Where is the best place for a MOT in Shetland?

Trout81

Define 'best'? Do you want an MOT tester that will tell you about all the safety related defects on you vehicle or do you want a cheap certificate?

My idea of a good MOT may be different to some other people! :mrgreen:

Is the days of the 'cheap certificate' no gone? I think all working to a standard these days, Jims certainly have a reputation of being by the book, where maybe some of the smaller garages, use a bit of common sense but still know what to fail

^ all true, altho "some" smaller garages may be out to make a quick buck

by looking for "work" on their slow weeks via MoT failures.

Jims MoT centre don't do repairs afaik, and his garages are always busy

Brae Garage is always busy, so book in advance ;)

a "story"(I'll call it that cos I heard it second hand) I heard was that a car was taken to a local MOT station and failed needing welding to the sills.

said car was then taken home and hubby did the welding required.

when the car was collected from the re-test it had an additional £50 charge

for work done and when asked it was "welding to the sills"....go figure.

I had my Skoda Octavia in for first MOT in Aberdeen test centre on Dec. 17th 2008 , having done all of 12,100 miles!

The test centre entered 21,365 miles on the cert. They were reading, incorrectly too, the trip mileage at 2,136.5!

They had to make a correct cert., it took two weeks.

Could they miss anything else?

Jims might do a good job but theirs sensible and then picky, Em sorry sir your car failed ! Oh ok sorry ile pick it up at t time !

Well I never that took all of 5 mins to fix failed on a number plate bulb ?

And that was a relation ? o the testors car !

I would a said Brae its always busy but that tells you something in itself and im never heard o them touting for business on quiet weeks ?

Heard it about certain other test stations in town though.

Garage where I've had all mot's done for years sadly burnt doon last year and they recommended I went to Brae. I was told to book in advance which I did, I put car up the night before and it was ready for me at dinnertime to pick up. I was a bit wary of going anywhere else but was glad I did and car will be back this year.

I'll be putting my car for an MOT shortly and was wondering where is best or who rips you off. :)

(***Mod Edit - Moved to Consumer Advice & Resources***)

Contact Ronnie Gair as Gair Motors in Lerwick. They'll check the vehicle for any defects prior to your MOT - so no surprises! Great service too.

Frankly, I'd give Jim's wide berth. They like to hike their charges by usually finding something wrong.

Frankly, I'd give Jim's wide berth. They like to hike their charges by usually finding something wrong.

Finding something wrong is what they're supposed to do. They would be being remiss in their duty if they passed something that wasn't fine. In my experience, Jim's garage would have no reason to find anything unnecessary because they aren't doing the work; just the test.

• 1 month later...

I forgot to book my car for mot in Brae and put it to a place in Lerwick after I had a pre mot check and got told my car needed nothing done ( by the guy that does all work I need done) the place in Lerwick failed it :cry: I will never ever go back there and I'll tell everyone I know never to go there either. There were loads of swear words all the way back to the mechanic that I trust. I'm even seriously thinking of getting the "fault" fixed and paying another £54 to get somewhere else to do another mot or scrapping the car and buying another. I'm still spitting feathers :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: