Shetland Football Team

Sango

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think it may be better to seperate the new younger players in the squad into an under 21's group, as folk don't think they'll make the full squad? Is a squad o 40 odd not a bit too much to work with?! 8O

No, i think they would learn a hell of a lot more training and playing with the likes of Ross Jamieson, Leighton Flaws etc than being grouped below that. The Junior Association now have development squads at 12, 14, 16, and 18 training regularly together. The next step up should be seniors as by 16, 17 an 18 they are all playing that level anyway.

40 are picked but mark my words JJ will be lucky if he gets 20 at any one session.

Yeh i suppose its probably just to boost the numbers and they will get a learning experience but shouldn't they get a chance to perhaps keep training together once the county squad has been picked? Maybe an Under 21's county game? It seems to be the case that once players are out of the junior county they have little to focus on unless they're good enough to get in the senior squad. Another age group could give players an incentive once they leave juniors and prevent good players dropping into the B league or works league. You could argue that John is doing that by inviting them to senior training, but seriously it could be years before some o those players are good enough to be in Shetland's top 16.

John Johnson explained to my boyfriend that he has now added Derek Duncan and Matthew Saunders to the "training" squad as he wants to train MOST of the keepers as after Craig Dinwoodie and Bobby Wiseman the standard is even. He wants to work closely with them before making up his mind and hopefully improving them in the meantime.

He has also informed the Shetland Times of a few other names to be added the list. He also stated that he never watched any 'B' league games last season. He says he will NEVER pick a player who is playing reserve (B) or works league football.

John Johnson is quite correct in saying he will not pick anyone playing in the B-League for the County - no matter how good they are. If you want to play for Shetland you must play at the highest level available in shetland. Anything other would make the league format a joke.

Markj, i am sure Kirsty was not referring to the B-Team idea. Perhaps she will clarify?

Yes, club loyalty is definately a factor. However, if you are that good you should be it the top division. If your team does not have a squad to compete in the top division you have a decision to make. If your team does have a squad with several A-League players then you should be trying to move the club upwards, for a short time at least.

In the end, it comes down to the vote.

The proposal of a "B" county is certainly an interestin idea. it has been goin in the badminton for several years and seems to be helping bridge the gap between junior and senior level though badminton youngsters seem to be havin far more trouble displacin the older players in that than football as Michael Williamson wud be a mere pup compared to the Keith twins. i also believe that in squash players i.e Jamie Macaulay and Ramsay Hogg have benifited from from being pushed into the senior trainin at an early age.

As i stated before if you are good enough then you should be there no matter what division you happen to play in.

If Whitedale were playin in the B league again this season I wouldnt hesitate to play for them, because that is my club. Why stop playin fur da team you have grew up playin fur to play we a different team? And i hope da rest o da Whitedale boys feel da same.

As i stated before if you are good enough then you should be there no matter what division you happen to play in.

If Whitedale were playin in the B league again this season I wouldnt hesitate to play for them, because that is my club. Why stop playin fur da team you have grew up playin fur to play we a different team? And i hope da rest o da Whitedale boys feel da same.

well last season thompy joined thistle because he wanted to play at a higher level and he said he would go back if whitedale joined the A league. whitedale have joined the A league and he has gone back but not sure if he is playing cause of a lot of injuries he had last year.

As far as im aware a good few o da Whitedale boys were going to join Thistle last year including myself, some were joining other teams such as Whalsay and Scalloway.

But due to Martin Gibbs stepping in and saying he would run the team all the boys came back even tho it was in the B league, Tompy had already signed fur Thistle thinkin we were all following suit.