Does Shetland need some wireless hotspots?

BigMick

Just curious.

Is there any demand in any Shetland business for a wireless hotspot system? Say for example the airport, hotels, the toll clock shopping center, pubs even the ferries.

Do we need such devices? Would they ever be used? Are there enough customers up here to make it worthwhile?

What do you think?

--

BigMick

I know Visit Shetland has one around Victria Pier, mainly for the use of yachts. Not sure if theres any more. There is some sort of internet access at the Airport, but not sure if it's a hotspot or fixed terminals.

It would be good to have more, they cant be expensive to operate, I have one in my house after all.

The ferries would be an excellent place, not sure about the logistics of getting an internet connection on a moving ship, but it would sure while away those long boring journeys, especially if you cant get a cabin.

So save starting another thread what do you all think of having some sort of mobile internet trolley in the Gilbert Bain so people too sick to go home but well enough to sit up in bed and answer e-mails can stay in contact with friends. WiFi as well if it would not interfere with hospital equipment.

Is there a "league of friends" for the hospital and is this something they could do.

When my mum was in the Aberdeen Royal earlier this year each bed had a TV/Phone/Internet screen thing that was attached to the wall using that contraption that makes a dentist chair's light movable. Do you know what I mean? It was expensive, but certainly useful.

Yep, they are expensive to use, even if you just want to watch telly. I fear the cash strapped NHS would prefer to install them than provide any kind of internet access as a resonably priced service. There are many patients who find them selves unexpectedly in hospital and as a result their earnings are hit. I suspect there has been many a donated telly removed too to make room for those things.

So yes to internet access in the hospital but only if it's cheap to use.

As to the boat issue, I believe that the British Antartic Survey provide internet access on its ships when operating even in that antartic for use of scientists and crew. I don't think there satellite based system is what you would call affordable though !!

Saying that I would not have thought it would be beyond reason to get a wireless broadband signal to a ferry. Would depend on crossing length but it could probably be done, in fact I hear the SIC may even be looking into it. Not sure if its meant for public use though.

Wirelss hotspots in general should be encouraged and should be made affordable. Or free if at all possible. It may be worthwhile for some types of business to attract customers. Places such as the musem toll clock etc as prime candidates for this.

Just curious.

Is there any demand in any Shetland business for a wireless hotspot system? Say for example the airport, hotels, the toll clock shopping center, pubs even the ferries.

Do we need such devices? Would they ever be used? Are there enough customers up here to make it worthwhile?

What do you think?

--

BigMick

I can confirm that the tourist office at Sumburgh Airport does provide a Wireless Hotspot although they do charge for it (couple of quid an hour or something).

I don't know if there would be a big take-up. It would certainly be handy but it would need to be free. The biggest use I can see would be for the Hotels to incorporate it for visiting tourists. Pubs? I can't see many folks wanting to take their laptops into the (current) drinking establishments around Shetland. Again it might work in some Hotel's Lounge Bars.

Wireless on the ferry would certainly be welcome but it would need to be provided free before I would make use of it. They would then need to recoup the costs somehow which would probably result in increased fares.

Hi Pooks,

I'm playing devil's advocate here: why should it be provided for free?

There is the cost of the hardware, the monthly connection costs and the price of creating the hotspot software in the first place. Surely the costs would mean that (as you mentioned) the price would have to be recouped somewhere else.

Perhaps it would make more sense to make it cheap enough to be easily affordable - say a couple of quid for 24 hour access or sommat? That way the consumer with no interest in using the service would not end up paying for the consumer who does want to use the service.

--

BigMick

Hi Pooks,

There is the cost of the hardware, the monthly connection costs and the price of creating the hotspot software in the first place. Surely the costs would mean that (as you mentioned) the price would have to be recouped somewhere else.

Perhaps it would make more sense to make it cheap enough to be easily affordable - say a couple of quid for 24 hour access or sommat? That way the consumer with no interest in using the service would not end up paying for the consumer who does want to use the service.

--

BigMick

The cost of hardware is not expensive if it's just a wireless router inside a building, as opposed to a more expensive piece of kit if it's an outside hotspot. Many businesses will have one already for their own use. Likewise the monthly connection fee will already be being paid in a lot of cases. Software comes with the router, unless you want specific software to accept payment for connecting to the hotspot.

I'm not saying everybody should or would provide it free of charge, but many businesses could see it as a means of attracting more customers, or keeping them longer spending on whatever service they provide, be it cups of tea or whatever.

Those who do charge needn't charge a lot though, a couple of quid an hour was suggested earlier as what they charge at the airport. That does seem a lot.

A hotel or guest house for example would probably only need one guest night per month to recoup the cost of providing it.

Hi Pooks,

--

BigMick

A couple of quid for 24 hour access is certainly fair enough. There is also an opportunity to include advertising as well. This perhaps wouldn't work too well with locals but it would certainly be no problem with visitors to Shetland. Most of the advertising is based at them anyway.

As has already been stated the cost of a wireless router isn't much, most businesses probably already have broadband in place, there is open source Cafe software available which works quite well although you may need a seperate machine to run it on (needn't be a fast machine).

I'll try and dig out a link that I read in the past regarding why free wireless access was more beneficial than paid for access. In the case of Coffee Shops/Bars they would be recouping the costs on the products they sell.

Perhaps I should mention the ubiquitous BT. You can subscribe to open zone through your phone bill from about fiver a month, gives u a fair few minutes if you travel off island now and then. Not really for long stints online though.

If anyone happens to be blown off course up tae Yell, there are at least two I know about. Mac Shop - free and Wind Dog Cafe - not sure possibly small charge(they charge for use of internet access on their macs.)

I agree - an indoor wireless setup for pubs, cafe's etc is a definite daytime money spinner. Provide the service for free and your traveller, business men or local who wants to do a bit of work in a more congenial environment will lap it up - they'll also be ordering coffee, drinks, snacks etc which will easily cover the outlay.

Maybe not such a good idea in the likes of the thule/posers etc, obviously. But in any guesthouses or hotels, especially rural ones it would certainly draw folk in.

Only downside is support. It'd be a right pan for a bar person to have to deal with some uptight business man having connection difficulties...

http://www.photohosting.info/uploads/85d2ab65fc.gif