Housing in Shetland

Angel

Yes. Going to pay off the whole morgage in a few months time as fed up it being such a rip off and it will save me £60K intrest.

I think to may people are obssessed in the Uk about owning a house though when in other European countries they are not. House prices are crazy, dont know how ant one can afford a house in England.

I think the government should not have to provide houseing though. People can either afford to rent somthing, stay with people or to bad go homeless. People should not be subsadised by our taxes.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ ^

You must be in the fortunate position of having won the lottery or having gained a 150k pounds salary. To pay off your existing mortgage and save 60k in the next few months suggests that you must be paying about 200k in settlement. That must be some property.

No wonder you can afford to sneer at people who are less fortunate.

Ah, the prevailing wind of the "I'm alright, Jack" windbag...

I guess so as I dont mind helping my friends and family but have no desire to have to pay taxes to things like houseing for others.

How many people are really homeless? Not many. Most just think they should have somthing of their own or somthing better. If they think so then they should have to pay for it.

If people are actually homeless and on the street then to bad i say. Its not my problem, I dont mind others giving money to help them but I just see it as a fact of life. Not my problem. So I guess Im allright jack is true and I see nothing wrong with that.

Am I mistaken in thinking that tax relief was available on endowment mortgage payments in the past?

Am I mistaken in thinking that tax relief was available on certain home improvements?

Am I also mistaken in thinking that as a homeowner you can claim grants for certain types of home improvements?

Does this mean that as a person in social housing I am subsidising homeowners through my taxes?

8O Shocking :wink:

After a lot of investigation and a restart I have managed to recover my £££££ sign. Sadly missed in the above posts.

What a pity that I couldn't find the control,available on most chat sites,which would allow me to ignore posts from certain individuals.

Unlike you I like seeing other peoples points of view, even if i dont agree with them.

Firstly I would like to wish angel goodluck on finding a house, and hope all is well with the baby. My sister was in a similar circumstance also, so I can relate to whats happening.

I work and pay taxes, currently privatley rent, and I am hoping to buy a house in the near future. I would describe myself as fortunate; fortunate enough to have a job, have a partner, and fortunate enough to be expecting a son or daughter in the summer.

Some people are less fortunate in different ways: being able to afford a house, not being able to find one quick enough, loss of income etc. This I believe (and I hope the majority of the forum would agree with) does not mean they are less deserving compared with someone who has a well paid job, a mortgage etc.

I strongly disagree with styles's comments.

I find some amount of comfort in the fact that this country, if need be, could provide me with a roof over my head, food to eat, etc. and because I pay tax I would expect the government to return the favour and help me get back on my feet.

If everyone who couldnt afford housing, or can't find housing etc. were pushed on to the streets, what kind of outcome would it be for the country's economy?

UNTHINKABLE.

I think its everybody's right in this democracy to recieve help.

I didn't start this thread to be judged, hell I've done enough of that to myself the past few months and can tell you it's not been easy, all I'm looking for is somewhere to live and if all else fails I will privately rent or move into another shared house if I can.

A quote from earlier

If I was unemployed... or just come off the boat from 'Sooth', or an alcoholic or dependant on drugs.... in my opinion I'd be housed straight away. But no I'm an honest, hard working tax payer, so I have no chance.

I sympathise with your situation, but to avoid being judged it is always best not to judge others first :wink:

Personally I think the Clickimin Broch is a waste of valuable land.

Any HH employees out there?

:idea: Convert the Clickimin broch into a huge batchelor pad for Tony Robinson (He seem's well suited to an Iron age Broch), introduce the rest of the Time Team to shetland, and our way of life. There would be a huge insurgence of tourists, we'ed all open up bric-a-brac stalls along Lochside, and we'ed all be better off for it. Not just financialy but socially too. I mean who doesn't want to meet Tony Robinson, Mick Aston, Stewart Ainsworth, Phil Harding, Carenza Lewis, and the rest of the team?