Check your 20p coins !!!

daveh

Dont you remember when there was a big thing when the new £2 coins came out??

Some rubbish about the queen wearing a necklet was worth £15!

"An Urban Myth

During 1999, we became aware of a persistent rumour that a two pound coin with the queen wearing a necklet was worth £15. There is no truth in this rumour. It is the sort of story which appears to start for no particular reason, and then self-perpetuates in a form of "Chinese whispers", so that it becomes part of an urban folklore of misinformation"

I might be wrong but i think its a way of keeping our spirits up in hard times! £50 raid the piggy bank.....

...or....

....is the banks short of 20pence pieces??

anyway who cares

SUCKERS

First to get £50 tell us all! sure we would like to hear about it!

:lol:

According to this BBC story

A batch of 20p coins accidentally issued with no date on them could be worth £50 each, say coin collectors.

Tens of thousands of the coins have been produced in error by the Royal Mint at Llantrisant, near Cardiff.

They are said to be the first undated British coins to enter circulation for more than 300 years.

The Royal Mint said the issue had been resolved but wanted to reassure the public that the faulty 20p coins were still legal tender.

But with experts saying the coins could be worth up to £50 each, anyone finding an undated 20p may be reluctant to put it towards a loaf of bread.

The date on the new 20p was moved from the 'tails' to the 'heads' side when the country's coins were redesigned last year.

The coins without a date were created by accidentally pairing up the new 'tails' side with the old 'heads' - meaning no date appeared at all.

The London Mint is indeed offering £50 for the first 10,000 coins registered with them.

Apparently one coin sold for over £7000 pounds on ebay on Tuesday!

I had a quick squint at ebay after reading that and there are 30 pages of 50 items a page selling these "rare" coins! Some took my attention when I noticed that it was the old Queens head on them, and it turns out, the 'honest' sellers were advertising them as 'no date on the heads side - No idea what these are worth'. Well, the old coins never had the date on the 'heads' side. It was on the 'tails' side. Because of the new pattern, the new coins should have the date on the 'heads' side, but that seems to where the mistake has got through.

Seems there are plenty of suckers out there by the amount of bids they are getting. Oh and if my brain is still functioning at this late hour, if there were 50 000 released in a population of 50 000 000 or so, that gives you a 0.1% chance of owning one.

^^ In a word, "No". Considering one of the sold for £1 Million "But it Now"s was for a standard, normal, well used 2001 dated 20p, and the seller repeatedly rubbed it in that he was just listing it as a joke.

An expensive joke for him though, as I would not imagine the buyer has any intentions of paying, and he'll be charged somewhere around £50,000 in selling fees.