Johnsmas Foy 2009

obinem

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Shetland really not have any other heritage than it's Viking heritage? If Johnsmas is a Hanseatic festival there is surely an oppurtunity to explore other links..... German? Baltic? If there is to be an ongoing fixation on the past at least explore the richness of that past?

If Johnsmas is a Hanseatic festival there is surely an oppurtunity to explore other links..... German? Baltic? If there is to be an ongoing fixation on the past at least explore the richness of that past?

Indeed so, but if you had done some minimal research you would have discovered that for last year's event:

Johnsmas Foy 2008[/url]"]The theme for the year was Shetland’s historic connection with the ports of the Hanseatic League, a partnership that dominated trade in the islands for more than 300 years from around 1400.

Going by previous years the Johnsmass foy is for locals and visitors to enjoy, but the visitors are already here on their yachts and whatever means to get here. The beer tent on the pier was stappet full every night with locals, so who needs any more folk.

• 1 month later...

Why the 21st? Most of Europe celebrates midsummer, or JoninÄ—s as it is known in Lithuania, on the 24th which comes from the old Julian calendar. I was driving through Vilnius today and, bearing in mind it's a capital city, it reminded me of the Wednesday after Up Helly Aa in Lerwick.

• 1 month later...
Does Shetland really not have any other heritage than it's Viking heritage? If Johnsmas is a Hanseatic festival there is surely an oppurtunity to explore other links..... German? Baltic? If there is to be an ongoing fixation on the past at least explore the richness of that past?

Just a question, but I for one at this juncture in time would like to be able to comprehend any documentation associated with Shetland's Hanseatic connection. Should Shetlinkers be able to point me in the right direction and or anything be available "online" or other more the better. There are many papers available, but many you have to actually travel to Germany to have them copied or just to read them...

PM and or post here with any and or everything ... :D thank you!

Just a question, but I for one at this juncture in time would like to be able to comprehend any documentation associated with Shetland's Hanseatic connection. Should Shetlinkers be able to point me in the right direction and or anything be available "online" or other more the better. There are many papers available, but many you have to actually travel to Germany to have them copied or just to read them...

PM and or post here with any and or everything ... :D thank you!

There were two papers given at the Hanseatic-themed Johnsmas Foy last year, one dealing with the German aspect of the Hanseatic trade and the other dealing with the Norwegian connection (Bergen in particular having been a major Hanseatic port). I don't know whether there are copies available, but I'll ask around.

• 2 weeks later...