themselves for longer.

• 8 months later...

The only problem is the people on there worry about depopulation but there are houses standing empty because people are too selfish to rent them out, its a MINE,MINE,MINE mentality. Even a constant stream of short term rentals by people with children could keep the school and the island ticking over.

It would give people the opportunity to have the children educated on Papa then move off when they go to the high school then giving someone else a chance of life and education on the island. SO ALL YOU WEEKEND OWNERS STOP YOUR WHINGING AND WHINING its nobodies fault but your own when you lose services

I would move to Papa Stour with my three children aged 10, 7, 3 tomorrow if there was anywhere suitable to live. :D

Sorry you must be joking unless u want a child educated in such a detached and removed from reality, narrow world view way!

No Adon I want the children educated to a standard where they wont use "u"

instead of "you" in posts or letters

Are there weekend owners on Papa Stour?? Is this a holiday isle?

Ok then weekend crofters who own a house there (3 at least with 4 houses) and only go occasional weekends to check their properties, maybe you could class it as a holiday island and at least one house that has been empty for quite a while. So room for 5 young families.

I would move to Papa Stour with my three children aged 10, 7, 3 tomorrow if there was anywhere suitable to live. :D

Sorry you must be joking unless u want a child educated in such a detached and removed from reality, narrow world view way!

Ah i see academic snobbery behind your choice of educational goals for ur kids. They may or may not come out with excellent grammar but will hardly be a well rounded education. I myself am educated to PHD level butnhave turd grammar and spelling. I am amazed at the number of young people I meet with a suitcase of qualifications, perverted grammar YET zero social skills. Education is as much about learning to cope I society as is it about the way you write or speak

Ah i see academic snobbery behind your choice of educational goals for ur kids. They may or may not come out with excellent grammar but will hardly be a well rounded education. I myself am educated to PHD level butnhave turd grammar and spelling. I am amazed at the number of young people I meet with a suitcase of qualifications, perverted grammar YET zero social skills. Education is as much about learning to cope I society as is it about the way you write or speak

Have you tried to pry a 10year old from an iphone lately? they all sit in the classroom (mine included) texting each other. when the phone is hidden she complains nobody speaks to her all day.

• 4 weeks later...

We were up there working on a job for Scottish water a year or two back, it's a beautiful place but I hated it due to the 'adverse' winter conditions that we had to endure when we were up there.

I'd love to go back another day when the sun is out and there isn't an 80mph gale....there's absolutely no shelter from the wind out there :(.

I to worked in Papa a long,long time ago. It was a summer job I had with a local construction company. A very beautiful place...on a fine day, but then you can say that for all of Shetland I suppose. We were allowed to down tools & leave the island every second weekend. By god I certainly needed it as most of my workmates found little else to do after we finished working (around 8pm) but drink the vast quantities of Shetland's red rose of the liquid variety along with black rum. Being the youngest just working with them in my Uni. holidays, I bowed to peer pressure & joined in. My mother said when I returned home at the weekend I would usually spend the Friday & Saturday sleeping off the build up of booze from the previous 12 days. :lol:

I don't think I could live there, not just now anyway. I enjoy the endless choices of ways in which I can spend my time off work now on the mainland. Some weekends we just pick an area & drive off to see what that part of the country is like, or sometimes we just stay at home go to the cinema, or the local bowling alley ( though the kids are getting a bit too good for my liking lately ! ), swimming pools, art galleries. After spending my youth in Shetland I still find it exciting the opportunities that myself & my family can go to or take part in.

No doubt someday, perhaps when the kids have flown the nest I may feel the urge to return to the "boanny isle". Though I have no doubt that I will return to mainland Shetland, anywhere else as beautiful as it may be would I feel just be to remote. Especially as I will be considered to be elderly & will need my creature comforts that I have become so accustomed to.