Getting an HD TV

JAStewart

I'm looking to get an HD TV in the near future and I'm wondering what advice you HD-TV-owners would give me.

Essentially:

- Can't be ridiculously large, as in 40", probably about 32" MAX because I'm not putting it in a large space.

- It's primarily for gaming (Xbox 360)

- It doesn't need (but probably comes with anyway) a DVD player or a USB thing.

- Not hugely bothered about the sound quality

- I presume ALL come with an HDMI and Scart lead but I will need these.

What's better for gaming? Plasma or LCD?

Is it worth getting it in Shetland? I've found like 30" ones on Amazon for about £400, which is about £1000 less than I thought I'd have to pay.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 40" Samsung LED tv, absolutley amazing picture.

I checked all the usual haunts on the internet but none could beat the price i paid at Goerge Robertsons, they've just opened up a floor upstairs with all the latest ranges in HD, LED and 3D tv's, have a look in there, they were really helpful and also offered to order a tv if they didn't have in what i was looking for.

Not sure about the built in dvd players though, i think they just come with the smaller size tv's.

Goodluck.

ps. Modern Warfare2 on the ps3 is bloody amazing on the LED;)

If it's primarily for gaming, take a look at response times, as thats where the real difference is. You want something nice and quick to keep all the action sharp.

Regarding leads, almost for certain, there will be none with it, but they're not too expensive, however like any connector/cable, you get what you pay for.

Normally I'd mention how important I believe networking is for a new TV, but since you have an XBox thats irrelevant, and you can potentially save a lot of money by simply buying a monitor instead of a TV.

"I'm looking to get an HD TV in the near future and I'm wondering what advice you HD-TV-owners would give me."

In a word, don't.

http://www.wariscrime.com/2008/12/15/news/digital-tv-mind-control-by-the-sound-of-silence/

http://www.zimbio.com/blogtopicz/articles/267/Digital+HDTV+Mind+Control

http://www.cuttingedge.org/news/n2370.cfm

I'm glad I pit my wan oot. Dunna miss it at all

What's better for gaming? Plasma or LCD?

Is it worth getting it in Shetland? I've found like 30" ones on Amazon for about £400, which is about £1000 less than I thought I'd have to pay.

for gaming you cannot beat a plasma tv, but where it is amazing for gaming it is just ok for everything else.

GOD NO dont buy a tv up here as you will pay through the teeth for it plus the selection is very limited. Play.com do good deals on tv's with free delivery i have ordered from there before and can recommend them.

the best make of tv's is LG followed closley by sony but samsung have a very good price range and decent tvs

GOD NO dont buy a tv up here as you will pay through the teeth for it plus the selection is very limited. Play.com do good deals on tv's with free delivery i have ordered from there before and can recommend them.

the best make of tv's is LG followed closley by sony but samsung have a very good price range and decent tvs

As am sure you stated before Zebbidy you don't get out to do much shopping locally so i'm not surprised by your latest 'anti-local' buying policy.

Some people can't be bothered to go for a look around for good deals JAS but I'm sure you being a fit young man could easily hop skip it to your local retailers and check out the prices then compare to the internet. At least then you've covered all bases. Even Tesco may be worth a look as well....you never know!

Cheers and let us know how you get on!

I checked all the usual haunts on the internet but none could beat the price i paid at Goerge Robertsons, they've just opened up a floor upstairs with all the latest ranges in HD, LED and 3D tv's, have a look in there, they were really helpful and also offered to order a tv if they didn't have in what i was looking for.

Not sure about the built in dvd players though, i think they just come with the smaller size tv's.

Goodluck.

JAS,

Just to balance up what Zebbidy said in his post I'm sure you've probably seen the one above! :wink:

Cheers

We have a Samsung 40"- picture amazing - but never really been happy with the sound. we bought speakers from geordie robertsons and now we feel we have the complete package. ps we did not buy our tv from Geordie Robertsons as the were not working with tvs at the time - but would highly recommend a visit - and you must try the 3D tv - amazing

As am sure you stated before Zebbidy you don't get out to do much shopping locally so i'm not surprised by your latest 'anti-local' buying policy.

Some people can't be bothered to go for a look around for good deals JAS but I'm sure you being a fit young man could easily hop skip it to your local retailers and check out the prices then compare to the internet. At least then you've covered all bases. Even Tesco may be worth a look as well....you never know!

Cheers and let us know how you get on!

eh i have never said that? i said i do not support local shops as the selection of items i want is in such a small range and way too over priced, everywhere in shetland and thats why i do my shopping online for most things, if i had money to waste then i would shop up here given the fact i spoke to someone who actually who knew what they were speaking about and not someone who just took a stab in the dark in the info i was needing

Goodluck.

JAS,

Just to balance up what Zebbidy said in his post I'm sure you've probably seen the one above! :wink:

Cheers

stop stirring the sh*t ISOT!

i never said anything about lcd tv's being bad for anything, LCD tvs are really good for 90% of things but you do get a better picture with a plasma for gaming thats all i was saying so you can just settle pettle and stop trying to stir things up

GOD NO dont buy a tv up here as you will pay through the teeth for it plus the selection is very limited.

This may have been true a year or so ago but is not the case now. As others have mentioned, some local retailers are paying attention and have done something about it. Bolts has always gotten a hammering in this kind of topic, but I happened to be in today and couldnt help but notice the more realistic prices, not only that but warm welcome from someone who did know what they were talking about. Good on them if its a continuing trend.

Audio is an interesting aspect. I basically ignored it when choosing a TV as I already had the sound system I wanted. However even if I hadn't, I seriously doubt any flatscreen TV will pack much of a punch unless it comes with an external speaker system.

GOD NO dont buy a tv up here as you will pay through the teeth for it plus the selection is very limited.

This may have been true a year or so ago but is not the case now. As others have mentioned, some local retailers are paying attention and have done something about it.

Audio is an interesting aspect. I basically ignored it when choosing a TV as I already had the sound system I wanted. However even if I hadn't, I seriously doubt any flatscreen TV will pack much of a punch unless it comes with an external speaker system.

retailers up here are changing slowly (there price is dropping yes but not fast enough to keep up with online. if there was only about a £25 difference from online to shopping up here i would shop up here), but like i said the selection of most items like tv's are very select like sony is near enough the only tv's i have seen up here for ages, i have yet to see LG, samsung or hannspree (one of the best European tv brands)

I wasn't stirring any sh*te Zebbidy! Where did I mention LCD versus anything else? Read the post again.

The point I made was that you're banging on about NOT buying a television up here because of expense and choice, THATS a load of sh*te as previous posters have already stated!!

Just out of interest when it comes to choice when was the last time you were in the Hydro or G.R's Zebbidy? They have a godless amount of televisions on show, I didn't specifically count but there must be 20-30 on show in Robertsons new showroom with someone stating earlier if they don't have it they will try to get it.

Can't say I've been to Bolts lately but the previous poster has stated some positive comments about them too so go and check it out.

Cheers

"........but like i said the selection of most items like tv's are very select like sony is near enough the only tv's i have seen up here for ages, i have yet to see LG, samsung or hannspree (one of the best European tv brands)"

Zebidy, that shows how long its been since you visited one of these retailers and that any advice coming from you about local retailers is out-dated.

The Hydro have been selling Samsung, LG and other models for more than a couple of years now, i'm not sure how long Goerge Robertsons have been selling tv's but it's definately over a year, and there prices are comparable with any internet site, I should know, i got of my ass and looked!!!! :thmbsup