Scalloway Fire Festival

Colin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if the kid is on the mend and bearing in mind that lots of people have spent lots of money on this event could there not have been some sort of arrangement whereby the 2010 Jarl could have stood in for this year's Jarl or that the most senior member of this year's Jarl's squad could have become Jarl and this year's Jarl could have officiated in 2010.

As for Piddly's comments I do have to argue with the concept that the Lerwick UHA is any more real than the Scalloway Fire Festival and the rural UHAs and I am certain that the Lerwick UHA could be cancelled if circumstances justified it.

Had the fire festival gone ahead, the Jarl Squad would not have been present & many other squads would have pulled out (known fact).

I know any sensitive person would not be bothered one bit about the credibility & damage to the reputation of the festival, the inconvenience to the halls & as for the squad members who weren't consulted-not spoken to many squad members, have you?

As max said, some things are more important than a p*** up so stop thinking about the halls takings & show some respect & most of all sensitivity towards baby & family.

You make me sick

Now if the kid is on the mend and bearing in mind that lots of people have spent lots of money on this event could there not have been some sort of arrangement whereby the 2010 Jarl could have stood in for this year's Jarl or that the most senior member of this year's Jarl's squad could have become Jarl and this year's Jarl could have officiated in 2010.

2010 squad haven't even deciced who their Jarl is yet! :lol:

...and I am certain that the Lerwick UHA could be cancelled if circumstances justified it.

Lerwick UHA has been both cancelled and postponed several times.

1901 was cancelled due to the recent (22nd Jan) death of Queen Victoria (leading to the infamous R.S.B.B. invitations).

1915-1919 were cancelled due to WWI

1940-1948 were cancelled due to WWII

The last postponement was 1965 due to Churchill's recent (24th Jan) death. Another notable postponement was 1900 due to a flu epidemic.

Well said EM. You summed up the feelings of almost everyone i have spoken to. Colin's input to this post is highly insensitive, innaccurate and offensive.

OK. Were you at the meeting? If so, please tell me where my posts have lacked sensitivity, been inaccurate or, more to the point, offensive?

To combat but one of his many tedious points, the one about people paying to travel here, a jarl squad member was travelling over from Alaska to partake. He is still coming over, but refused to go out if the jarl couldn't. Some things come before a public hall's takings.

I NEVER mentioned the Public Halls takings. I did, however, point out the amount of organisation and other work that has already gone into the event.

All squads were at the meeting, so they had a chance to talk to all their members and gauge opinion. I also think that we have not indeed evolved beyond a p**s up, common sense and decency comes first.

It wasn't me who accused the SFF of being a "p*** up"

Also You can't compare Scalloway Fire Festival to the Lerwick UHA, much smaller community.

I didn't. It's much better than that. :wink:

I understand that the Guizer Jarl was quite happy for someone to stand in for him.

One of the reasons given to me for postponment was the fact that several squads every year take off the Guizer Jarl and his family. This year they would not have felt right doing so with them at a sick child's bedside, and no doubt the audience would have felt the same. This could have knocked a big hole in some squads' acts.

Had the fire festival gone ahead, the Jarl Squad would not have been present & many other squads would have pulled out (known fact).

Which is why I suggested a constitutional change.

As max said, some things are more important than a p*** up so stop thinking about the halls takings & show some respect & most of all sensitivity towards baby & family.

As I replied elsewhere, I have NEVER mentioned the Hall's takings (or expenses for that matter) and I DID NOT refer to it as a "p*** up".

You make me sick

I'm sorry if I've made you sick but, I'm not resposible for the interpretation you apply to my posts.

No, but neither were you. Also someone who was at the meeting phoned me up about your posts absolutely fuming about what you had said. The insensitivity lies in pathetic little complaints about the people who bought tickets and the halls credibilities when the main man's peerie boy is lying on a life support machine. Do you think the squads put no work in? That we wanted it cancelled? It wasn't the right decision, it was the only decision. My earlier post may have been emotional, but it mirrored the emotions of the other people i've told about what you have been saying.

All i was trying to convey at the start of the post was how the VAST majority were thinking.

whats the scalloway fire festrival gone past Colin????????????????

is this a dig at scalloway folk or what

Not a dig at Scalloway people at all, quite the reverse.

I was trying to point out that the Fire Festival has become a significant event in the local calendar that attracts people from all over Shetland (and elsewhere) due, mainly, to the quality, commitment and general sobriety of the squads. It is not a "p*** up" and hasn't been for a number of years and, in my opinion, it has a reputation approaching that of Up Helly Aah.