Yell & Fetlar Broadband upgrade

stilldellin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 4 - 4.5 miles from my exchange.

I'm 3 miles from mine and get a variable service between 1.8 to 3 Mbps. The reliability at the faster end is poor due to the crappy lines installed back when Noah connected his ark to BT, but I typically get a stable 2Mbps feed which is (I'm told) not bad. Looking at how RADSL (Rate Adaptive ADSL) works I'm not sure you'll get a lot more than 1Mbps on good lines let alone the yoghurt pots and string used up here.

The saga continues :( :( Contacted BT this evening and spoke to a guy in Dundee who gave me the following details. Even though I upgraded my Broadband package on Friday 16th July it could take up to next Friday 23rd July to become active. When will it ever end :roll: :roll:

TeeAyBee wrote :-

I'm 3 miles from mine and get a variable service between 1.8 to 3 Mbps. The reliability at the faster end is poor due to the crappy lines installed back when Noah connected his ark to BT, but I typically get a stable 2Mbps feed which is (I'm told) not bad. Looking at how RADSL (Rate Adaptive ADSL) works I'm not sure you'll get a lot more than 1Mbps on good lines let alone the yoghurt pots and string used up here.

Not sure about this yogurt pot business but I'm 5.7 miles from the exchange and get a fairly consistant 1863Kbps download speed. A lot of the problems can be caused by crap equipment, faulty internal cabling and knackered sky boxes. Also the older the underground cable the better as heavier conductors were used in " Noah's " days.

Exchanges Burravoe, Fetlar and Gutcher broadband speeds now up to 8meg. Has anybody noticed an increase in speed from there existing half meg download speed ?

The upgrade is 'new' equipment in the exchange. In other exchanges that have had this done, existing customers are left connected to the 'old' equipment. Nothing happens unless those customers ask their ISP to have them moved to the new equipment. This involves physical wire shifting in the exchange, and this will cost the ISP money. Some ISPs may expect you to start a new eternal contract for this upgrade. Others will tell you that you are already on their fastest speed line. Whist others will of course ask you to check your filters and wait 24 (hours / days /years) for something to magically happen.

something you might like to consider...

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html

Deffo helped my connection, and those I've recommended it to have also been pleased with it.

It's included as standard on new line installations (the split master socket with Openreach logo).

If you have a line running across your master socket, without the Openreach logo, you can fit this. It improves line qualtity even if you don't have extension wiring.

If you have an old box with a hole in the middle and no line across, you'll have to pay for a new master socket instead, from BT.

It's only a few pounds, definitely worth giving it a go.

something you might like to consider...

If you have a line running across your master socket, without the Openreach logo, you can fit this. It improves line qualtity even if you don't have extension wiring. ....

Well, its only purpose is to filter the extension wiring, so if you don't have any it won't make any difference at all.

If you do have extention wiring a cheaper option, and even better, is to remove the 'bell wire', on a correctly wired facepalte this is on terminal 3.

ST report " up to 8mbps by 15th July " . Well well, here we are more than a week on and it seems no one on these 3 exchanges getting more than half a meg !.

I thought this was what was putting a stranglehold on business opportunities in the North Isles and had been the " main " issue at the public meeting. Now nobody seems interested !

Just got back from Cullivoe Post Office......

It appears, that their ADSL doesnt work properly now since the Exchange upgrade....It took my wife 15 minutes to send a recorded delivery item, as the PO online speeds are worse than ever.

And Frank J recieved a phone call 9am, to tell him he now has the 8mb service...

NOT!!!

He's still on 512k.

Has anybody got the new service???

PLEASE let us know.

ST report " up to 8mbps by 15th July " . Well well, here we are more than a week on and it seems no one on these 3 exchanges getting more than half a meg !.

I thought this was what was putting a stranglehold on business opportunities in the North Isles and had been the " main " issue at the public meeting. Now nobody seems interested !

The solution is with the ISP. Unfortunately, this situation is a very rare event and there will only be handful of folk in the larger ISPS's that know anything about it. First line, second line, third line support, you will need to get well up the chain.

Perhaps time to consider a locally based ISP?

Promised my Broadband upgrade today but not surprisingly it has not happened :x :x Rang BT Technical help at 1530. They checked my line and said that it has been upgraded to 6meg but it can take from 1-10 days before you receive the maximum speed as BT engineers have to carry out certain tests on the line. I have been advised not to disconnect my Hub for the next few days as the continuing switching on/off will give false readings and therefore lower speeds. Fed up :roll: :roll:

Promised my Broadband upgrade today but not surprisingly it has not happened :x :x Rang BT Technical help at 1530. They checked my line and said that it has been upgraded to 6meg but it can take from 1-10 days before you receive the maximum speed as BT engineers have to carry out certain tests on the line. I have been advised not to disconnect my Hub for the next few days as the continuing switching on/off will give false readings and therefore lower speeds. Fed up :roll: :roll:

No such service available on that exchange.

It will be 'up to 8 Mbps'. Moden at your end and the exchange will haggle the best deal for line condition at the time of connection. If the line is set to fixed 512 kps, it will stay that way until someone does something.

No BT man will be testing anything.

Change of product usually happens overnight. (if correctly ordered by ISP)

Oh, and if the new speed has been enabled, it will NOT take effect until you DO restart your Hub. IF the upgrade has been done the line will be connected at whatever it can achieve. IP profile will be set at 2 Mbps and can take a few hours to adjust in response to line speed and line errors as monitored by the exchange equipment.