ASTROLOGY

Yowe

Astrology- fact or fiction?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Astrology- fact or fiction?

• Theres truth in it.
    • It's rubbish.

What starsign are you? Do you think you are like the descriptions of that sign? What do you think about astrology in general?

I think the horoscopes in the papers are rubbish but when you look at an individual's birth chart an insight into what makes them tick can definately be found.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pisces

This is a subject i find really frustrating/annoying. I know that all the newspaper stuff is just pap, maybe if you get your proper birth chart done with moon rising and all that there may be more to it, but what really bugs me is that the description of what a person is supposed to be like is so often close to reality! I know it is with me, and i can think of many people( from younger years when i paid more attention to this stuff) who also fit their profile. It's pretty bizarre really.

Hmm, haven't thought about this for a long time........ :?:

I will opt for the "Not Proven" verdict. Certainly the newspaper stuff is just rubbish but there seems to be some research that indicates that a detailed chart is more accurate than by mere chance.

What irritates me are the chancers who offer various readings via premium rate phone numbers. Then again I think the whole premium rate number system should be banned.

I think there is a vast difference between 'Astrology' (Greek for 'science of the stars', one of the most ancient philosophies still in existence. Some estimate it to be more than 5,000 years old) and modern horoscopes (a newspaper column filler invented in the 19 centaury)

The current popular 'horoscopes' (Greek for 'a look at the hours') format first appeared in newspapers in the late 1800's. Initially, they were detailed chart reading for celebrities of the day. A clever editor realised that horoscopes would be more popular if they could somehow include the readers, hence the 12 all encompassing star signs. In essence, a marketing scam. Most 'serious' astrologers regard those horoscopes as worthless, since a horoscope is actually highly personalized, and cannot be generalized to thousands of readers just through the position of the Sun at the time of birth.

One of the most common myths of horoscope believers is that there are 12 constellations, therefore 12 star signs. In 1929, the International Astronomical Union (IAU) adopted official constellation boundaries that defined the 88 official constellations in 8 'constellation families' that exist today. The only reason that there are 12 star signs is for the convenience of dividing up the year.

If Astrology is treated as a science, there needs to be empirical evidence to back up the hypothesis it suggests, of which there is almost none beyond coincidence. Considering how old the practice of astrological study is, I think there would have been a large body of evidence to support the theories (depending on whether you believe Russell Grant or peer reviewed scientific journals).

I personally have no problem with Astrology if treated as a philosophy or a belief system, but people should be aware that it is not a science in the modern context. I see belief in astrology as being similar to most religious beliefs i.e. people look for comfort in the explanation of seemingly unexplainable events by attributing cause to a 'greater power' or some other superstitious 'faith', rather than look for rational explanations.

The stars have very subtle electromagnetic effects on humans. Everything in the universe effects us.

No doubt.

It's going from that to "you will meet a stranger carrying fish today and find a pile of money under a car on thursday" that I have a problem with.

Aahh, the power of Google.

Truly an all seeing deity.......

:lol: :lol:

Goll darn it, i'm going to have to say more about it.

The daily newspaper pap taps into a very well known part of the psyche in eastern culture, particularly China, where divination (particularly throught the I-ching) is regarded as something of a life science, whereby, the answers people seek are really already known to their inner consciousness, but the provision of 'markers' that point to the solution clarify the decision making process.

That is to say, whether or not there is a greater science at work, let alone prophesy, the scenario's provided activate the answers that were already present, and thus justify their existence.

ah, well you're a pisces, you would say that. :wink:

i'm a gemini, so anything that doesn't make immediate sense with this stuff is put down to my contradictory nature or something. although i never said that, but if i did it was my contradictory nature talking. but only if i was ascending in aquarius which only happens on the fifth day of any month with an adverse pluto in transit, but not on a leap year (that would be absurd). i did say that, but may not have meant it, such is my contradictory nature.

so, no, it's all rubbish. although i would only say that if the planets were properly aligned.

the planets made me say it.

etc.

Gemini

Dont believe a word of it!

My brother has a good one where if some asks him to read their sign from a paper he reads the wrong sign and doesnt tell them! "oh thats so true" is their usual response! :lol:

And why is it Birth date and not Conception date? Obviously conception date will be harder to define but .... ?

Andy 8O