Harbour Street

ArabiaTerra

What the hell is going on here? It's less than a year (I think) since Harbour St re-opened after being closed for more than a year and half the street is closed off again because they are digging up the pavement!

Is it SIC policy that no-one in the planning dept talks to anyone else? Did noone think "What else could we do while the street is closed?". Are all council planners morons?

It's bloody ridiculous. :evil: I'm surprised any of the shops there are still trading. Do they get compensation for this lunacy?

Grrrrr...

(rant over)

Well I am thinking the same especially when in the near future they are going to start turning the north star into a building site too.

But as i was elquently told when i posed the question, was how long do you want us to wait..?

We stalled it for over a year while baroque was being done.. to you want us to stall it another year til hte death star was done.

I think the short answer is that there is never a good time to close anything in the town centre.

Shop owners do not want it shut anytime that could be "tourist" (April to September) and not also not Novemeber to the end of January (Xmas and Up Helly Aa)

Shut it any other time and somebody else is not happy.

Can we have a poll on the best time to shut it? ;-)

Arabia - I think you will find that the planning dept has f-all to do with this. Direct you anger at the Council's Roads Department instead.

Grrrr - bloody useless roads dept etc..

OR blame the Council themselves for not letting people know about this in the shetland times, etc. :roll:

• 5 weeks later...
I walked past Harbour Street today and I think it is looking lovely, well done to them guys that are working there, I think its the sic roads dpt, done it quick too. Praise where praise is due.

Credit where credit is due. The SIC guys have been doing a good job laying new pavements and any short term inconvenience is certainly countered by the long term gain of decent pavements.

Yes the new pavements around the town have been bloody superb, a really good job.

The road laying has not been to the same standard. Pedestrians tend to note where the puddles are as it is us that end up wearing them when a dozy car driver drives through them.

The road into the Clickiin is a good example. Water lays along there at the side and does not run off into the drains. Car drivers must wonder what on earth I am doing when I rush towards the edge of the pavement as they are driving towards me. Kamikaze pedestrian perhaps! At least that way they move out into the road and avoid the puddles.