Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

they do seem very grumpy and un intrested. though its getting better with time i think the new layout maybe helping its much brighter than before maybe it was a SAD building.

Many moons ago I used to shop in a suburban shopping centre with a choice of a Co-op or a Gateway. The Gateway store was bright, cheerful and busy while the Co-op was dim, miserable and empty. So far as I could tell it was simply that the Co-op spent less on lighting their store. In the same city I also passed an early version of a mini supermarket which was run by the Co-op on my route home. Bright, welcoming and busy which to my mind shows that how the store looks really does matter.

I suppose, because Co-Op have now lost their storage space to the new shopping experience, all stock to go on the shelves will literally come out "of the back of a lorry" or container waiting around the back!

In fact I like the new look. Perhaps the staff could smile now! :D

Hmm, I didn't think the warehouse part of the supermarket was going to be changed any. Infact they installed a larger chilled storage area in the back when I was working there a month ago...

The supermarket price war heated up on the forecourts as Tesco became the last of the big four to cut petrol prices to below £1 a litre.

Britain's biggest supermarket said it had slashed unleaded petrol to 99.9p a litre at the "vast majority" of its 430 service stations, with prices cut by at least 3p a litre across all fuel types at the firm's forecourt network.

"Tesco first sparked the price war last week as the cost of oil plummeted, now sitting at less than half the 147 US dollars a barrel peak in July. Light, sweet crude oil stood at just over 71.6 dollars a barrel on Friday in trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, but had fallen below 70 dollars this week on fears of weakening demand amid the economic slowdown. Richard Brasher, Tesco's commercial director, said: "We have always said that as the world oil price falls we will pass those savings straight back to customers and that is exactly what we are doing."

The group is also offering customers a further 5p off a litre at its petrol pumps from Monday for every £50 spent in stores".

If Shetland requested that TESCO incorporate a petrol outlet at their Lerwick store the picture would be complete...we would be as a mainland county and "THE FREIGHT" would wane away as an excuse to profit from island life for local smalltime profiteers.

[mod]-tag subbed for

-tag[/mod]

^ You try working in a supermarket.

I agree with that.

I know we're supposed to give service with a smile, but I used to work at Tesco when it was Somerfield, and sometimes you got worn down to the point where you couldn't help but not want to be there, and not smile. People used to tell me to cheer up and I actually wanted to smack them in the mouth. I know that sounds harsh but the person on the checkout might be having a hard time in their personal life, or could've had other customers who've looked down their noses at them and treated them like turd, and telling them to cheer up will not help in the slightest.

I will add, though, that while staff are supposed to be nice to you, you should also be nice to them. You only get what you give.

Guest Anonymous
If Shetland requested that TESCO incorporate a petrol outlet at their Lerwick store the picture would be complete...we would be as a mainland county and "THE FREIGHT" would wane away as an excuse to profit from island life for local smalltime profiteers.

Yes my dear Lax, the picture would be complete. Shetland domination for Tesco.

You know, you're starting to get to me.. I'm actually starting to believe what you say.

There's a helluva lot of sense in some of the modern day preaching. And it's just possible that your particular God could indeed be our saviour.

Perhaps your God will return control of Shetlands oil to Shetland, in which case it can be delivered to Tesco pumps without having to go through all the middle men.... Please tell us which prayer we should use for that to happen? :wink:

(*** Mod - quoting tidied ***)

...we would be as a mainland county and "THE FREIGHT" would wane away as an excuse to profit from island life for local smalltime profiteers.

I'm sure Scottish Fuels will be suitably impressed that you consider them a "local smalltime profiteer". I won't dispute the "profiteer" bit with you, but....

Guest Anonymous

^^^^

Behave dysel Ghostrider. If I idna ken dee better I'd tink dat (readin atween da lines) du wis makin oot dat Tesco wis a bigger profiteer dan Scottish Fuels.

Bit, as alweys, du's laekly richt. So meybe hae ta agree wi dee. :wink: :lol:

^ You try working in a supermarket.

I agree with that.

I know we're supposed to give service with a smile, but I used to work at Tesco when it was Somerfield, and sometimes you got worn down to the point where you couldn't help but not want to be there, and not smile. People used to tell me to cheer up and I actually wanted to smack them in the mouth. I know that sounds harsh but the person on the checkout might be having a hard time in their personal life, or could've had other customers who've looked down their noses at them and treated them like poop, and telling them to cheer up will not help in the slightest.

I will add, though, that while staff are supposed to be nice to you, you should also be nice to them. You only get what you give.

Never ever feel undervalued sassermaet...if you work in a public service industry you have to follow certain rules if the public you deal with are less than respectful...you are the better person not them.

Sal

• 2 weeks later...

Have you noticed lately that Tesco is becoming much the same as Sommerfields was atmosphere wise? the stocking up/ordering has gone down hill too. Items that were previously well stocked are bare or of very few in quantity. The initial enthusiasm the staff had for the first 2 months has diminished (Can't blame them really, I wouldn't like to do their job - but the cheerful ones do stand out and are usually quite new faces).

When you bring your own bags, they forget to add them to your card even when you point out - I have my own Bags. It's not a hard thing to notice and is usually the younger boys who 'forget'.

The co-op have improved their shop greatly. I don't know if it was intentional, but they have trounced all Tescos shortcomings, i.e shelf height, general layout and space. Can you imagine shopping in Tescos at christmas? - Nightmare!!

The staff at present do seem more jolly, I know that it can help the working enviroment vastly when colleagues around you are friendly, approachable and thoughtful. (That hasn't always been the case at either of the stores, or a few of the shops in Lerwick and it shows in the employees demeanour).

So Maybe this is happening at the Co-op, or it could mean that the co-op are receiving less awkward , grumpy customers :)

It is an improvment Co-op and makes for an altogether more pleasant shop.