Boxing

peeriebryan

Anybody watch the big fight(s) last night?

It was a shame to see Danny Williams take such a beating from Audley Harrison. The cuts under Williams' eye were pretty bad, but I'm sort of glad it was a cracker of a punch from Harrison that ended it, rather than the fight being stopped because of the cuts.

I don't rate Audley Harrison as a pro boxer, but last night he was a bit more convincing. He was woeful in his last fight with Williams, and if he'd lost again last night, I reckon his career would have been over. I would imagine Williams will be retiring now. I hope he does as his best days are over and he's already come out of retirement at least once before

Amir Khan is some boy though! Just turned 20 a few days ago and fighting his first 10 rounder (against Rachid Drilzane (?)). I reckon Khan won every round apart from the 7th where he took a bit of a tumble. A great display by Khan. He's used to knocking out lower quality boxers in the first few rounds so it must have been a valuable learning experience to go the 10 round distance.

10 pro fights, 10 wins with 7 KOs. Pretty good record for a 20 year old

As for Scott Harrison. I think it's a shame he didn't make the weigh-in weight, but it could have saved him from an embarrassing defeat. If the papers are to be believed (!) he's in pretty poor mental and physical condition. He was a great boxer, but I think the drink has pickled him

Yeah we watched some of it Mr TA was dayshift the day. It was a bit disspointing that the Harrison/Williams fight didn't last that long. Did you see Audleys interview after looked into the camera most of the way through Jim Rosenthal did say "nice of you to look me in the eye".

Didn't see the Khan fight though been impressed with him so far.

Scott Harrison; I was quite glad that he didna fight last night I think it would have been an even bigger disaster for him.

I'm getting quite a fan of Enzo Maccarinelli, Welsh guy, has anyone seen his fights?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did onybody see the Oscar De la Hoya v Floyd Mayweather fight? i thought it was a good fight wisna sae blyde that mayweather won but all in all a good fight to watch as they both had spells in the fight whan dey wir in front.

I missed the fight, but I heard it was a good een that ended with a controversial split decision

I think "Pretty Boy" Mayweather must be the best pound for pound fighter in the world at the moment. Accurate and economical with his punches. But there's something about him. Too smarmy to be charismatic

Did I hear right that Mayweather was retiring after that fight?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah Khan won. He was fighting against Gairy St Clair who was no walkover (well I thought so) They went all 12 rounds. I think St Clair's game plan was to knacker Khan out and hoping he'd make mistakes in the later rounds. Khan managed it but I thought St Clair was really good. I'm surprised that Khan won becuase he kept dropping his gloves but St Clair didn't use that opportunity.

Kahn dropped his guard but only a fraction as much as he has in the past. Definitely his best performance and toughest opponent so far, infact if he had faced him 2 or 3 fights ago Khan would have struggled. Khans hand speed was so fast and relentless St Clair could hardly get near him. Although far from the finished article Khans starting to look like the real deal.

• 1 month later...

Stayed up till 2.15am to watch what could've / should've been one of the all time great British battles, hoping for Macarinelli all the way only to see two and a bit rounds and Mac get floored by the big-headed "casting peats" "Haymaker". Well done to Haye but disappointing it didn't last longer!! :evil: