• WHALSAY
    • WESTSIDE
    • CUNNINGSBURGH
    • SANDWICK
    • BURRA
    • BRESSAY
    • WHITEDALE
    • YELL

I was led to believe, from a young age, that the Parish Cup was created as a cup competition for parishes outside of Lerwick. It was also agreed that Southern League teams would also be allowed to enter. Can someone (older) confirm this/make it clear for all?

You were wrongly led.

The Parish Cup is a competition that was started by the Shetland Football Association to encourage the game outside Lerwick.

The first teams to play for the trophy were from the southend before other became involved.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the Parish Cup was started by the SFA, then when was the PCA formed?

Was it even a 'parish' competition to begin with?

You stated I was wrong Wheest, then didn't say much different from what I said.

The Parish Cup is a competition that was started by the Shetland Football Association to encourage the game outside Lerwick.

...the Parish Cup was created as a cup competition for parishes outside of Lerwick.

The first teams to play for the trophy were from the southend before other became involved.

It was also agreed that Southern League teams would also be allowed to enter.

Does anyone actually know the exact origins and history of the tournament?

"The first case is on the grounds of age discrimination, after Burra under 10's were refused entry into their premier league"

There is no premier league for Under 10's!!!!!

"The second case is also about discrimination, but this time down to sex. The team in question were ladies team Pumas, who intended on entering the Shetland side, using a club name"

Eh!

Could you please explain both points please.

Eh!

Could you please explain both points please.

i presume eistnwast was trying to be funny, haha

ha

Damn it Baxter, you're just too clever. You saw right throught it, and have now ruined any chances of the story being printed in this week's Shetland Times.

Still, at least I can bookmark this page as evidence that sometimes people do laugh at my jokes.

The Parish Cup was donated to the SFA to promote the game of Association football in the rural area's of Shetland about 1950 or 51?, the southern league teams of Quendale, Queen of the South, sandwick, and bigton competed for it, im no sure when the other teams started competiting but I think Whalsay won it for the first time in 1960 or 61?, I think the games used to be held over two legs home and away, though thats all changed now.

Thanks penfold.

So just a few questions now...

What is the name of the trophy? It sounds like originally it wasn't a 'parish' cup?

At which point did it become the Parish Cup?

When was the PCA formed? Who was originally responsible for the running of the competition?

I previously stated, perhaps wrongly, that the PCA can pretty much do as they please with the running of the competition. But those are the important questions that need to be answered, so we can all know if there is a real case for the competition to be opened up.

Thanks penfold.

So just a few questions now...

What is the name of the trophy? It sounds like originally it wasn't a 'parish' cup?

At which point did it become the Parish Cup?

When was the PCA formed? Who was originally responsible for the running of the competition?

I previously stated, perhaps wrongly, that the PCA can pretty much do as they please with the running of the competition. But those are the important questions that need to be answered, so we can all know if there is a real case for the competition to be opened up.

Started in 1952.

Started by the Shetland FA (SFA).

SFA president Leslie Eunson (Lerwick man) is the man accredited with starting the competition, assisted by secretary Bertie Robertson (Lerwick). A sub committe ran that competition.

First won by Sandwick.

Mostly Southern League sides (Whitness and Weisdale entered a few and played at Tingwall), who dominated the first 9 years. Including two wins by Queen of the South (Virkie) and five by Quendale.

It appears that the SFA still had "control" of the competition up to around the early 80's when Donald Silk and Ian Gray (Lerwick and Scalloway) were still helping to organise it.

The present Parish committee should have minutes that will help to pin point when they became independant of the SFA.

Not clear where the trophy came from. Minutes and notices say "recieved a new trophy" but in 50's language that could mean they simply bought a trophy and recieved it.

Ask a Delting man but I think the inscription says "Inter Parish Trophy"

Unlike the SFA and Works League, the present "association" is not affiliated to the Scottish governing body and could run into problems with many things in these days of litigation and blame because of that.

Whalsay entered in 1961 and won it (strange win as they didn't play any games until the final, playing the southern section winners Sandwick in the final).

As far as actual Parishes are concrened it is clear that these were very rough, broad and changed frequently, and some would say still are (East Voe and Northmavine). In the early days the teams from the southend were more localised than church parishes are. And as far as Whiteness and Weisdale are concerned the rules changed to suit individual players - even included the whole West side so Jim Peterson (Sandness) could play.

The rules were adapted when servicemen came to certain areas like Unst and the South end and once more when Sullom came on the scene.

probably a combination of Jim Petersons book on shetland football and local knowlegde I would imagine Baxter. I bow to your superior knowledge wheest, the Southern league started in 51, and the year after the Parish cup started, think it'll be a while before you see the names Queen of the South, or Quendale on the trophy again though :(