Spelling & Grammar

dtothet

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and at a local petrol station there is a sign in the window which reads........ ''Do not park before the windows''

Surely not Bolts?

They might do better with "Please do park before the windows, or at least do not drive through them"

Guest Anonymous
...and at a local petrol station there is a sign in the window which reads........ ''Do not park before the windows''

I'm wondering if the sign is a bad translation from Shetland.

Because if somebody said in Shetland "Dunna park i'fore da window", meaning "Don't park in front of the window"; it could have been misconstrued as "Dunna park afore da window", meaning Don't park before the window. If you see what I mean :? Just thinking of the age old problem of english/scottish scribes who translated many things wrong. :lol:

Although perhaps I'm the only Shetlander who uses i'fore and afore as two totally separate statements.

PS. Don't bother pointing out the crap grammar and punctuation in this post. I know. :wink: :lol:

Meh. To each their own.

'Meh' finds its way into new Collins English dictionary

At least someone is excited about "meh".

The expression of indifference or boredom has gained a place in the Collins English Dictionary after generating a surprising amount of enthusiasm among lexicographers.

Publisher HarperCollins announced that the word had been chosen from terms suggested by the public for inclusion in the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition, to be published next year.

The origins of "meh" are murky, but the term grew in popularity after being used in a 2001 episode of 'The Simpsons' in which Homer suggests a day trip to his children Bart and Lisa.

"They both just reply 'meh' and keep watching TV," said Cormac McKeown, head of content at Collins Dictionaries.

Guest Anonymous
20 November, 2008

SHETLAND'S lifeline ferry Hrossey arrived in the isles four hours this yesterday (Thursday) after hold ups during an exercise on board the vessel in Aberdeen harbour, the previous night.

:wink:

Perhaps this thread should be titled "Grammar, Spelling, and Lack of proof reading"

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, I meant it's with the apostrophe denoting ownership, the thread belonging to it, but I was wrong! Its as a possessive noun requires no apostrophe, apparently.

I'm sure this hasn't always been the case. For many years I used an apostrophe in this situation, and I'm sure "All Round English" (with Scatty, remember that? [God, how I hated that excercise book]) taught us such in the seventies, as did "Word Perfect".

Oh yeah, and "Once a Week Comprehension".

I wrote on another thread:

Shetland's climate rather puts pay to any debate on the matter

...and then I had a feeling that it wasn't quite correct. I Googled "puts pay" and then I Googled "puts paid", the end result being that both seem to be acceptable, although I couldn't find any reason. The latter seems to be the more common of the two which tends to suggest I was right to question my grammar.

Any ideas?