Thinking of moving to shetland

Amber

Hi, Just wanted advise.Was thinking of moving to Shetland as a good job has been advertised (although i suppose i may not get it). I am 27 and still stay with the family, think i should move on but total wimp. fancy it there because like the quiet life and a good drink or too. Would a single lassie fit in or would it be difficult? Any advise appreciated because half of me just wants to move there but the other half is terrified it it the wrong thing to do and should stay near the family. Thanks x :)

ask yourself why you reallywant to come. if its for positive reasons you should be ok. but if your running away from something then its very likely that you will have the same problems. your a long way from family and shetland can be lonely if you don't mix. just make sure the job is permant its a long way to travel if its not and very expensive.

Thanks, don't think I am running away from anything was just looking for a change and hopefully meet some new people on the way. The job is permanent which is good. Although you are saying it is expensive is a worry because money will be tight probably for the first year. Also i am shy which could prove difficult to fit in. i wish i could make up my mind being thinking about it for the last two days. One minute sure i want to do it and the next not. Think if i had someone with me would be a lot easier. thanks very much though aprreciate the comment. :)

Shetland folk are the friendliest around I've found( despite what you might read in some of the threads here , im sure most of that is tongue in cheek). As for you being shy I think thats actually more likely to be appreciated because seems to me ( I bet I get slammed for this ) Shetland folk are quite reserved people and shyness will be a nicer quality than someone a bit too cocksure of themselves. Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and if you end up here I'm sure you'll love it.

if its council or nhs they will help with the costs. they will also pay for the interview trip and accomidation.

On condition the advert says so. A number of council jobs recently have stated clearly that they have no relocation package and expenses are only payable within Shetland. So Amber, read the advert carefully.

In any event, best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

A.S.L?

only kidding, shetland is a great place no matter what your personality is, if you want to be quiet and get on with your own life you can do, if you want to be boystrous in an amusing way you can do.

Despite how somethings may read in some threads posted here you really can make life how you want it up here, some choices are harder but I dont think that is any different from anywhere else.

Was thinking of moving to Shetland as a good job has been advertised. I am 27 Would a single lassie fit in

Back to detective school for you Mr Twerto :lol:

And for Amber - if you've got somewhere to go back to, you've nothing to lose by coming here and giving it a go. Better to regret the things you have done than those you haven't. At least that's what I tried to tell the judge...

• 1 year later...
I just met a guy at an Irish pub way out here in Indiana and he's been trying to convince me to move out to Scotland with him when her returns home. Am I nuts? He's hot and awesome, but we don't know if I need a Visa/job first? Should I just move there and worry about the details later? AAAHH!!

You will need a visa: my South African sister-in-law needed a visa to visit the UK last year, and she's married to a UK citizen.

(I'm assuming that you are a US citizen, BTW.)

I just met a guy at an Irish pub way out here in Indiana and he's been trying to convince me to move out to Scotland with him when her returns home. Am I nuts? He's hot and awesome, but we don't know if I need a Visa/job first? Does anyone happen to know of any movers charlotte to help get me there? Should I just move there and worry about the details later? AAAHH!!

Turns out I am going to move there! He's offering to let me 'figure things out' while he supports us! Hallelujah! Thanks for the feedback everyone!