Which Vet?

My brother was charged nearly £1000 to amputate his cat's front leg. :shock:

OMG :shock: you could rescue a cat with 4 legs and feed it for life for that kind or money....

Sorry. It's the hard line crofter in me. I would never consider spending that kind of money on an animal. An animal is only worth its wieght in meat to me. :twisted: That's not to say I that I don't care about my animals because I really do, it's just that's where i have to draw the line.

have to agree there, £1000 to take a cat's leg off is taking the pee. I cannot think how the bill got to be that much. There comes a time where first loss is best loss.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have registered my cat and dog both with Westside Vets but I always phone Lerwick Vets first when I have a problem with any of them or my pony, sheep or chickens. This is not through any bias, I do find the Westside Vet (Jim) is better for hoof trimming though by comparing work on a neighbours ponies.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

At the age of 16 my cat Junior developed a hyperactive thyroid - I can't praise Jim and his colleagues at the Lerwick vets enough for the care and attention they gave to him, which I believe extended and maintained his quality of life.

Unfortunately, two years later, at the age of 18, Junior became very ill, due to growths in his liver and bowel.

Although I knew the decision that I had to make - it wasn't easy - the vet I saw explained the whole euthanasia process with a great deal of consideration for my feelings and for Junior's comfort - not an easy thing for the poor vet as I cried the entire time she spoke to me. A dreadful time made a little less hideous by the care she showed.

I now have 2 new cats allowing me to share their lives. Again, Jim and his vets are providing excellent care for my boys.

I'm saddened by recent events reported in the Shetland Times - I hope that somehow, the Lerwick Vets will be able to continue and my boys Magnus and Ragnar (I was told that I'd got them just after Up-Helly-Aa and was going through the whole Norse thing when I named them!), will benefit from the same care and attention that Junior enjoyed.

I'd just like to say thank you to Jim and to everybody who works at the Lerwick vets - thank you.

The same happened to me. Our cat just needed hie yearly injection. Its such a shame that the Lerwick Vets are closed. Hope we do get a Vets in Lerwick as it will be difficult for those in town without transport with animals. Taxis expensive.

Westside Vet good.

Does everyone give their cat the Leukemia Injection? I am unsure of this one as not very sure of how many incidences there are in Shetland. Is it worth it?

The same happened to me. Our cat just needed hie yearly injection. Its such a shame that the Lerwick Vets are closed. Hope we do get a Vets in Lerwick as it will be difficult for those in town without transport with animals. Taxis expensive. ...

Not being funny, but that means that those in Lerwick are now in the same position as those who live outside Lerwick without transport! (And not just for vets) Many taxis will not take pets. Perhaps it is time for the public transport providers to review their policy on not allowing dogs onboard buses?

Anyone know what happens to their pets records when a vet closes down ?

I think they get transferred to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. I haven't read the newspaper report but somebody said the Lerwick practice had gone bankrupt. If this is true, it may well be that the Administrator/Trustee/Liquidator appointed (Or whatever they are called under the Scottish system) has them. They may well be seeking a buyer for the business.

A call to the practice or the RCVS should put you in the picture.