Airport Security

Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the security staff at Sumburgh heavy handed in their seaches?

• yes
    • no

I must admit I'd never realised that lighters weren't allowed in hold baggage until very recently. I nearly alway carry a spare lighter in my suitcase.

Sumburgh is the only place i've been asked to put it in my trouser pocket, and always after i'd taken it out of my trouser pocket in the first place to put it through the x-ray.

Still wondering why they dont have to go in the 'liquids' bag though.

Anyhow, I really didn't mean to write a whole chapter about lighters. As long as they allow me to take one on the plane I'll be happy.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrorists are always looking for a weak link, it is clear that Sumbrugh is not one, thanks to the security.

Last time I flew out of sumburgh the security guy at the gate told me to hand over a Lipsil.

I asked him why, because I had just bought it in the airport shop and he said because someone tried to blow up an aircraft with liquid carried onboard.

Then I asked him what he was going to do with it once I had handed it over, his answer was to lift up a big tuppaware box full of bottles and make up and stuff and exclaim "this is just today's haul!" while giving the box a great big shake for emphasis.

I thought about asking him whether it was a good idea to be violently shaking potential explosives but I just smiled at him and got on with my day.

• 2 weeks later...
But my partner is asked to move it from jacket pocket to trouser pocket - and only at Sumburgh.

thats was quite good of the guard to give that piece of advice, as the jacket might have been placed in the overhead locker, advertently causing your partner to put a plane load of passengers at risk. Hopefully your partners trousers would be remaining on!?? :o

Guest Anonymous

if a lighter ignites in your baggage

using the same logic, (if thats what it actually is), we must immediately ban humans from the plane too cos theres the same odds one of them will have spontaneous combustion. what a lot of sihte people speak these days

• 3 months later...

I recently flew from Aberdeen to Sumburgh with carry on baggage that fitted into the overhead locker with no problem. On my return flight the Woman at the Check-in desk refused to accept my small case - which was well within the airport check in dimensions - and tried to insist I checked it in. When I made a fuss it was changed to being 'checked' in at the aircraft door and collected at the other end. I was annoyed to have been made to feel as if I had 'broken' the rules, when I had done nothing of the sort.

I wonder how many people end up payng the £30+ extra charge to check in perfectly 'legal' baggage, I gather from talking to other people that tis woman is renowned for her harsh treatment of passengers. Is she on some sort of bonus scheme??

(*** Mod - edited for T&Cs ***)

watch what you say, I believe the naming is against Ts&cs. The lady in question is also a member of this forum.

£30??? when did it go up? it's always been £10 not that I've had to pay it often, it's amazing how much xmas shopping fits in the baggage allowance.

Remember that the hand baggage allowance is different on shetland flights to other domestic flights and sumburgh is stricter to the rules than any where else.

Sumburgh is stricter to the rules than any where else.

It’s twenty years past in April since I flew up from Aberdeen for the weekend so that the family could be together on the anniversary of my mother’s death. At that time the only south plane on a Sunday left at lunchtime, so I would get the first flight on Monday and just about make it to Dundee in time for work if the road was clear.

Unfortunately, having been met on arrival by a cousin, I had seriously underestimated how long my elderly uncle would take to make the return journey to Sumburgh from Lerwick. I didn’t have the nerve to say ‘For goodness’ sake let me drive’, so we arrived at the desk five minutes after the appointed time. I could see the plane on the tarmac through the door behind the check-in woman. I had a 1½-year-old child, a pushchair and a carry-on case. There was a good half hour to go before the plane was going anywhere. Would she let me on it? Would she hell. I have never forgotten her sneering face as she heard me explain the circumstances, and my son started to howl at her triumphantly dismissive tone. I have only twice flown up in the two intervening decades and that was to bury said uncle and then his wife. Not good memories of Sumburgh – long before anyone had invented airport security.

I recently flew from Aberdeen to Sumburgh with carry on baggage that fitted into the overhead locker with no problem. On my return flight the Woman at the Check-in desk refused to accept my small case - which was well within the airport check in dimensions - and tried to insist I checked it in. When I made a fuss it was changed to being 'checked' in at the aircraft door and collected at the other end. I was annoyed to have been made to feel as if I had 'broken' the rules, when I had done nothing of the sort.

I wonder how many people end up payng the £30+ extra charge to check in perfectly 'legal' baggage, I gather from talking to other people that tis woman is renowned for her harsh treatment of passengers. Is she on some sort of bonus scheme??

(*** Mod - edited for T&Cs ***)

Perhaps a reminder of Loganair Terms would help?

In addition to the free checked baggage allowance, you may carry personal items as cabin baggage. However, to ensure the safety and comfort for everyone on board, Loganair restricts the carry-on cabin baggage to one piece per passenger. The cabin baggage must be labelled at check-in, weigh under 6 kilos, and not exceed dimensions of 17" x 11" x 9" (45cm x 30cm x 23cm) i.e. to fit in an overhead bin or under your seat. On certain flights it may be necessary to put cabin baggage in the hold, and it will be returned to you at the bottom of the steps on arrival.

I wonder how many people come in to your work place each day, and even though they have never done your job, tell you they can do it better, know the rules better than you, make a "fuss" about you doing your job properly and make YOU feel like you are something they have stepped in?

How would YOU feel? Just because we work in the public sector does not give you the right to tell us how to do our jobs, or treat us like second class citizens.

I see people like you every day in my workplace (even tho not in Shetland anymore, I do work in an Airport) and it is you who make our lives a complete misery. No, I am not the person you were referring to, but I feel for her if she has to put up with people like you day in day out, and put up with sh*te for doing their job properly

Treat people the way you would wish to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Hi

I have a couple of questions and hoped here was the right place to come.

I'm taking the kiddos away in october, the youngest will be 4 months then. I just wondered how far you were allowed to take the car seat/buggy before its taken off you. Also does anyone keyn if the bottles have to be made up or can i have the powder and water seperate until needed. And finally, does baby need passport for i.d, cant seem to find any definite answers online.

thank u!

As on Northlink, children under 16 do not need ID as long as they are accompanied by an adult who has photo id and can vouch for them.

You cannot take liquids in a container capable of taking more than 100ml.

they have hot water on the plane as well.

You can take an empty bottle though and fill it up with water at the fountain inside the departure lounge.

You can check-in your buggy, get it tagged and then take your buggy etc. with baby, to the bottom of the plane steps where a nice boy will take and put it in the hold for you. minus baby!

ive just travelled with a baby and had a full 8 oz bottle made up with powdered milk in it. they made us taste it but there were no issues. they offered us the buggy to the plane and had it ready for us coming down the steps too. the kids dont need id so long as they are under 16 and accompanied by an adult and remember you are entitled to a buggy and car seat PER child.