Shetland's Island Games Team

tlady

Faroe don't send a mens team, and are very unliky to again given as they are dining at the top table now.

I know. Was using a stupid example to make a point about seedings.

I wonder though, would they enter a team if the games were held in Faroe?

faroe play in international football so they wouldnt be allowed to play their team, they might do what bermuda have done and play a team of 17-21 year olds.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.islandgames.net/pdfs/football_by_laws.pdf

Nothing about teams having to be seeded here.

http://www.islandgames.net/pdfs/operational_guidelines.pdf

Under section 6 nothing regarding standard to stop someone competing. Although it is very unlikely Faroe would enter a full strength football team.

Here are some examples, taken from http://www.sportscotland.org.uk/ChannelNavigation/News/TopicNavigation/Latest+News/Articles/NatWest+Island+Games.htm

Kelly Sotherton (Isle of Wight), the Olympic bronze medal winning heptathlete

Simon Militis (Jersey) and Darren Mew (Isle of Wight), arch rivals in the pool throughout the 1990's, who both represented Great Britain in Sydney and in Manchester, with Militis winning a Commonwealth Games bronze medal

Mattias Sunneborn (Gotland) who won a long jump world indoor silver medal

Carl Prean (Isle of Wight), one of the world's top ten table tennis players.

Anyone got anything concrete to back up what they're saying?

What does it matter if Shetland are not seeded? I have never been aware of any seeding mentioned previously but even if there was all the others missing at Rhodes are in the same boat.

Western Isles coped good with the heat so it seems that was a poor excuse for not going.

Now would it not be a good idea to organise a competitive match against them for the Shetland team? What about a three way inter county?

What does it matter if Shetland are not seeded? I have never been aware of any seeding mentioned previously but even if there was all the others missing at Rhodes are in the same boat.

Western Isles coped good with the heat so it seems that was a poor excuse for not going.

Now would it not be a good idea to organise a competitive match against them for the Shetland team? What about a three way inter county?

The Western Isles did not cope with the heat.

PM me and I will text you coments made by a member of the WI team. Shambles, transport and "the boys will be suffering for a week or two because of the heat"

Shetland did playe the WI in Stornaway at the end of last season. I understand that trying the three way Scottish Isles thing was looked at and Shetland were the only team that would commit to travelling every three years.

Who let the players down??

The association, the management team. You would think it would move Shetland forward being involved in as many competitive events as possible. I mean are the current squad going to progress by playing 3 friendly games in the north of Scotland?? Still only leaves the match against Orkney as a meaningful contest.

Well done to the Western Isles. Good to see they're moving forward after the 2005 games.

Who let the players down??

The association, the management team. You would think it would move Shetland forward being involved in as many competitive events as possible. I mean are the current squad going to progress by playing 3 friendly games in the north of Scotland?? Still only leaves the match against Orkney as a meaningful contest.

Well done to the Western Isles. Good to see they're moving forward after the 2005 games.

My point has always been, and still is, to ask why all the outcry about the football TEAMS (men and women) for taking a democratic decision based on, I think, the facts gathered?

Shetland won how many gold medals in the 2005 games? Ten if I recall correctly and I ask again, why are those who are, still bashing the winners of one of those medals for not going to Rhodes and not the others?