Our Incompetent Council

JustMe

Those of us living in parts of Lerwick will have noticed that lots of recycling bags have not been collected on 3rd January as the council told us they would be. Yes there was a notice in the Shetland Times on 31st December 2010 saying that the collection would be a week later and indeed there was something on-line saying the same thing but that was not what was said when I downloaded and printed the schedule earlier in the year.

So far as I am concerned our Incompetent Council are totally responsible for any damage cause by drunks throwing about bottles and other glass put out for collection on 3rd January and I do not think it is too much to hope that in future the council can manage to tell their customers.........that means us.....what they plan to do a reasonable time in advance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Surreal as it may sound, The council will likely take your views onboard and employ a task group aimed at targeting miscommunication with disgruntled refuse collection service users (TGAATMWDRCSU).

No accountability system will be in place until the TGAATMWDRCSU audit officer has been appointed and has systematically assessed every aspect of gains made with the new system in place. The recommendation will most certainly, I suspect, be one of better communication.

Basically. If you want a higher standard. They're going to make us pay for it.

This is the best we can expect for our money.

Quite a few smaller councils here have only promised to collect waste only and not recycling.

Folks have not just left all that rubbish in the streets for days have they?

Perhaps there was an outbrake of sickness or a vehicle or plant breakdown.

But here, we are responsible for putting our rubbish out in a safe position.

I would check, but I guess you would just get an apology.

Why is the councils fault for drunks actions, there are plenty of other weapons available if they were not. Are drunks not liable anymore?

So far as I am concerned our Incompetent Council are totally responsible for any damage cause by drunks throwing about bottles and other glass put out for collection on 3rd January and I do not think it is too much to hope that in future the council can manage to tell their customers.........that means us.....what they plan to do a reasonable time in advance.

I could scarcely disagree more.

Those throwing about bottles and glass are the ones primarily responsible for any damage caused.

Of secondary responsibility are those who left the bottles and glass out knowing that the collection had been delayed by a week.

For those who didn't see the Shetland Times or online advice, it surely isn't beyond their wit and wisdom to be aware of the non-collection of recyclable material and keep it on their own property for the following week.

The council decided to spend money on radio and newspaper adverts saying that the refuse collection this Christmas would be as normal except, I think, for Fetlar. Yet those same radio adverts could have told people that their recycling bags would not be collected.

Now the trusting folk living in my part of Lerwick having been told from the recycling calendar that recycling would be collected on 3rd January put their bags of bottles, tins and plastic out for recycling. I guess those with their bags just outside their gates will move them back inside but I have doubts that the considerable piles of recycling bags at the top of the various lanes will shrink by much.

Yes the council did put an advert in the paper dated 31st December 2011. That will be the issue I only buy for the Shetland Times calendar. Reckon that counts as too little advertising of a change and too late which to my mind counts as incompetence.

This rant is like the ones folk put up about not gettin thier rubbish collected, at the end of the day its only a black bag, why do people worry so much about stuff they're dumping?

The essy guys and the recycling fellas have christmas too.

And as for your going by an old timetable when the council have clearly issued an update to that schedule, ... Merry Christmas :D

(*** Mod - personal remarks removed ***)

The essy guys and the recycling fellas have christmas too.

And as for your going by an old timetable when the council have clearly issued an update to that schedule, ... Merry Christmas :D

Well of course the essy crew and the recycling chaps do deserve Christmas. That is not the issue. In fact I would not have any problems if they had the bank holidays off as well.

What I have an issue with is that the council did not do enough to inform people that although the trash was being collected the recycling stuff was not. An update on the council website and an advert in the New Years Eve edition of the Times clearly was not enough to counteract the impression people had that collections would be as usual as demonstrated by the sheer volume of recycling bags left out. Incidentally the "old timetable" you refer to is still shown on the council website.

Which brings me to the reason I have an issue with the recycling stuff just being left in piles at the top of the lanes (and certainly a lot of it was still there this morning). The bags may get blown around and cause damage to parked, or even moving, cars as well as making a noise that can disturb residents. And even more worrying is the chance of some drunken numpty deciding it would be fun to throw some bottles at cars or peoples windows.

And before anyone asks my recycling stuff is still in my kitchen since I do not have a car to take it to the dump.

I think in the time that you have wasted whining about the council not collecting your recyclables you could have walked to the dump and back several times.

I also think it is ridiculous to suggest the council is responsible for drunken behaviour. There is plenty of relavent topics that the council are to blame for...

I think in the time that you have wasted whining about the council not collecting your recyclables you could have walked to the dump and back several times.

I also think it is ridiculous to suggest the council is responsible for drunken behaviour. There is plenty of relavent topics that the council are to blame for...

Of course the council is not responsible for drunken behaviour (or at least not very often) but the council should, as a responsible authority, consider the possible results of their actions or inactions. Perhaps a good example would be closing the public toilets at midnight yet allowing drinking till 2am and food takeaways to operate even later. Other councils have addressed this problem but not ours.

Incidentally I have not whined about the council not collecting my recyclables which are still cluttering up my kitchen.

Well the council can only be as good as the people working for it. Which are our friends, family and neighbours etc etc.

Incidently, you are whining, you added another whine by informing us 'your recyclables are still cluttering up your kitchen'

Why dont you put them outside or in garage, shed, binbox etc etc etc etc or just bin them!!!!!!!

Well the council can only be as good as the people working for it. Which are our friends, family and neighbours etc etc.

Incidently, you are whining, you added another whine by informing us 'your recyclables are still cluttering up your kitchen'

Why dont you put them outside or in garage, shed, binbox etc etc etc etc or just bin them!!!!!!!

When is a whine not a whine?. When it a statement of fact. Kind of lacking a shed or a load of etc's. And the council is indeed only as good as the people working for it and some of those people are not very good. Yes a minority, perhaps even a small minority, but some of them are not very good.