• WESTSIDE
    • CUNNINGSBURGH
    • SANDWICK
    • BURRA
    • BRESSAY
    • WHITEDALE
    • YELL

Awsome Wheesht :!:

Looks like Lerwick and Scalloway could build a good case to be included, if they made as much effort as Wheesht did to find out the facts.

Since I'm against it, here is the case for the defence....

think it'll be a while before you see the names Queen of the South, or Quendale on the trophy again though :(

Or Cunningsburgh, Sandwick, Southend, Yell, Unst, Burra, Westside.

The Parish Cup is a competition that was started by the Shetland Football Association to encourage the game outside Lerwick.

So IMHO, we shouldn't make it harder for teams outside Lerwick to be competitive in this competition.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would read that differently.

The cup appears to have helped football flourish in certain areas. Perhaps it's time some of the more built up areas were excluded to allow healthy competition and to help the game continue to grow in rural areas.

After all there is no difference between Brae and Scalloway. On the other hand the Parish Cup may have out lived it's original purpose, in which case perhaps it is time to look to the future. It's hard to see past anyone except Delting and Whalsay.

Thanks for the history lesson Wheesht !

It's interesting to see that many of the people holding official positions were never eligable to play in the Parish Cup. Perhaps this goes back to it's origins when it was intended to encourage the growth of football outwith Lerwick.

Thanks for the sarcasm Boris!!!!!!!!

EISTnWAST asked the questions I was merely answering them.

And perhaps therein lies the problem. I am a Parish Cup fan, I have no hard and fast notions of non change versus change. Howver, it appears others do and as long as those entrenched views exist football in these isles will never move forward.

To answer your point Boris, football outwith Lerwick, at senior level anyway, is probably healthier than inside the town boundaries so that arrguement simply holds no ground. The teams that win, and will win the Parish cup for very many years to come are the "community" clubs, those who strive to have a set-up that includes youth football at as many age groups as they can get. They are Delting, Whalsay and looking forward a little Whitedale.

So as far as I can see, at present, exclusion for any new entrants is not based on any ability to play the game.

This is what is wrong with sport in Shetland and the country as a whole, people see something succesfull and all they want to do is pull it down and break it up, instead of striving to be as good as it, people say Delting is to big or take out brae because its built up, nonsense, either try to meet the level of competition needed to win the cup or stop moaning!

Nobody worried about the size of their parish when they were not winning, and I'd like to take this opportunity to state I'm not a supporter of delting!

There was no intention at sarcasm. I wasn't aware of some of the stuff you pointed out regarding the history of the Cup.

I agree that football is healthier in the country areas at the moment, however the works league has been a major factor. I think it's a bit unfair to say the Lerwick teams and Scalloway are not community clubs though.

Penfold I appear to have hit a nerve unintentially.

I don't think there is a major out cry for change, I was just pointing out that the Cup appears to have been successful in it's original aims. I raised the issue about Brae, not on the success of Delting, but really on population size and whether this would increase the competativness of the tournament. Perhaps other teams would push on if they had any chance of winning it, and you never know in a number of years those teams may be celebrating the success that Delting are enoying at the moment.

I also realise that this would be unpopular to many because of Deltings long links with the competition.

• 4 months later...

The Draw for the 2008 Parish Cup competition is a s follows

Preliminary Round Saturday the 31st of May

Yell Fc v Cunningsburgh Fc

Burra Fc v Whitedale Fc

Quarter Finals Saturday the 28th of June

Southend United Fc v Delting Fc

Westside United Fc v Sandwick Fc

Yell or Cunningsburgh v Whalsay FC

Burra or Whitedale v Unst Fc

Semi-finals Saturday the 2nd of August

Yell, Cunningsburgh or Whalsay v Westside or Sandwick

Southend or Delting v Burra, Whitedale or Unst

Parish Cup final Saturday the 23rd of August

Other points of note were the change of the Under 21's Parish Cup from a 11-a-side knockout tournament to a one day 7-a-side tournament,

the present set-up of teams like Southend Utd and Sandwick as well as Cunningsburgh and Burra and Whitedale and Westside Utd being amalgamated to form 11 a side teams will cease and each team will field a separate 7 a side team in the competition there will also be no allowance to field overage players, teams can have a squad as large as they like but must name 11 players per game e.g. 7 starting players on the pitch and four subs.

It is proposed to try this set-up as a trial for one year if people don't feel they like it then please remember to attend next years AGM to make your views heard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

You ken me ballack totally tee-total, its true honest, bressay were looking to enter a league and asked about the southern league, and when we told them the league competition didnt exist anymore then they decided to try and gain entry to the Parish Cup this year.

Im no sure Shetlandbairn, I dont hold the books for the Parish Cup, I seem to think they do hold an indian sign over you guys tho :wink: You never know what this years draw will bring tho a tasty away trip to Unst for starters?

I've just noticed that was last year's draw! Haha. I thought I'd read about the u21s changing to a one day tournament before. :oops:

As for Bressay wondering about the Southern League, could that kickstart it again?