Simon King's Shetland Diaries

Mattie

Great programme all round last night. Enjoyed it much more than the second one. Cliff jumping music was a tad overly, but for an all age group, wide demographic docu-diary-drama it was likely appropriate enough. :wink:

Took a bit of figuring with this series that it was not a wildlife documentary as such and as much about the man as his chosen subject.

Last one was a great ad for Shetland and from what I hear the response/enquiries from potential visitors started immediately. :thmbsup

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good plug for Last Ditchology on last night's episode, mending his £30,000 camera with a bit Brian found in the store.

I must admit I shared Mr Kings cringe when his camera was opened by a huge screwdriver! Nevertheless, score one for the recyclers and hoarders! Hopefully more folk will ask them to try to fix an item rather then skipping it.

I agree it was an excellent follow up to the second programme. It did put a longing for the summer on me....

Also, In the 10 years I've been coming to Shetland and the 5 and a half I have lived here I have spent what time I could looking to see the Orca's and nevr once have, so I have to admit I am sorta vexed when some folk are here 10 minutes and manage to see them :lol:

Great programme all round last night. Enjoyed it much more than the second one.

I agree that the third was best and much lower on the cringe-ometer.

I did find one incident extremely surprising. This was the section where the family wander across Noss. As I've said before I am no bird expert. However, I do know the score when it comes to being anywhere near bonxie nesting sites, which Noss very much is. Standard procedure now is not to cross, but in the past it was to equip oneself with a bonxie stick. Holding this up reduces the ability of the diving birds to hit your head (same as with a barrage ballon). Even with bonxie sticks people can be hit (one got me once). Without them impact is very likely and open wounds were not infrequent.

So, what does Mr King do? He uses his child as a human bonxie stick, and while doing so proceeds to explain that he is being dived on (though admittedly not by a bonxie). Amazing.

• 2 months later...