Problems Logging in

Ah, it is not just me then! No, it ain't cookies and it happens regardless of whether I use the hardwired ADSL modem or the wireless modem (which I hate. Now normally I would blame a Windows update but I haven't had one of those lately either.

It is only happening on this site for me.

So pleased (if you know what I mean) that I am not alone - but come on Mods - can't you investigate at your end please? I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, several hours later I'm still here with everything working perfectly, so I presume something somewhere got tweaked the right way by someone, as I didn't do a thing.

Appreciated, whoever and whatever it was, thanks.

The downside to all this of course is, that unless whatever got tweaked gets untweaked again, the peace and serenity on the site that Shetlinkers have become accustomed to over the last five days due to my absence is at an end. :wink: :lol:

Well, several hours later I'm still here with everything working perfectly, so I presume something somewhere got tweaked the right way by someone, as I didn't do a thing.

Appreciated, whoever and whatever it was, thanks.

The downside to all this of course is, that unless whatever got tweaked gets untweaked again, the peace and serenity on the site that Shetlinkers have become accustomed to over the last five days due to my absence is at an end. :wink: :lol:

I had to disconnect and reconnect 3 times last night and I'm experiencing the 4 clicks and you freeze problem. It was so bad I even dreamt of it ...

... however, on one site last year, I remember a similar problem occurring where pages wouldn't load. It transpired that one of their ad banners (namely one for ebay) had been written in a new version of a code (beta?). It affected everyone who was on IE6 but those on IE7 were okay. A swift edit of the advert code and hey presto, everything was back to normal.

Please fix the Shetlink problem, you lovely volunteers!

It would be fine if the mods could admit when there is a problem, instead of going into an aggressive, defensive mode.

"There is nothing wrong with Shetlink, it's your computer or your cookies". :lol:

Sorry, I know I shouldn't have said that,, I've already slapped my own wrists, several times.. :wink:

:roll: This will generally be the route of most folks problems. If that can be cleared up first then we know where to look next.

i couldnt get on at erm cough work cough all last week but at home it has been fine. started to think the IT dept had been up to soemthing

It is understood that the SIC IP range was dropped into our hosts firewall last week. Thus anyone trying to connect from the SIC were effectively blocked.

... however, on one site last year, I remember a similar problem occurring where pages wouldn't load. It transpired that one of their ad banners (namely one for ebay) had been written in a new version of a code (beta?). It affected everyone who was on IE6 but those on IE7 were okay. A swift edit of the advert code and hey presto, everything was back to normal.

There appears to be an issue with some of the banners and this has been pointed out to the one who deals with them. Some of the banners will hang the page rendering - and take sooo long to render that it effectively blocks users from the site.

If people are experiencing issues - please can you give as much detail as possible to help rectify the problem. Detail what part of the site - homepage, classifieds, forum, etc.. you are trying to load, if you are logged in, if you were logged in but were logged out again, etc. etc. did the page half load - did you just get a blank page - were there any error messages etc. etc.

[ It was so bad I even dreamt of it ...

^ Good grief you lovely moderator - you ain't telling me that my dream came true and that I was right, are you!!!!

<<< keels over with the shock that my dreams are coming true again ...

[ It was so bad I even dreamt of it ...

^ Good grief you lovely moderator - you ain't telling me that my dream came true and that I was right, are you!!!!

<<< keels over with the shock that my dreams are coming true again ...

If you are having dreams about Shetlink. Then you really will have to let go of the mouse and get out more :shock: Try going to the pub and grip a pint glass for a change

O! And no problems logging on here

Ahem!....Don't curse, but yes, I'm here again.

Whatever was keeping me locked out of the site between Tuesday afternoon of last week and late Sunday night has returned again today, since late afternoon its been exactly the same.

Come here fine, click a few buttons and all goes good for anything up to ten clicks, then all of a sudden none will work at all. Doesn't matter where on the site I am, nothing clickable that allows me to navigate around the site will work. The page I have up just stays on the screen as it was, and the computer tries to load until it gets fed up and gives error messages. Only cure found so far is to disconnect from the internet and call up a fresh one, same as last time. Needless to say, its not fun surfing though.

The adverts, as previously mentioned, while a bit slow to render for some of the pages, are all rendering properly when given time on the pages I can get to load otherwise. They were a lot worse yesterday though (the banner across the bottom of the page often took up to a minute to render fully), but otherwise navigation was normal if you gave them the time they needed to fully render, so it wouldn't appear, on the face of it at least, they're really the main issue.

ARRGHHHHH ...

It has been fine for a few days and then WHOOSH! (okay, not WHOOSH but "The page cannot be displayed") strikes again.

The culprit appeared to be the ad for the Honda Civic 1.5L or rather when I tried to go back to the previous page. It just didn't want to know.

There you go Ghostbuster - I'm being neighbourly already so you're not the only one!

I seem to be being rationed to Mondays and Tuesdays only. :lol:

Two weeks now something has gone awry on Tuesday night/Wednesday that's locked me out, then everything is okay again on the Sunday night.

To be fair though, some of the Ads that have been appearing on Shetlink of late (admt.something) or something like that, have been cranky on other sites making them difficult to navigate as well, just nothing as severe as Shetlink is being affected. Elsewhere usually a refresh or back up one page and come in again clears the block.