Voices Film Project (Offending in Shetland)

VoicesProject

Feel free to use anything I've written if you feel like it, I've not written anything here I wouldn't say to pretty much anyone's face.

I appreciate your project is looking at crime in Shetland only, but when it comes to the causes of crime, and reoffending, I tend to think Shetland is affected by a problem than is national, probably international.

Sentences need to be a realistic and effective deterrent, currently they're not for everyone, and in fact never have been. Jail time used to be harsh, hard labour and basic conditions, and either the thought of it, or experiencing it once was enough to ensure its effectiveness for many though fear. It failed people with mental or other issues though, who were in greater need of support and assistance to overcome the problems which overwhelmed and controlled them.

In more recent supposedly "enlightened" times the emphasis has shifted to rehabilitation and education, which is fine, it catches, or at least hopefully catches many of those who need support and assistance, but has turned the whole jail thing in to a cakewalk for those who benefitted from fearing the experience of being there.

Its now at least 20 years ago since I overheard one old guy (now deceased), fresh out of jail for at least the second time, say to his buddy "Oh, it was a fine peerie holiday, nothing to do, and the chance to catch up with some old friends". On hearing that I pretty much knew jails no longer served any real useful purpose.

Some folk only understand when the stick is used, others can only understand when the carrot is used, the system needs a bit of both. The older system was 100% stick and no carrot, the current one is all carrot and no stick, which has simply traded one imperfect system for its equally imperfect mirror opposite.

Where work needs to be done is in the field of identifying the folk who simply just need the living s*** scared right out of them before they start taking responsibility for themselves and their behaviour, and those who need support and assistance as they are in a place where they cannot fully take responsibility for their behaviour all of the time, and will sooner or later end up doing something illegal. *If* an effective system to identify which or which could be created, far more effective and deterring sentences could be handed down. The stick and carrot need to be used in parallel.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you all the success at VP with your film and read your post with interest. I was, however, disappointed to note that although those group members stated that the main reason for not re-offending was the effect on family members and it was good to see that this has been given some thought, you haven't mentioned whether any of your group members have considered the effects on the victims of their crimes, if applicable?

Thanks for these comments. We have spoken about this and one member wanted to post their story.

As a member in Voices who is an ex-offender I do think about the effects on my victim. I also have to live with what I did to that person for the rest of my life. Also I know the victim has to live with it too and I think about that a lot and how it has effected them. I had to tell my five and six year old kids I was going to prison. The look on my kids faces broke my heart and I decided then that it was time to stop getting into trouble but it has taken ten years for me with people and police harrassing me to finally get my life together after prison. Whenever I went out people would try and get me into fights or wanted to fight me. All my trouble was due to drinking and fighting. The police would pull me over at every oppurtunity to give me a hard time or provoke me into a reaction so I would get arrested. I have found it hard over the last ten years but have prevailed and am now a different person to who I was before (albeit I still have a criminal record). I still get my past brought up from time to time if people can't give me a chance to put my past behind me after ten years out of trouble then there is no hope for me as an individual. The effects still go for me and presumably the victim.

I wish you all the success at VP with your film and read your post with interest. I was, however, disappointed to note that although those group members stated that the main reason for not re-offending was the effect on family members and it was good to see that this has been given some thought, you haven't mentioned whether any of your group members have considered the effects on the victims of their crimes, if applicable?

Thanks for these comments. We have spoken about this and one member wanted to post their story.

As a member in Voices who is an ex-offender I do think about the effects on my victim. I also have to live with what I did to that person for the rest of my life. Also I know the victim has to live with it too and I think about that a lot and how it has effected them. I had to tell my five and six year old kids I was going to prison. The look on my kids faces broke my heart and I decided then that it was time to stop getting into trouble but it has taken ten years for me with people and police harrassing me to finally get my life together after prison. Whenever I went out people would try and get me into fights or wanted to fight me. All my trouble was due to drinking and fighting. The police would pull me over at every oppurtunity to give me a hard time or provoke me into a reaction so I would get arrested. I have found it hard over the last ten years but have prevailed and am now a different person to who I was before (albeit I still have a criminal record). I still get my past brought up from time to time if people can't give me a chance to put my past behind me after ten years out of trouble then there is no hope for me as an individual. The effects still go for me and presumably the victim.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your situation. I know from working for both the BTP and a firm of solicitors dealing with prison law/complaints against the police, not to mention my own path through life (knowing ex-offenders and so forth and being the victim of crime), that things aren't always easy and as they may appear on the surface to people who just see the newspaper headlines, etc., so to speak.

You can't turn back the clock as well you know - be great if we all could at times, wouldn't it? You've served your time and by the sounds of it, have learnt from your mistakes. What is important is your future and I wish you good luck.

^^ There's a single post from a contributer somewhere in Shetlink around the very thing you're looking for. It was quite a detailed posting about their experience in regards to drugs and I believe rehabilitation!?! in Shetland.

I'll see if I can find that or if anyone else can remember where it was?

• 1 month later...

Voices Project would like to thank everyone who took part in our forum.It was interesting to read all the posts from the people who took time to express their views on the subject and we appreciate all the information given.We are having the launch of our film at the Shetland Museum on Thursday 29th of October at 6pm doors open from 5.30pm.All of us at Voices Project would like to invite you to the launch of our film if you wish to attend.The tickets are free for the launch but it would be advisable to pre-book the tickets from the Shetland Museum before the event on Lerwick 01595-695057.