Land Opposite Isleburgh

Mutton

That's the site where the old Central School Technical/Navigation Rooms/Canteen/Gym etc were. I presume its SIC land, the Archives were in one of the old buildings, either Navigation Room or Gym, I forget which, until they moved to Hay's. Some of the now demolished buildings were used as small business units for a time.

When the complaints about the inadequacies of the current "new" library were at their height, somebody, I think it might have been Leslie Angus, suggested building a new library on the site, but I can't say I've heard it mentioned since. It does look pretty underused though, right enough.

Its at the back of my house at St Olaf Street. We had a planning notification the other week stating its to be demolished and a three storey archive and library building to be erected. (with parking for 37 vehicles)

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but have our ever thrifty Council not just built a state of the art, brand new archive within the last year or two?

Its at the back of my house at St Olaf Street. We had a planning notification the other week stating its to be demolished and a three storey archive and library building to be erected. (with parking for 37 vehicles)

Any artist's impressions with that at all?

I've heard nothing about this, you would have thought it would have made the news.

I can't find anything about it in the Planning Applications web site. Are you talking about the area opposite the Islesburgh Community Centre (old Central School) or opposite Islesburgh House?

I think they must mean the old Archives building. As for library buildings I found this.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2009/03/20/library-plan-to-cost-19m

The plan chosen to cure the chronic lack of space in the new Shetland Library will cost around £1.9 million, if the SIC agrees to add the project to its long queue for funding. The solution would see the book-lending service return across the road to the former library building while the cramped former St Ringan’s church would become a reference and study area with computer and internet services.