As would I.

Sorry but, As would I what?

As would I. - As would I not react...

As would I. - As would I welcome..

As would I. - As would I wonder...

As would I. - As would I be happy...

As would I. - As would I be insulted...

:?:

I wish more people put as much thought and effort into their language skills.

I wish more people put as much thought and effort into their communication skills.

Whilst slightly displeasing on the eye, the grammatical errors EM has mentioned do not, for me, largely detract from the content. I find that (on an internet chat forum where grammatical precision is less important) I can gloss over such errors as long as the meaning is clear...which is surely the purpose of any communication, is it not?

That's not to say people shouldn't make an effort to get it right. Typos can obliviously creep in from time to time. :P

Sorry but, As would I what?

As would I. - As would I not react...

As would I. - As would I welcome..

As would I. - As would I wonder...

As would I. - As would I be happy...

As would I. - As would I be insulted...

:?:

Hehe, I rest my case! I would be happy to be informed of any errors in my spelling, grammar or terminology. I happened to gloss over EM's last sentence, which would make my reply sound as if I would be insulted if people brought my typos to my attention. I wouldn't.

This shows how easy it is for people to get the wrong end of the stick on internet forums.

--> Edit - Which also shows that if you make an effort to get your point across in an efficient manner then there's less chance of people getting their wires crossed.

Incongruous? Moi?! :wink:

My virtual friends, it has genuinely gladdened my heart to have read your posts on my oft inane ramblings. I can only assure the slightly cynical Master Maywick that I am, indeed, a genuine holder of the sworn office of Constable, within our community. Had you seen me after I read your posts, one might have easily distinguished me as the rather pleased looking chap, on Market Street, with the broad grin and the ill-fitting deerstalker (I know this was more an addition to Conan Doyle's creation, however, I pray you will allow me the poetic licence in this instance?), such was the temporary swelling of my cranium.

As to poetry and language, I have always believed that the scions of those responsible for some of the most significant early sagas and histories would be genuinely appreciative of the richness of language, and such would appear to be the case within this splendid forum.

On the subject of my posts being so filled with trees that the wood may not easily be distinguished, I would point out that the writings of some of the finest authors known to the English language are renowned for deftly concealing meaning, messages and allegories in what - to some - may appear to be rambling gibberish. While I do not portray myself as being on a par with Master Shakespeare, may I not, perchance, dream of such prosaic heights?

Personally, I would rather be guilty of verbosity and loquaciousness, than "text-speak" or (shudder) "twittering". However, to each their own... :)

Mistress Khitajrah, I would willingly lobby for the introduction of top hats and capes for all detectives, however I fear some of my splendid colleagues might object, and that the stab-proof lining might detract from the cut of the material. Ah me... Furthermore, not all my fellows lay have the necessary presence and gravitas to carry off such splendid apparel in the requisite manner! For my own part, the chin strap (necessitated by local climate) might also ruin the overall look. :wink:

I, too, hold doors and adhere to the tutelage of my parents in respect of manners and gentility. I do believe that manners maketh the man. Or woman. Their cost is nought more than a second or two of our time, which cannot be so precious as to needlessly upset and inconvenience our fellows, surely?

My slightly archaic use of our delightful language will continue herein, as long as my fellows are willing to put up with me. As to the manner in which others may choose to post, vive la difference!

I remain now, more than ever,

Your humble and appreciative servant. :) :wink:

... as long as the meaning is clear...which is surely the purpose of any communication, is it not?

Agree completely. It is interesting to note that the very nature of the problem has changed due to the use of spell checkers. In the past people with "bad" spelling made whatever mistakes and others had to decipher the result directly. Now, spell checkers highlight words which do not exist, but allow words to pass which are real but incorrect. This means that the resulting texts are often more difficult to understand than were they non-corrected.

Incongruous? Moi?! :wink:

Positively incongruous, I intended. :wink:

Shetlink has embraced and endured many literary styles over the years, including the highly evolved 'text-speak' or even "lolcat" language, we've had punctophobics and SHOUTERS and persistent non-dialectual phoneticists. All are welcome, some are stimulating.

Those who take the time to craft an opinion rather than merely express it add an entertaining element to otherwise entertaining debates. Character enriches the homogeny, whether it be phonetic Shetland language (of which we are all sadly unaccustomed in its written form and hence struggle to decipher at times) or nineteenth century verbosity.

Though, if I/we are hurriedly trying to moderate, anything other than the monarch's finest syntax is a twinge in the nape. :P

:wink:

Which reminds me of an old but worthy prank to play on those that choose to rely on spell-checkers and not proof read their documents.

Most Word Processing software will allow you to add items to the spell-checker. Alter the spelling of a commonly used word and see how long it takes them to notice! :twisted:

Cynical, Sherlock? Assuredly not.

Surely someone in your position would applaud me for the stance I take in not taking for granted people are who they claim to be.

Indeed, you could very well be a 77 year old crack addict in Kentucky or a 12 year old girl in Vilnius. Both unlikely, I'll concede, but nevertheless possible.

And finally whilst I wholeheartedly agree that there is a time and a place for verbosity and garrulity, I will remain of the opinion that being so on this very forum simply ensures that your message does not reach as wide an audience as it could. For me, substance beats style hands down.

What an enjoyable topic this has been, I've read it with delight and full comprehension, so keep it up good folks and another vote for Sherlock.

And please feel free to point out any mistakes I make, I try my best but sometimes get it wrong :)

Master Maywick,

One might be forgiven for thinking that you seem somewhat determined to find me guilty of some offence. Whether against language, sensibility, content, or your own good self, I know not.

The encouragement received from others indicates to me that content and style both appear to be reasonably well-received by our peers. I am, truly, sorry that you do not agree, however it is all part of growing up and being British to reach an understanding that, invariably and inevitably, one may not please every quarter of an audience all of the time. My shoulders shall, eventually, recover from their current slumped posture as my disappointment ebbs. :wink:

Come, come, my dear fellow. Have we not each agreed to disagree on this matter? For my part, I take no issue with the manner in which any party may choose to post herein, as long as the content is not slanderous, malicious, nor designed to slight another. For my own part, I do not seek to alienate, aggrieve nor irritate any party. That my posts may do so, in your case, is now duly recognised. We all have some small burden to bear. Rest assured, I shall continue to peruse your own posts with open mind and naught but good will to you.

I would counsel you against being overly suspicious. however. Such a view can be common, particularly on my own occupation, where one sees more of the worst in some folk. However, such metaphysical armour tends to bring with it a tarnish, which - long-term - affects the soul, and may curdle the milk of human kindness in an era when, more than ever, one's humanity has become truly precious and important.

I digress, sir, and would discourse more, however my Grandpapa's crack pipe has extinguished, and he is calling me from my homework in order to relight it for him. :wink:

Veliau, mano draugas!

(the above should have been appended to my previous, however this confounded contraption is at odds with me, once more, and posted my last before it had been completed. Now the deuced thing will not allow addition or editing, for some reason! Ah, for my dear friend, Watson, and his faithful journal!! :? :wink:)

Your humble servant. :)

I enjoy Sherlock's posts as much as the next person, what I originally took issue with was the percieved tone in which the post's were "delivered", which, admittedly, is another topic althogether. I do however, find it slightly irritating that since sherlock has been posting, particularly on this thread, in such an eloquent and attractive way, that other shetlink members have decided that they should attempt to; if not mimick the posting style, then at least use words that they would not normally use in their postings.

Master Maywick,

One might be forgiven for thinking that you seem somewhat determined to find me guilty of some offence. Whether against language, sensibility, content, or your own good self, I know not.

I would counsel you against being overly suspicious. :P

Come, come, my dear fellow. Have we not each agreed to disagree on this matter? For my part, I take no issue with the manner in which any party may choose to post herein, as long as the content is not slanderous, malicious, nor designed to slight another. For my own part, I do not seek to alienate, aggrieve nor irritate any party. That my posts may do so, in your case, is now duly recognised. We all have some small burden to bear. Rest assured, I shall continue to peruse your own posts with open mind and naught but good will to you.

I don't think we are in disagreement. All I have suggested is that using a less florid turn of phrase may widen your audience. I do not feel alienated, aggrieved or irritated by your posts - when I read them.

I would counsel you against being overly suspicious. however. Such a view can be common, particularly on my own occupation, where one sees more of the worst in some folk.

Fear not for my soul - I feel it incumbent on myself both professionally and domestically to remain vigilant and encourage others to do likewise.

I enjoy Sherlock's posts as much as the next person

...considerably more, if the next person happens to be me :lol:

Veliau, mano draugas!

Voila :roll: