Community Council elections

ariel

One thing that would help to increase interest in Community Councils is for their minutes to be more widely published............. Be good if they were available on-line. Not just Lerwick but all of them. Maybe the SIC would donate the web space and if not there are always blogs and facebook pages.

Excellent idea.

I, for one, have very little idea of what a Community Council actually does, or has any influence over.

Council minutes should always be available to any who want them, unless the meeting was in camera.

You only need to ask.

Yes indeed perhaps they are but where and in what format I know not. But what I want to see is my community council thrusting their minutes into cyberspace so they can be seen without standing on a cold street. Might even vote in community council elections if I knew more about them.

The best way would be to go along to a meeting and start from there.

There should be part of the meeting that allows comments from the public present.

From my experience here there seems to be just the same folk. So, any new face will enhance the meeting. There should be an officer or a Chair, these folk should be able to help.

You could offer to do the web site for them.

I started that way, I was concerned about the way the same councilors were part of two councils and could manipulate the decisions of the lower council in order to benefit the higher council.

It is interesting if you want to take part in the running of where you live. Starting at the parish or local community council is an ideal starting place.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing your experiences.

Actually I do not know where and when the Lerwick Community Council meets and to be honest I would not be very likely to go if I did (unless there was something I felt strongly about that the CC could deal with). That does not mean I am disinterested in what they do but reading minutes standing outside in the cold or through a window that is often obscured with condensation is hardly ideal. And I have never run a web site in my life.

Northmavine community council put their stuff online. It would be good if others did the same

http://www.northmavine.com/communitycouncil.htm

Sadly this is another "yes....but". Yes the minutes are on-line but only up to June 2010 and yes the minutes are on-line but in a .doc format that not everybody will be able to read on their computer without finding the right program to download. That said praise to whoever put a link to an Excel file viewer alongside the download of the skip rota.

This then shows that there is a problem that needs to be raised at a meeting. The minutes could be posted in a blog, they are very simple.

You have just stated your first thing you would like the council to address.

Lerwick Community Council

* Officer: Mrs Katrina Semple, Community Council Office, Stouts Court, Lerwick. 01595 692447

* Chairman: James Anderson, 66 Breiwick Road, Lerwick. 01595 693540

* Vice-Chairman: Averil Simpson, 2 Burgh Road, Lerwick. 01595 693505

o Members:

o Leslie Angus, Lystina House, Lerwick. 01595 744541

o Karen A. Fraser, 4 Hoofields, Lerwick. 01595 696528

o Stephen Gordon, 7D Browns Buildings, Lerwick. 07900 047627

o Kathleen Greaves, 2 Anderson Road, Lerwick. 01595 693225

o Andrew A. Johnston, 2 Leslie Road, Lerwick. 01595 695751

o Edward J. Knight, Vatnahool, 13 Gressy Loan, Lerwick. 01595 693099

o Robert C. Leith, 128 Sandveien, Lerwick. 07880 950248

o Michael Peterson, 3 Sandy Loch Drive, Lerwick. 07857 800606

o Damien Ristori, 3 Braefield, Lerwick. 01595 695136

o Maggie Robertson, 25 Knab Road, Lerwick. 01595 692861

o William Spence, 2 Sands of Sound, Lerwick. 01595 696368

o James A. Stewart, 45 St Olaf Street, Lerwick, 01595 696969

o William N. Stove, Dunure, 1 Lovers Loan, Lerwick. 01595 694612

+ Ex-Officio Members:

+ Alexander J. Cluness, Lystina House, Lerwick. 01595 744541

+ James H. Henry, 17 Murrayston, Lerwick. 01595 694621

+ Caroline H. J. Miller, Heogan, Bressay. 01595 820271

+ Cecil Smith, 1 Westerloch Crescent, Lerwick. 01595 694875

+ Jonathan W. G. Wills, Sundside, Bressay. 01595 820205

+ Allan Wishart, Seafield Lodge, Lower Sound, Lerwick. 01595 694224

http://shetlopedia.com/Community_Councils

One thing that would help to increase interest in Community Councils is for their minutes to be more widely published. For example the only place I know I can read the Lerwick minutes is outside the office on South Commercial Street.......not good when a cold wind is blowing. Be good if they were available on-line. Not just Lerwick but all of them. Maybe the SIC would donate the web space and if not there are always blogs and facebook pages.

The Lerwick Community Council minutes are available every month in Shetland Library. Copies can also be obtained from the community council clerk.

The minutes go back as far as 2005.

If you would like to see the minutes somewhere else or an extra copy would you except say Viking Bus Station or perhaps another place?

The clerk or chairman of the CC can again be contacted about this.

Actually I do not know where and when the Lerwick Community Council meets and to be honest I would not be very likely to go if I did (unless there was something I felt strongly about that the CC could deal with). That does not mean I am disinterested in what they do but reading minutes standing outside in the cold or through a window that is often obscured with condensation is hardly ideal. And I have never run a web site in my life.

The meetings are held monthly in the Town Hall Chamber and the general public are entitled to be present.

What they achieve is down to how much effort members put in.

Exactly right. The annual voar redd up for example has its roots in an initiative started by the Unst Community council circa early 1980s.

If you have community council with members and staff who are prepared to take initiative and drive ideas forward they can make things happen on fairly limited budgets.