Posers

Guest Raven007

The most memorable moment I can remember from posers is when I noticed they had the same lampshades as my granny used to have.

It's a shame so many youngsters in shetland are caught up in the illusion it actually is a nightclub. It's really a poor mans Herra Hall with an expensive bar. Actually, I feel guilty for mentioning it in the same sentence as the Herra Hall!

Seriously though - at least 95% of the appeal is that it is often (or was, been a long time since I was out in the toon!) the only place open after 1am. You never saw anybody queing to get in at 11 :lol:

There is definitely a gap in the market - maybe when Mareel opens the bigger name DJ's will have somewhere more appealing to come to?

There is definitely a gap in the market - maybe when Mareel opens the bigger name DJ's will have somewhere more appealing to come to?

as much as i would love there a new place for bands and dj's to play i seriously doubt mareel is going to do it as i doubt they are wanting lots of drunken adolescents to be wandering around there. it will be just for traditional shetland music and the like :cry:

Well it seems to be full every Fri and Sat night and the 2am license is probably why but people have been complaining about how crap Posers has been for years.

You can't blame Hepburn for having a crap nightclub when he's making a pretty penny out of it, why should he change something that works?

Whats the reason that places like Baroc, Klub Revolution, Jubilee etc havn't outlasted Posers?

At least it's there and if it wasn't people would still be complaining!!

as much as i would love there a new place for bands and dj's to play i seriously doubt mareel is going to do it as i doubt they are wanting lots of drunken adolescents to be wandering around there. it will be just for traditional shetland music and the like :cry:

I agree with that. I can't see the latest flagship building wanting to promote a lot of drunk youngsters wandering around there spewing their ringer up over their new building.

I was one of those youngsters so I'm not trying to offend anyone there by the way! :D but someone asked me the other day if Mareel would be used as a 'nightclub' but for the exact reasons you say that's not going to happen.

Cheers

Mareel, among other things, is a music venue. That means all music, and if whats on doesn't suit your tastes, organise something yourself :)

Well it seems to be full every Fri and Sat night and the 2am license is probably why but people have been complaining about how crap Posers has been for years.

You can't blame Hepburn for having a crap nightclub when he's making a pretty penny out of it, why should he change something that works?

Whats the reason that places like Baroc, Klub Revolution, Jubilee etc havn't outlasted Posers?

At least it's there and if it wasn't people would still be complaining!!

Very true. I can only assume its location and the habitual nature of the drunken reveller are prime reasons :D

To be fair, when I was frequenting it, the music was good, and I guess if you had never been in a more modern club sooth you would never know what you were missing. Also to be fair, in that space, there isn't much more they could do with it.

where did you hear this at? maybe saying regular meaning annualy sounds more applicable
I'm the music development officer at Shetland Arts, and part of Mareel's programming group

Club nights will be at least monthly, and Mareel is available for hire for promoters to put their own nights on too

The reason jubilee didnt outlast posers was it is owned by the shetland times and they decided to move thier operation out there, so the promotors had no option to close down, The sadest day in the life of night clubs in shetland IMO. Even the clubs I have been in south havei never had a friendlyier atmosphere than the jubilee. The promotor then tried to get planning permision for a night club at the old ice factory, but was declined due ( imo ) to the owner of streamline not doing what he should be doing in the first place and secrueing up his hazzardous materials and a bit like the town center association ended up ganging up on the promotor

with a "I dont mind you having your club that i will frequent every weekend but jsust not on my land" kinda thing.

IMO Somewhere else failed and Barok Failed due to only catering for one kinda punter in the end. Somehwere else fell foul of the urg i cant be arsed to walk out there and various other rumours which i found to be unwarrented, Roumor also has it barok failed due to some of its bouncers being to agressive but they had a chance to deliver something new when they reopened it in october last year, but sadly they brought up the same kinda DJ's as before ( yes Alan i understand why that happened ;) ) I still think Barok could seriously challenge posers if the owner was willing to do a bit of work to create the right atmosphere but again it does boil down to getting punters through the door and like everything in Shetland when you get tarred with a particualr image it is very hard to get rid of that image no matter what you do.

Posers Sadly will always have the upper hand on anywhere else that opens, mainly due to location, who when they are drunk wants to walk 200m off thier usual drunken swaggering route?

I do severly hope that Mareel does work out as an alternative venue even if it is just once a month as a decent club but it is up to all these people that hate/moan about posers to ensure it does take off and give it support.

where did you hear this at? maybe saying regular meaning annualy sounds more applicable
I'm the music development officer at Shetland Arts, and part of Mareel's programming group

Club nights will be at least monthly, and Mareel is available for hire for promoters to put their own nights on too

thats pretty good to hear, but i just cannot imagine people of mareel will ever want drunk adolescents to be wandering around and to be promoting a place where drugs will be taken on a regular basis. i will believe it when i see it :?