Shetland Fitba AGM

spencey7

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Yell did well to keep the score against Whitedale down to 6-0. Many sides, including Unst, will concede heavily to Whitedale. I have however heard Whitedale didn't have a full team out which would have helped.

As for zero players missing for Unst thats not true and Unst did try to limit the score by taking of the best players etc. Ian Johnston, Ben Johnston and Jamie MacAuley were missing who all may well have started not to mention any possible additions to the squad. What I meant Spencey7 was that we had a decent starting eleven.

But Yell definately need to get as many of their better players (as listed by spencey7) to play otherwise I can see a terrible season for them topped by not fulfilling all the fixtures. According to Spencey7 this may well happen which can only be beneficial to everyone as NOBODY wants to travel to a game which isn't a fair fight.

But Yell definately need to get as many of their better players (as listed by spencey7) to play otherwise I can see a terrible season for them topped by not fulfilling all the fixtures. According to Spencey7 this may well happen which can only be beneficial to everyone as NOBODY wants to travel to a game which isn't a fair fight.

Here we come across a little bit of a problem - You can't just "get" players to play when they are injured, at university, abroad, or at work! The players I listed are amongst the most dedicated to the squad in the isle, but there's nothing anyone can do to make them available for selection when they are not.

I understand your frustration Spencey7 but Yell have exactly the same problem as other teams. University, injuries and work commitments. Celtic had Paul Regan playing as a sub against Delting due to lack of students.

We all understand the problem of work commitments but some players are working around it when possible.

Injuries are the biggest problem as that cannot be solved readily.

Steven Coutts (abroad on holiday)

Lee Jamieson (at university)

Michael Nisbet (at university)

Arnold Brown (work commitments)

Wayne Odie (at university)

Alan Keith (work commitments)

Jason Jamieson (badminton commitments)

What I was getting at was the above players need to make as much effort to support YFC or bad results are inevitable. With these players and the best Juniors who did not play against Unst surely Yell CAN do OK. The students will be coming home I assume but in the meantime Yell need to get all the best available players to put in a shift and not hide.

I understand your frustration Spencey7 but Yell have exactly the same problem as other teams. University, injuries and work commitments.

Absolutely. But I'm willing to venture that no other side in Shetland had at least 8 guarenteed starting players missing for their first game.

Nothing ventured nothing gained but I think Celtic may argue that one?

I think what most people were surprised at was not necessarily the result but the players who "could play" if they fully backed YFC. We are told of some who would start before those who did but "chose not to be there". One or two decent players can totally change a game of football.

If this is definatley not the case then the boys who played against Unst will have to STRUGGLE on. Not much fun!!

I apalogise for my crap english...

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the scenario is come the end of the season, whether goal difference counts or whether teams records against one another will be the deceiding factor?

Just that with a few heavy defeats inevitable I thought it would make more sense to exclude goal difference as this may help discourage teams from running up scores into the double figures!

Any Ideas?

Not sure getawinner. Very good point though.

I seem to remember it being mentioned at a meeting but don't think it was decided upon or minuted.

The Shetland times isn't doing a dream team this year which is a relief. I seem to remember Delting hammering a struggling Ness last game of the season as the players were trying to build up points even though they had won the league already.

it doesn't matter how you play it getawinner try stopping someone from scoring when they get a chance against any team by saying go easy on them its impossible, football is about winning and to do that you have to score goals, one thing I do wonder about though if for instance Yell did withdraw then do the points that other teams gained against become void?

it doesn't matter how you play it getawinner try stopping someone from scoring when they get a chance against any team by saying go easy on them its impossible, football is about winning and to do that you have to score goals, one thing I do wonder about though if for instance Yell did withdraw then do the points that other teams gained against become void?

Yes like any league if a team droppped out all results involving that team would become null and void.

Both teams know that if we had our full team out, it would have been a very different scoreline.

Haha, du dus mak me laugh spency7.

Lets no forget da reality of the situation on Saturday - it was 11-1 and to be honest da second half wis joos a friendly keek aboot because Unst wanted it to be. It wis men ageenst boys, really.

The gulf in quality wis huge and OK 8 players comin back wid mak a difference but if unst were at full strenght an no takin dir foot aff da gas in da second half the result wudna change! The scoreline however might, by a couple o goals at most.

Did yell no hae yun players available fur most o last year?If no wit wir dy doin all year? whar did they finish? still ahint b teams.

And, in my opinion, only 1, possibly 2 o yun players du mentioned wid mak it into a startin XI for your much awaited "Northern Rovers". Da rest wid be unst players - most present in saturdays drubbing.

:roll:

Spencey, Spencey, Spencey

Having been an avid reader of the last 600 or so posts in this forum, i believe the level of contradiction on your part needs highlighting.

Your incessant argument which runs throughout is that of the amalgamation of Unst and Yell. You continually state that:

:arrow: Everyone in Yell is pro-conglomeration

:arrow: Logistical and organisational problems would not apply

:arrow: It would be a mutually beneficial relationship

Roll on derby day 1,

From what I hear, Yell were frankly embarrassed.

What next from Spencey, a moving tribute to Yell's past glories and a grudging acceptance that the end is nigh?

Not likely!

Turns out Yell had:

:arrow: The highest relative number of injured/completely unavailable players in the history of amateur football in scotland.

:arrow: Players who gladly missed a 2 hour game at the weekend for work?!

:arrow: A majority of players who don't seem to care anymore

I think its time for Spencey to accept that northern rovers wouldn't be so much a partnership, more a chance for the few Yell players who still care to jump ship, and benefit from the superior set-up unst seems to have.

Well done uncmuscles for stating that fact, and sadly it is a fact. Unst may not be a brilliant team but their players have good commitment, loyalty, determination and they do care for their team.

Some Yell players would improve the unst team (perhaps significantly) but honestly, how reliable would they be turning up to play for unst if they can't even turn up for yell games against their fiercest rivals.

Unst were missing,

Ben Johnson- uni

Ian Johnson-college

Bobby Macaulay-work commitments

Jamie Macaulay-uni

Kevin Priest-work commitments

Derek Sutherland-unavailable

Leonard Spence-injured

Jonathon Ritch-work commitments

Jonathon O'Neill- work commitments

Lee Henderson-unavailable

as many as spencey if you include everyone that MIGHT be available at some point this season.