Flybe - wheelchair availability at Edinburgh Airport

Frances144

I knew I needed a wheelchair to meet me at Edinburgh airport so I emailed their special assistance email address requesting that one met me at the plane from Sumburgh and there was one available for my return trip (same day).

I was assured by email that this would be available and a wheelchair was duly waiting for me at the bottom of the steps of the plane from Sumburgh.

Upon my return to Edinburgh airport, there was no wheelchair. I managed to get to the DIY check-in section where a Flybe rep/assistant/helper was showing folk how to work the computer. When I asked her if she could find me my wheelchair, she pointed and said "go over there (pointing miles away into the distance) and find one for myself" or to request for one when I checked in. I told her that standing in a queue let alone walking was a virtual impossibility and that a wheelchair had been pre-arranged for me to meet me upon my arrival at the airport. This Flybe rep then appeared annoyed that I had bothered her, flounced off in her clacky high heels to the Flybe info desk to arrange a wheelchair for me by telephone. This appeared to inconvenience her day greatly and made me feel that I had solely contributed to this.

So be warned, if you want a wheelchair and have alreayd made arrangements at Edinburgh airport, Flybe will treat you like an inconvenient piece of dirt.

It made a bad, stressful day 100% worse. Thanks FLybe.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need a wheelchair, it's better to advise the staff at check-in, at, say, Sumburgh and they will put a message on the departure to advise the other end that a wheelchair is required.

The EU have brought in legislation which means that each airport authority (i.e. BAA, HIAL)will be reponsible to prove assistance to passengers with restricted mobility.

This is fine, but communications between airports is the most important factor.

The main line of communication will probably still be the request made either when you book the flight or when you check-in. At least you will then know that the airline will be "responsible" to see you are met.

One of problems is the current booking systems doesn't have a box to tick for special needs. If you are on a hospital booking then they "should" identify this need in the reservation.

The rudeness and lack of caring you received is just unforgiveable, even if the person was tasked to fulfil a different role.

Mind the demands on airport workers get is quite extraordinary - like asking a baggage handler to tow your car..................

• 2 weeks later...

I flew fae sumburgh to edinburgh with my own wheelchair a couple of years ago. Got up on to the shetland plane via a hydraulic lift they had for the purpose.

When the plane arrived in edinburgh I was told to wait until everyone else was off then two burly men came with a handheld stretcher to manually carry me down the steps off the plane! No lift of any description for wheelchair users to get on or off planes at gigantic edinburgh international airport.

I asked the men how often they had to carry wheelchair users on and off planes in edinburgh and they said they have to do it about 40 times a day, every day.

Absolute piece o bruck!

I am still a-wheelchairing with Flybe and I must say they are horrible to me.

Last time I wanted to have my wheelchair after the security bit and shops at Aberdeen airport - not a huge walk and one I wanted to do as I haven't seen a shop for at least a year. "Customer Service Desk", and I use that term very loosely, told me that I could only have a wheelchair before security and no I could not look at the shops but just get straight on the plane (so i would go through security last minute). I said but I want to look at the shops and could manage that. No, i was told, it was before security or nothing.

So I went and ate my lunch and thought abit about the situation.

I went back to "Customer Service Desk" and said in a very loud voice, in front of all the other desk staff (EasyJet, etc), "Fine, I have taken my morphine. I am going through Security now and I will go shopping on my own. If I pass out, perhaps Flybe would have the courtesy to then provide me with a wheelchair" and off I stomped (well, limped - I have slipped discs in my back and awaiting urgent NHS surgery).

I did what I set out to do, knackered myself and limped down to the gate (luckily a nearby one) and went to sleep (morphine and pain does that for you!) by the desk waiting to be called to board the plane. Funnily enough Flybe sent a wheelchair plus attendant to find me to get me on the plane first.

There is a lot of work to do before this system even begins to work and no one wants to get involved or help. I am beginning to become an expert as I am using their system on a fairly regular basis - Consultants, scans, ops..... and I am not impressed. Flybe have made me feel small, unhelpful and in their way.

Sadly, I couldn't find the bit where it says "be sure to treat your passenger requiring a wheelchair like a dog turd recently found on the bottom of your shoe after you have walked around a house with a white carpet".

Funny that!

Oh well, Round 3 before Christmas as I'm going down for the long-awaited Surgery. I will let you know if the festive spirit will have improved their Customer Relations special skills. There are a few issues Aberdeen end, IMO, that could do with improvement.

btw, thank you Rasmie for that interesting read. Appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I was at Edinburgh airport about a month ago waiting on the Shetland flight. The Orkney plane was leaving a few minutes earlier and there was a series of announcements requesting a passenger to checked in to board. After a couple of announcements threatening to cancel his travel the guy turned up being pushed in wheelchair. Another example of Flybe's service!

Once again I find myself defending Flybe. Problems at Edinburgh Airport are either caused by BAA who own and operate the airport or Flybe's handling agent which I think might be Servisair. Now I have no desire to defend Flybe but checking on-line for reviews of this airline I do find that people are generally happy with the planes and the flight crew but not so complimentary about the service at some of the airports and very scathing about the on-line booking system.....but that is another story.

Flybe take the bookings, promise the known-earth and delegate to airport staff...... some times they listen and it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I, for one, am very glad Aberdeen have got it sussed now as that is the Shetland hospital route but some other Scottish airports have a long way to go before they get it right.