Shetland's Island Games Team

tlady

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the footballers choose not to go to Rhodes because it would be too hot for them. Apparently it was medical advice. Strange how athletes and cyclists haven't been given the same advice ?

I think it may have been choosing not to compete before getting beat ?

Bit of a shame for the fringe players who could have got a lot of experience, it also means that at the next games they will not be seeded so the draw will be much tougher.

Let's see how they get on in the Scottish tour when they get humped.

I hear the excuses are coming out already. They are playing 3 or 4 games in a row and the teams they will be playing will be totally fresh !!

Typical footballers. :roll:

As far as I know all the teams were told about the conditions in Rhodes and could then make their own decisions on wether to enter or not. The Athletics team has been going to the sauna to try and get used to the heat,and they are very aware the heat could be their downfall (anyone who has used the clickimin track will know that there is very little heat there ) but I hope all the Shetland team do well at their particular sports and come back with a few medals.

So the footballers choose not to go to Rhodes because it would be too hot for them. Apparently it was medical advice. Strange how athletes and cyclists haven't been given the same advice ?

I think it may have been choosing not to compete before getting beat ?

Bit of a shame for the fringe players who could have got a lot of experience, it also means that at the next games they will not be seeded so the draw will be much tougher.

Let's see how they get on in the Scottish tour when they get humped.

I hear the excuses are coming out already. They are playing 3 or 4 games in a row and the teams they will be playing will be totally fresh !!

Typical footballers. :roll:

there is a bit of difference in say running 100m in about 11 seconds or doing the 400m in 55 seconds, compared to running constantly for 90 mins in 35 degree heat :roll:

are shetland competitors competing in the marathon and half marathon in rhodes?

shetland footballers rarely play in temperatures above 15 degrees so to go there and play in middle of the day in 35 degrees just isnt sense. plus they would have to play 3 games in 5 days or something.

if they could have somehow arranged for their games to kick off at 7pm then it would be cooler, professional leagues abroad like spain play at night.

Or couldn't they just have gone for the experience and done their best under the circumstances, with no particular expectations on performance?

I'm sure that winning or losing was never an issue, more about the health of players.

A couple of questions, why are we not discussing the lack of golfers, volleyball team, reduced athletics team, womens football etc, and if it is about defending the gold medal how many of the 2005 gold medals are being defended?

Dear oh dear oh dear,

i like the way that you are trying to make our footballers out to be a bunch of prima donnas who simply don't want to travel for fear of losing their title in Rhodes :roll:

You cannot match the efforts required to play 5 games in 6 days against a one-off athletics event.

I'm not saying that the half or full marathon is easier to complete than a game of football but the athletes will not be asked to participate in a half-marathon in the heat of the day on the Sunday then again on the Monday, then again on the Tuesday, maybe a rest day on the Wednesday and finish off the week with another on the Thursday and Friday!

These guys (footballers) have taken advice from experts and decided against it, and as Wheesht has pointed out they aren't the only ones to have taken this choice.

Whilst going to an Island games may be looked on as a bit of a holiday by some on this forum i can assure you that as a competitor it is anything but.

I say we lay off the footballers and hope that their tour to the North of Scotland is a success and a good building platform for the next Island Games in 2009!

Whilst going to an Island games may be looked on as a bit of a holiday by some on this forum i can assure you that as a competitor it is anything but.

Hardly like serving in Iraq though, is it?

But yeah, it's entirely their choice to miss thing fantastic opportunity, for whatever reason. Just seems to me that they're missing out.

i like the way that you are trying to make our footballers out to be a bunch of prima donnas who simply don't want to travel for fear of losing their title in Rhodes

Thank you .

I see that there are 11 islands competing in the mens football and 11 islands in the womens football in Rhodes. That is an increase on the number of football teams competiing in the games in Shetland 2005. Obviously the heat has not put others off competing.

Maybe teams thought it was too cold to play here ? :wink:

Maybe teams thought it was too cold to play here ? :wink:

Or maybe it's because one of the member islands ran their own tournament at which some of the other sides entered instead of coming to Shetland.

(*** mod edit - quoting tidied ***)

Guest Anonymous

A few weeks ago, here in Norway, we had a heatwave, with temperatures in the high 20'sC for about 5 days.

As a Shetlander, used to working in in temperatures seldom over 16C, to suddenly be doing a very hard manual job in such high temperatures, damn near killed me.

I don't like football, and would be the last person to say anything in support of the sport, but, on this occasion I am 100% in agreement with the decision for the team not to risk their health.

Unlike a normal worker who, when the temperature rises, can slow down a bit, football players are driven by their competitive spirit, and would have been all too likely to play beyond their physical limits in such high temperatures.

Like somebody else said... Lay off the footabllers.....

Slag off councillors instead,, it's much more fun :twisted:

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

(I still don't like football) :lol: